The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recently done home improvement/remodeling? I'm wondering how much it would cost to tear out all carpet in a 1300 sq. ft. house, and replace the living room, dinning room with hard wood flooring, then replace bedrooms and stairs with new carpet. So figure about half and half on the hard wood flooring and carpet for the entire 1300 sq. ft. Any idea?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's easy to find a good deal on carpet. Figure $2/sq ft to $8/sq ft depending on quality. You should be able to get a place who's doing a free remove/install/padding special, and a lot of times they have good financing deals.

My carpet cost me $2.5K for 900sq ft. Good quality and 3year 0% intrest financing.

Think of where your going to be in 2/5/15 years. If your going to sell in the next 2 years, wait until then to replace, it'll boost your selling presentation.

I don't know about wood flooring. But many of the carpet stores do wood flooring as well.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
33 Posts
We did this two years ago when we moved into our home in Redondo. We tore the carpet out ourselves (we have a small house though), it was a bit of a pain but we had a big dumster at the time because we were a bunch of work on the house (added some walls, built a couple of closets, etc.). We got the carpeting at Home Depot. I don't remember the cost but it was resonable and they installed it.

Cary

·
Registered
118 Posts
IIRC, a good hardwood floor (like Pergo) is about $10/sq.ft. installed. Real (solid) hardwood is often more expensive and harder to take care of. Cheaper imitations can be found. A durable alternative to hardwood is bamboo. It's nice because, in addition to being durable, it grows back incredibly fast (bamboo trees can grow 10-30ft/year). It has a different character than hardwoods, such as oak or walnut, but it's supposed to be very durable.

For a floor material like Pergo (or any of the similar laminated products), you could probably install it yourself (it floats on the floor, where solid hardwood has to be individually nailed), provided you had a means of cutting the pieces cleanly and accurately (table saw or miter box). This stuff costs $3-$7 per sq.ft., usually in 100sq.ft. increments.

Depending on the age of your house, you might have hardwood hiding under the carpet. Many (most) houses built before 1960 had hardwood floors, but were covered with carpet in the 60's and 70's. If your house is older, you might want to pull up a corner and check, as refinishing is usually cheaper than installing new floors.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. The house that I'm looking at is 2-3 years old. It has white carpet now, however the edges (near the walls) are dirty and in some locations, kinda ugly. I've always like hardwood floors (or tile flooring). I'm just trying to figure out the cost before I decide whether I should put an offer on the house or keep looking around. :eek:

·
Registered
132 Posts
my father is a handy man and has many contacts with flooring guys. He did his sun room, family room/kitchen and front entrance/hallway for some crazy cheap price, i can't recall right now. But let me know when/what you decide and i can have him give you some quotes. Both raw material if you want to DIY or materials and labor.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I redid a lot of my home in oak hardwood flooring, including the kitchen. I like hardwood, it's easy to maintain and keep clean.

One key thing is the type of subfloor you now have. Plywood on concrete? It's not as cheap I think to put hardwood planks on a slab floor. We have raised floor.

The cost of installing wood flooring was a little more than carpet, about the cost of very good carpet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
alot. 1100 sqr feet of hard wood floor that snaps together like home depo was 6500.00 buck i can't remember completely
no idea on carpet i haven't gotten that far.
i have a bitchen landscaper

·
Registered
118 Posts
yeah that pergo stuff David mentioned is pretty cool. I considered replacing the tile in my house with it, but I ran out of remodeling money (and the tile was still good anyways).

Are you looking at buying a new place vincet? I just assumed you were talking about your old.

Jay W
505/287 Dakota

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah...Jason. In fact, we just put an offer in yesterday. Now I'm just waiting for the seller to either accept the offer or conterstrike back. This house has carpet in the dinning and family rooms, I don't like carpet in the dinning and family rooms. That's why I asked. BTW, this house is 6 yrs. old rather than 2-3 yrs. that I said earlier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts