The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found out about an hour before leaving work this morning it was a long weekend. I've had the car for a month and a half and I'm tired of driving a Creamsicle looking Lotus. I'm leaning toward a silver I have on hand. We'll see once I spray some.

Fridays are short for me. I got home at noon and started blowing it apart.

The new clam, filled signals, and front of the passenger door need the most attention.

It took way too long to find the connectors for the door wiring. I had to take it around the block without them. It's a whole new experience.

The T is not centered and none of these dims match each other. Is this normal?

Fishing line and some acetone made short work of the emblem.

I got the clam off, removed the door seals and spent an entire hour removing the Star Shield from the driver's sill. I'm not looking forward to the other side.

There's more space back here than expected. I'm going to have to estimate how big of a sub enclosure I can build.

·
Administrator
5,184 Posts
tic tock tic tock you got a good start on your holiday paint!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ask one might expect, I got a lot less done than planned. The wind didn't agree with my paint booth plans so I decided to just shoot al fresco. Prep takes forever. I got one door, the rear clam, engine cover, roll bar cover and hinge covers in the silver base.

I wasn't happy with the color so I went and got some Storm Titanium.

I spent eight hours on it yesterday. Twelve today. The garage is a disaster. I need more space.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
661 Posts
Nice shooting!!!!!

Reactions: KA67_72

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I’m always amazed when people shoot outside without a paint booth. Good luck. Storm Titanium is a great color!

·
Administrator
5,184 Posts
Looks great! I know my old neighbors don't miss my impromptu outdoor syraying

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Looks great. I might've filled some of those body lines on the front and rear clams.

Whenever I try to paint outside, I always get a random bug that suicide dives into my new finish, haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spraying outside requires acceptance of what is inevitably going to land in it. The door has one small bug dead center. The clam has quite a bit more debris in it. Hopefully most of it will sand out.

I built this when I painted my T. It was up for months. It was fully enclosed with a squirrel cage blowing from the top of the opposite end. I think I took this as I was taking it down. I had a man door in the other end. I would have reassembled it but all the wood has apparently been cut up for other things.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's sill day. Everything is in clear but sills and the front clam. The clam prep may take a few days.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looking good! Do you have the BOE clam hinge? If I were going to this extent, I'd also paint the inside of the rear clam so that it's more appealing when tilted. My trunk could also use a re-spray...

Are you doing any of the recommended updates while both clams are off?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I was told all of the updates and tsb's were done. I plan to make a hinge at some point.

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got back at this afternoon. I prepped the ront clam and got it in base. Getting the inner bolts back in the door bars was a challenge.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
This is just my opinion but I do believe that you are doing a fantastic job with this car. You are doing this car a great service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is just my opinion but I do believe that you are doing a fantastic job with this car. You are doing this car a great service.
Thank you very much. So far it's gone surprisingly well and mostly dirt free.

Kevin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the front clam out in the sun this morning and decided it needed more blocking.

I disassembled the mirrors and prepped the access panels. One panel is aftermarket and needed a bit more attention. I got enough coats of clear on everything before it started raining. It caught me completely off guard. The mirrors are still hanging out there by the Ranger. I was rolling the clam inside between coats.

This is surely going to go off before I can use it.

I've started color sanding the rear clam. I don't think it's going to need more clear. The front turned out much cleaner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Afaik this is the worst spot on the car. This is after sanding with 1500 grit and a pass with Fine-Cut cleaner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So my weekend project ended up spanning 19 days. It was three full weekends and some evenings. About 90 hours and $363. I drove it to work for the first time today. It's supposed to be overcast all week. I haven't seen it in the sun yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts