The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi James,
Wish I had money to spend on a new home theater! Very true about listening first though. What speaker set do you like for ~ $5k?

Lotus has had to go through considerably more trouble to get this car to the U.S. than Merc or BMW had with AMG or M models. I got on the list for my C32 6 months before buying one off the lot, but it would have arrived on schedule (and the dealer knew when it would arrive too). The car was not as coveted as this one though and the C-class had already been released the year before. These days, AMG intends to release their version concurrently with new product launches (or very close to).

I had previously been on the M3 list 12 months before release, but dropped out to get the aforementioned C32. I think they had a few delays. Things were decently smooth on BMW's part if I remember, but the real fuss came from the bloody dealers. The same thing happened with the Mini. I think there is more emotional attachment to the Elise on my part this time. No one had driven an M3 and the E46 version just didn't exist before we got it on these shores.

If you're a first time Ferrari customer, I'm sure that experience is a nightmare. Better to buy a used one first...such is the U.S. Deep contrast to Aston Martin.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Vantage, Definative Technology ! Man oh man they are absoultely wonderful speakers! They have a range of speakers and I haven't found any in the range I don't like.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My uncle has the BP7000 setup for his main speakers. I came home to watch the same DVD on mine and said, "where did all of the bass go?". You feel it more than you hear it.

I'm partial to NHT and Monitor Audio for my price range, though I don't own either.

·
Registered
163 Posts
James A said:
Vantage, Definative Technology ! Man oh man they are absoultely wonderful speakers! They have a range of speakers and I haven't found any in the range I don't like.
I'll second that. I have Def Techs and are very happy with them even though they are more towards the "entry level" system for their bi-polar with powered subs (I think ~$3000 got bi-polar fronts, upgraded center, in-wall bi-polar sides and in-wall center rear). Dealer will deal in price too. I think I got ~15% off MSRP which isn't a lot, but not bad since they were the only local dealer at the time.

http://www.definitivetechnologies.com/

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
420HP said:
I'll second that. I have Def Techs and are very happy with them even though they are more towards the "entry level" system for their bi-polar with powered subs (I think ~$3000 got bi-polar fronts, upgraded center, in-wall bi-polar sides and in-wall center rear). Dealer will deal in price too. I think I got ~15% off MSRP which isn't a lot, but not bad since they were the only local dealer at the time.

http://www.definitivetechnologies.com/
def techs are, hands down, the best speakers on the market today. I've heard speakers that are 30k each and the def techs are right there with them.

I just picked up my Sony VPL-HS20 projector. Only 1-2 more weeks before I have my home theater painted, projector mounted, and 86" of glory on my home-made screen.

As for Mean TT, I feel for you. I'm frustrated. I'm hoping that Lotus, in an attempt to be a better company, will work out there issues. This is the only way to the next level for them. If they don't, history will repeat itself.....again.....

I'm still going to wait for my car.... What does it hurt? Sure, my financing is going to be all f'd up because my car is 3 months behind schedule... but it's not going to kill me to wait a bit more. It will all work out in the end.

·
Registered
154 Posts
re: speakers < $5k

I will never own any speakers other than B&W.

I have the 60x series 3's in my home and I have never heard a more musical set for the price.

They handle home theater equally impressively.

My wife (who hates big speakers) actually loves them as well.

My next set will be the 8xx line.

Robert

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Speaking from an unbias standpoint, only as an engineer - from my experience nothing comes close to Harman speakers. Although, the newer Energy and B&W are catching up. I used to work at Harman doing lots of measurements and double blind listening tests of towers/bookshelfs/inwalls/satellites/centers. And there is a corelation between the objective and subjective. Based on our measurements, we could pretty much guess who would come in 1-2-3-4 place. Not only that, but what problems we would hear based on the measurements.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
shay2nak said:
Speaking from an unbias standpoint, only as an engineer - from my experience nothing comes close to Harman speakers. Although, the newer Energy and B&W are catching up. I used to work at Harman doing lots of measurements and double blind listening tests of towers/bookshelfs/inwalls/satellites/centers. And there is a corelation between the objective and subjective. Based on our measurements, we could pretty much guess who would come in 1-2-3-4 place. Not only that, but what problems we would hear based on the measurements.
I'm sure that you're VERY familiar with the speakers I'm running in my main system.

Infinity Overture 3 for the main left/right and Overture 1 for my center and 4 rear surrounds.

Great speakers. I use them with a Denon AVR 5803 and Sunfire Sub.

My secondary system uses Infinity RS speakers all around with a Mirage bipolar sub and Yamaha RXV 2095.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Split off from the Motor Trend thread

P.S. I am cheap. I have a set of Atlantic Technology speakers and powered subwoofers. A good compromise for movies and music... very small so I can hide them... and cheap. Did I mention cheap?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Johnny B said:
I'm sure that you're VERY familiar with the speakers I'm running in my main system.

Infinity Overture 3 for the main left/right and Overture 1 for my center and 4 rear surrounds.

Great speakers. I use them with a Denon AVR 5803 and Sunfire Sub.

My secondary system uses Infinity RS speakers all around with a Mirage bipolar sub and Yamaha RXV 2095.
yes, i've seen both the Overture 1 & 3. I only had a chance to listen to the Overture 1 and i did like them. Especially with it's very compact configuration. I don't have measurements on either. Which RS speakers do you have?

my primary system is:
fronts - interlude 50
center - interlude 36c
rear - interlude 10
subs - i run both 10" subs from the IL 50s
receiver - H/K AVR 7000

secondary system:
fronts - oversized bookshelfs of my own design (2 way 6" woofer)
receiver - H/K AVR 320
i'm still trying to score a pair of Entra .5 satellites and it's matching center

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I moved to Atlanta about a year ago and started over completely with the home theater, in fact the pople who bought our house in Houston bought it with the home theater.
I had Def. Tech. in Houston and bought the same fronts here with BPXs for the sides and rear. Went with a powered center this time also and love it. One of the big changes here was going with a DLP projector. I bought a Runco and I have to say it is fantastic, I went with a 110 inch Stewart Film Screen the combination is stunning.
The only problem with a really good home theater is that I just don't like going to the movies as the sound systems don't cut it, sticky floors, and cell phones going off. I wiat on a lot of movies to come out on DVD now.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Randy Chase said:
P.S. I am cheap. I have a set of Atlantic Technology speakers and powered subwoofers. A good compromise for movies and music... very small so I can hide them... and cheap. Did I mention cheap?
I think cheap is a good way to go, unless you're going to invest the time and money to create the right *room* for the speakers - otherwise, their performance will be hurt. Even a low budget system can produce fantastic, and very enjoyable, results. Just having Dolby 5.1 with a powered subwoofer is enough to transform any room into a decent movie-watching experience.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hmm, hadn't seriously looked into the Def Tech speakers. I was pretty set on B&W 60x series. But the Methos line looks absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to go check them out at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I was in the stereo business for a number of years and saw lots of stuff -- from the basic to the insane.

I would suggest looking at Paradigm speakers. For the money, they're hard to beat. The bottom line is that everybody has an opinion on this type of thing -- the only one that matters is your own. Buy what YOU like.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
shay2nak said:
yes, i've seen both the Overture 1 & 3. I only had a chance to listen to the Overture 1 and i did like them. Especially with it's very compact configuration. I don't have measurements on either. Which RS speakers do you have?

my primary system is:
fronts - interlude 50
center - interlude 36c
rear - interlude 10
subs - i run both 10" subs from the IL 50s
receiver - H/K AVR 7000

secondary system:
fronts - oversized bookshelfs of my own design (2 way 6" woofer)
receiver - H/K AVR 320
i'm still trying to score a pair of Entra .5 satellites and it's matching center
I have a pair of RS3 and RS5 and a CC3. I know that the RS and Overture use the same drivers, but there is a big difference in sound quality between the two lines.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have never heard more clear sound from a speaker as I have from Martin Logan ( http://www.martinlogan.com/ ). I don't currently own any, as I'm saving up for a house and a new car :). But if I ever can afford it, I'll probably buy the Script i's. I have a Velodyne HGS12 to support the lower end. I have a nice projector (not nearly as good as a Runco, but it works quite well Mitsubishi XD300U), a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen, and a Pioneer Elite VSX 55TXi. I'm currently running with some moderately cheap JBL speakers, and the sound is ok, thanks the the receiver. Anyway, in short martin logan speakers are the clearest sounding speakers I've ever heard, but not necesarily the best speakers. They have a limited range which they project sound. It can be very annoying if you step from inside to outside the sound field. But if you're setting up your own home theater and havel the money, I would recommend going to hear some.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
usofrob said:
I have never heard more clear sound from a speaker as I have from Martin Logan ( http://www.martinlogan.com/ ). I don't currently own any, as I'm saving up for a house and a new car :). But if I ever can afford it, I'll probably buy the Script i's. I have a Velodyne HGS12 to support the lower end. I have a nice projector (not nearly as good as a Runco, but it works quite well Mitsubishi XD300U), a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen, and a Pioneer Elite VSX 55TXi. I'm currently running with some moderately cheap JBL speakers, and the sound is ok, thanks the the receiver. Anyway, in short martin logan speakers are the clearest sounding speakers I've ever heard, but not necesarily the best speakers. They have a limited range which they project sound. It can be very annoying if you step from inside to outside the sound field. But if you're setting up your own home theater and havel the money, I would recommend going to hear some.
Martin Logans are one of the worst speakers we have ever tested. During double blind listening tests for dealers and press, everyone picked it last. When we turned the lights on and raised the curtans they could not believe their eyes. The hardcore fans were trying to punch holes in our testing. Most definitely the are very sensitive in placement, but the electrostat film is not very good. It flexes all over the place causing peaks and dips. You will see this on the measurement as sawtooth effect.

it sounds very colored on axis, and unbelievable off-axis. You want to get a flat black line and the others should have gradual roll-offs. The flatter the line the more accurately the speaker reproduces the signal. As you can see, it is far from flat.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
here is an infinity prelude for comparison, it always comes in first, one of the flattest speakers you can buy, totally kicks ass. Also infinity intermezzo 4.1t. The prelude does have a small hole (blue curve) at 1.6k though.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Awesome! That'll save me some money. Though, in the mean time, I was actually going to get a friend to help me build some speakers. Don't worry, he'd do the designing.

It seems the only interlude they currently sell is the interlude MTS. Does the quality trickle down to their cheaper models?

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
usofrob said:
Awesome! That'll save me some money. Though, in the mean time, I was actually going to get a friend to help me build some speakers. Don't worry, he'd do the designing.

It seems the only interlude they currently sell is the interlude MTS. Does the quality trickle down to their cheaper models?
I'm not sure what you mean by Interlude MTS. Interlude, sadly, was discontinued over a year ago. IMHO, the absolute best line for the money. I think if you search online you can still find some Interludes for sale such as the 10, 30, 40, 50, 60, 25c, 36c and the subs 110 & 120.

Yes, the quality trickled down into the entry-level Entra line (another good one but is also discontinued). The new stuff Infinity alpha, beta, kappa; i'm not very fond of. Your best bet is to get Infinity Primus 360 for tower and 150 bookshelf. Primus is the current entry level Infinity. But if I were you I would try to find the Interlude stuff.

as for the mini-home theater systems. The best one I have heard is the Entra .5 system. The measurement for those satellites were unbelievable. They measured better than speakers much larger and more expensive. I think you can buy those from the Harman store on eBay.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts