The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have layed tile before but i have never had to get up old tile. on researching the project i am getting conflicting reports on how hard it is. anyone ever take up old ceramic tile before? I SURE WISH MY CAR WOULD GET HERE . all these projects to keep me preoccupied is starting to feel like work

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I've done some, and I've watched professional tile guys do it. After doing both, I can say that I defenitely prefer the latter !

I assume you're talking about ceramic floor tile, right ? Or wall/counter tile? For wall/counter tile, you're basically talking about chiseling the stuff off, with hammer and chisel. For floor tile, I would first try breaking a few up and then trying to get a heavy flat shovel blade underneath the tile, and popping them away from the floor that way. You probably will end up having to break them up to get them off - it's a dirty, dusty, miserable job. Wear a mask and safety glasses.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yes, we've put in our own tile. In fact, it was our first 'large" project and it turned out fine.

The MOST important thing is the proper underlayment. Use what they call "Cement Board" as the foundation. We started in the middle and worked out, but there are various ways to do it.

It wasnt that hard and ours has lasted 3 years so far without problems.

Dont know if you have a Home Depot where you are, but if you do, Home Depot has a series of books for do it yourself people. There is a book on tile laying. Also they give free classes on how to do it too...but we didnt take the class and we did fine.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I've never taken old tile out, but I can tell you that putting new tile down requires a lot of precision and attention to detail. If you don't have a good attention span, you'll get sloppy, because it's extremely monotonous work. I'll never do it again.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks mikester the flat shovel is great idea if your bored waiting for your car come on over i will put you to work.:D

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transio said:
I've never taken old tile out, but I can tell you that putting new tile down requires a lot of precision and attention to detail. If you don't have a good attention span, you'll get sloppy, because it's extremely monotonous work. I'll never do it again.
its not as monotonous as waiting for my car aghhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah, One Fast is absolutely right about getting the surface prepped etc., once that's done correctly, the actual laying of the tile is not so bad, although cutting the tiles for the end pieces and corners is kind of tedious, IMO.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
P.S. the flat shovel works great for vinyl floor tile, hopefully ceramic will be similar. Wear a good pair of leather work gloves though because it's really tough on your hands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts