The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My son moved to Newport Beach and loves California.

So he is now looking for something permanent.

The objectives are under 400k, as close to the coast as possible and in the vicinity of Newport.

He's found a new Townshouse in Valencia.

Seems like a nice and growing community.

Any opinions on the area, resale etc?

Suggestions of other areas in the the price range he is looking for? We have looked a number of repos but the amount of work on them is too much (he is not handy).

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction.

Jeff

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
595 Posts
Nice area but if it is for me, I wouldn't buy Townhouse. Take forever to resale later and I don't like HOA. Too much of restriction. Just buy a house, maybe little bit more but much easier to resale.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nice area but if it is for me, I wouldn't buy Townhouse. Take forever to resale later and I don't like HOA. Too much of restriction. Just buy a house, maybe little bit more but much easier to resale.
You can resell homes in CA right now? News to me :shrug: :p

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I purchased a California townhouse (Northern CA, near San Francisco) and 'did well' when I sold it (up 10% in 3 years).

That said, I don't think I'd ever buy a townhouse again. When the market takes a dive, a townhouse will lose value the fastest. When the market climbs, townhouse values trail real house values.

But this biggest reason: HOAs are a pain. The HOA fee is always going up and quite often the HOA decides to do stupid things (speed bumps for instance). Its VERY easy to end up with pissed off little old ladies on an HOA who can make your life miserable. It didn't happen to me (I just sort of ignored them), but it can happen. The other thing that can happen (and this did happen to me) is that the HOA can sue somebody (our HOA sued the builders because some of the units had cracks in their driveway) and now NOBODY wants to buy your townhouse because there is 'pending litigation'. The HOA won't answer questions about the pending litigation because its pending. Our unit took an extra 6 months to sell because of pending litigation. It was a HUGE pain in the ass.

Just remember this: When you have an HOA, you don't control your own destiny.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Valencia? Have you looked on a map? Valencia is no where near Newport or the coast.

If he wants to stay in the Orange County area I would reccomend Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Laguna Beach and maybe Seal Beach.

Hi,

My son moved to Newport Beach and loves California.

So he is now looking for something permanent.

The objectives are under 400k, as close to the coast as possible and in the vicinity of Newport.

Suggestions of other areas in the the price range he is looking for? We have looked a number of repos but the amount of work on them is too much (he is not handy).

Thanks in advance for any advice/direction.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Where does he work? I have a number of friends that bought up in Valencia 5-10 years ago that work in the LA area. Their commutes were initially about 45 minutes but now have started turning into 1-2 hour nightmare commutes. For me in LA the number one thing is to try to keep my drive as short as possible because the morning freeway commute is horrible and only going to get worse. Valencia is nice if you like the new manufactured city feel with only chain type shops and big box stores but it's really not close to anything else. It also gets hot as pizza oven in hell in the summer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I live in Valencia, Ca. and I love it~New mall, tpc golf course, fresh air, six flags, water park, ice skating...etc etc... come one come all it's the place to be!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I lived in Valencia for the last 15 years until a few months ago. You didn't say how old your son is. Valencia is a great community for young marrieds who have, or plan to have kids but there is NOTHING of interest for young singles. As Type 28 mentioned, it's no where near Newport. I work in Burbank which, as the crow flies is only 20 miles, as Pixlpush mentioned, the commute has become really bad. there is basicly only one way in or out of that valley (the 5 freeway) and more and more homes are being built up there so what used to be a fairly easy commute has become pretty rough. Wheren does he work. If it's anywhere near Newport, forget it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I purchased a California townhouse (Northern CA, near San Francisco) and 'did well' when I sold it (up 10% in 3 years).

That said, I don't think I'd ever buy a townhouse again. When the market takes a dive, a townhouse will lose value the fastest. When the market climbs, townhouse values trail real house values.

But this biggest reason: HOAs are a pain. The HOA fee is always going up and quite often the HOA decides to do stupid things (speed bumps for instance). Its VERY easy to end up with pissed off little old ladies on an HOA who can make your life miserable. It didn't happen to me (I just sort of ignored them), but it can happen. The other thing that can happen (and this did happen to me) is that the HOA can sue somebody (our HOA sued the builders because some of the units had cracks in their driveway) and now NOBODY wants to buy your townhouse because there is 'pending litigation'. The HOA won't answer questions about the pending litigation because its pending. Our unit took an extra 6 months to sell because of pending litigation. It was a HUGE pain in the ass.

Just remember this: When you have an HOA, you don't control your own destiny.
Yup..well stated..been there done that. My previous townhome was on the market for 3 years in a lukewarm market,even though it was near the lower end of the price range in the area.

Also you would be suprised at what fees the HOA can assess. They wanted to charge each homeowner a 15k surcharge/affix a 2nd lien on the townhomes due to the developer going bankrupt.

And the clubhouse repairs always took precedent over my leaky roof ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I live in Valencia, Ca. and I love it~New mall, tpc golf course, fresh air, six flags, water park, ice skating...etc etc... come one come all it's the place to be!!!
And scolding 110 in summer and 30s in winter. And yeah, don't come down south through the 405 without hotel reservation and a full tank of gas, it'll take you hours.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hi,

Velancia is about 78 miles North of Newport Beach.
- and that's the shortest route thru Downtown LA.
80 miles if you take the 405 fwy route.

If a proximity to Newport is job related, that'd basically be considered a "commute from hell".

I've read commuting time is a fraction of a bit slower now due to high gas prices, but I'm guessing it'd still take about 2 hours each way.

Valencia is a really nice suburb, but for quality of life, if he needs to be near Newport, renting is probably a better option than dealing with that kind of commute. (and cheaper if gas prices keep climbing!)

But I'm fairly certain that there's a townhouse that's equally as nice near Newport, maybe not in as good a town as Valencia, but there's gotta be some good "pocket" communities down there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Costa Mesa and Irvine are great places to move to and stay in the "newport" vicinity without the newport prices. Laguna Beach is a little on the high side also. For younger people, Costa Mesa is an obvious choice. Nightlife, fun things to do, 5 minutes or less from the beach with all the coastal weather advantages. Irvine is more for the business oriented type of person that doesnt really have too much time for fun things.
I lived in Orange County for about 10 years, and the only thing I miss is the weather. Traffic is just getting ridiculous and generally a lot of rude people. I'm now in the Temecula area and love it. A 5 bedroom 3800 sq. ft. home with a pool and a 3 car garage in this area goes for about 300k. Ill take the huge house and pay the 10 degrees of heat in the summer any day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts