The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to some guy who plowed into the side of my parked car, it is time for a new daily driver.

I want something compact/subcompact for economy and to deal with the San Francisco parking situation. Seeing that I often have to haul stuff I really like the Fit because of its innovative folding seats 2008 Honda Fit - Modes - the Official Honda Web Site and legendary Honda reliability. Anyone have one of these? I drove one yesterday and liked it overall, even if it was a little down on power.

Other contenders include:

VW GTI or Rabbit
Scion Xb
Mazda 3

Any other suggestions? Ideally I do not want anything longer than 160".

TIA.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I've picked up a Saturn Astra for daily driver use. Its a rebadged Opel. Love it so far, good handling,steering feel..etc. and gets about 37mpg. Plenty of European ergonomics and quirks, but that's part of the fun of it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The Gen I's in silver or orange are growing on me. I think I read somewhere (R&T?) they got a high score on slalom speed. Good choice I would say.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have a friend who is looking at the Fit. I think the '09's are bigger and have more power. i guess that could be a bad thing for some. looks more rounded and Euro, too.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Not as economical but do they still make the R32 Golf? If not, a friend of mine in LA is selling hers. Yaris? Jeep? (again not economical but cool) Smart?
The fits seem alright. On a road trip a few months back one was running around a buck twenty with me and an M3. I couldn't believe it. It would take a while for to him to get there and when we would slow a little he would come rolling up on us. We were laughing our heads off.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Thanks to some guy who plowed into the side of my parked car, it is time for a new daily driver.

I want something compact/subcompact for economy and to deal with the San Francisco parking situation. Seeing that I often have to haul stuff I really like the Fit because of its innovative folding seats 2008 Honda Fit - Modes - the Official Honda Web Site and legendary Honda reliability. Anyone have one of these? I drove one yesterday and liked it overall, even if it was a little down on power.

VW GTI or Rabbit
Scion Xb
Mazda 3

TIA.
I have test driven both a GTI and a Fit. Since you have considered the Mazda 3 or GTI, my recommendation is to go that route vs the Honda Fit. The Fit may be small, reliable and have the cool folding cabin, but the complete lack of performance will get old in a hurry. Spend a few extra thousand and get something you will actually enjoy driving.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts

VW GTI or Rabbit
Scion Xb
Mazda 3

They're a little spendy and more or less sold out currently, but you might consider a Mini Cooper or Clubman. Small, fuel efficient, and drive well.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Spend a few extra thousand and get something you will actually enjoy driving.
did you check out the link to the Miata Forum above?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
did you check out the link to the Miata Forum above?
Sure did. One Miata owner enjoying a Fit does not make it a sporty car. The Fit has been out for over 2 years. If it was sporty, it would have garnered such a reputation by now. I took a Fit for about a 15 mile test drive through somewhat fun roads when my Mom was looking to buy one. Sporty, it was not. Economical, reliable, inexpensive, roomy - yes. My opinion - any Lotus owner considering a Fit, GTI or Mazda 3, with the financial ability to own any of them, should have the Fit last on the list.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Sure did. One Miata owner enjoying a Fit does not make it a sporty car.
But one Lotus owner not enjoying it .....nevermind....test drive them all...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Plan on picking up a new DD this fall. The ‘09 Fit is due out in Oct. You can check into it a bit since it’s already out in Japan. It’s a few inches bigger, less then 100 pound gain, stiffer body with a more slightly powerful motor. The “sport” version has the better tire package. It’s high on my list at the moment.

Had made a offer on a Xb earlier in the year. Really like the value and the motor (5sp m/t). But since I’ll keep my old Subie Outback, looking for a little better mileage. Mazda 3, think a new version is due out for ‘09. So if you can wait a few months….

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plan on picking up a new DD this fall. The ‘09 Fit is due out in Oct. You can check into it a bit since it’s already out in Japan. It’s a few inches bigger, less then 100 pound gain, stiffer body with a more slightly powerful motor. The “sport” version has the better tire package. It’s high on my list at the moment.

Had made a offer on a Xb earlier in the year. Really like the value and the motor (5sp m/t). But since I’ll keep my old Subie Outback, looking for a little better mileage. Mazda 3, think a new version is due out for ‘09. So if you can wait a few months….
yeah, i saw the 09 fit pics online. a little goofy looking imho but they improved on the already awesome cargo area. there are a few who have fitted superchargers to this car . . .

no hurry really, just my old DD is 10 years old now and while still driveable it recently became less than pretty. with the insurance check coming it seems like a good time to buy . . . .

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am waiting for the 09 Fit, it's supposed to be much better. I've driven the current model, it's great little car but there are some things I hate about the car. The seat for me is not that comfortable, I am 6'3" so the seat feels short. There is no dead peddle so it's annoying having to rest you left feet on the carpet and it might wear out the carpet eventually over the years. Everything else is great, the shift feels buttery smooth and handles very well for a FWD car. I remember reading somewhere that it does lane change faster than either the Z06 or the regular corvette. The new 09 supposed to have a dead peddle and bigger, more comfortable seats. Here are some pics and info of the US version that's coming out in Oct: 2009 Honda Fit - The Official Honda Web Site

1 - 20 of 31 Posts