The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Yamaha home entertainment speakers and receivers for years now and although I still like them, I think it's time for an upgrade to match my plasma so to some of you who know better, what kind, type should I be looking at? I want to be under $600 so any advice would be welcomed. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would look at NHT speakers. Good quality, great sound (not quite audiophile level, but close) and nice looking. I've had a pair for years with no problems.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw some prices on EBay and looks like $600 was just wishful thinking :sad: so does anyone know of a good name brand for digital speakers that I can get for under $1K? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've had my NHT's for 11 years now (Zero Ones, which i believe have been replaced with the ZeroTwo's) and have been quite pleased.
But they can be a bit pricey, especially if you're looking to stay under $600.

At the price range, you're probably looking at medium priced packages - essentially just another Yamaha system, or a Bose system.

You might just want to stick with your current speakers or consider just upgrading individual components - like a improved center speaker or sub-woofer. - both of which are very important if you're running 5.1 a lot.

It's important to realize that unlike TV's and many other components, a good set of speakers can literally last a lifetime.
since getting my speakers I've replaced just about every component and been thru a couple TVs - but the speakers have remained the same. - I'm rather pleased at my initial $1200 purchase, and I can't foresee replacing them anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You might just want to stick with your current speakers or consider just upgrading individual components - like a improved center speaker or sub-woofer. - both of which are very important if you're running 5.1 a lot.

It's important to realize that unlike TV's and many other components, a good set of speakers can literally last a lifetime.
since getting my speakers I've replaced just about every component and been thru a couple TVs - but the speakers have remained the same. - I'm rather pleased at my initial $1200 purchase, and I can't foresee replacing them anytime in the near future.
You might be right, I have 4-rectangular Yamaha speakers (one on each corner on stands), 1-Yamaha center speaker, 1-Yamaha sub woofer, a Yamaha receiver and don't know why but 2-Sony floor speakers (or atleast that's what I use it for). Sound is great and I don't have any issues with it but everytime I go to department stores that sell these items, I always feel the need to upgrade...:shrug:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Considering your budget and that you have a real component receiver, I wouldn't pair it with a glorified PC game speaker system.

Infinity Primus series speakers are a great value and excellent performers. For $600 you can build a complete 5.1 system with an Infinity powered subwoofer.

Infinity Primus Theater Pack II
Infinity 8" Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
126 Posts
how about b and w's? i have the 600 series and enjoyed it for years. start around 1300 for the floorstanding and 500 for the bookshelf and that's per pair.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does anyone know about this? I think it's for home entertainment also.

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital Surround Gaming Speakers
They're pretty mediocre computer speakers. You can use them for whatever you want - there's nothing really "digital" about the speakers themselves. You'd be far better off taking previous suggestions, looking at something like the NHT SuperZeros, or their successors, the Absolute Zeros.

And for all practical purposes, all speakers are analog.

John

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
1. What are "digital" speakers?

2. Don't buy Bose. Bose sucks.

3. In the $600-ish range you might find a good bookshelf sized pair of B&W, Paradigm, Energy, or something along those lines. I personally favor the Klipsch sound, but many people do not. Combine them with a decent 10" sub and you'll probably be very happy, assuming you send them a good signal and your room isn't terrible.

xtn

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Maggies rule.:cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for your suggestions :up: and regarding digital speakers, I overheard a salesman talking about it and automatically assumed....that teaches me. :thwack:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
1. What are "digital" speakers?

2. Don't buy Bose. Bose sucks.

3. In the $600-ish range you might find a good bookshelf sized pair of B&W, Paradigm, Energy, or something along those lines. I personally favor the Klipsch sound, but many people do not. Combine them with a decent 10" sub and you'll probably be very happy, assuming you send them a good signal and your room isn't terrible.

xtn
I also prefer (and have) Klipsch...but I don't bring it up on audiophile threads cause they like to bash em for some reason. :D

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Thanks guys for your suggestions :up: and regarding digital speakers, I overheard a salesman talking about it and automatically assumed....that teaches me. :thwack:
A lot of people throw the word "digital" around like it's some sort of panacea. Mostly sales people or most especially marketing people. Digital does have some benefits over analog, but it also has some weak points. All depends on the application, and the implementation.

That of course applies to things that actually are digital. Speakers are not.

xtn

·
Registered
584 Posts
FWIW, I was advised by others (as I know nothing about home theater) and I just had a system installed using Monitor Audio in-ceiling speakers and they sound fantastic! 3 C380LCR (list is $600 each - your budget) and 2 C380FX (list is $500 each)

The first movie I ran scared the cats out of the room - perfect!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Don't get a mono sub, go stereo.

There are some good built-ins that are cheaper.
You could just keep adding them.

In some houses you can build in subs.
I recommend 18" in each corner if you have room.

You might consider buying used.
Last year's race car, you know.

If you're willing, you could improve your acoustics.
Most places absorb most of the sound, especially the bass.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts