The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a recent article in a major car magazine Honda will soon end production of its S2000. Could the Elise have contributed to the demise of the S2000?

From another site:
According to reports, the July 2004 issue of Automobile Magazine cites Honda "insiders" as saying that the HSC project has been scrapped and the S2000 is nearing the end of its days as well.

Apparently the reason given for the decision was that Honda is shifting their focus and resources to more "core models".

We have not seen the issue yet, but we are more than a little skeptical of this news. It's not clear why a credible "insider" would leak such information unless it's A) true or B) deliberate disinformation, but with all the buildup surrounding the HSC and the public statements and promises made by Takeo Fukui, this could turn into a pretty big PR headache, not to mention a huge setback from a marketing and image perspective.

Soon enough there should be some sort of corroborating or conflicting reports which will shed more light on the subject.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Wow, I'd be really surprised.

Seems like they sell quite well around here. Performance is good, looks good, reliable.

It might just not sell as much as Honda wants for their products.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Doubtfull.
What I have noticed is that there has been a steep rise in Caterhams and other seven clones being advertised for sale.
m.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
the S2000 is nearing the end of its days
That could be another 4 years, until it lives out the natural life-cycle of the new model. At that point, they'll likely introduce a replacement for it.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Not to mention that there are a lot of people out there who'd buy a Honda S2000 but would never consider a "core model" sports car. Case and point the Detroid newspaper review of the Elise. A lot more of them out there than us.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That would be sad news. To some degree I understand that major manufacturers focus on cars that appeal to the masses. But if they completely stop making cars that they can't sell to millions, our selection of cool cars will get very small.

On the other hand, it might help niche manufacturers like Lotus, allowing them to sell enough cars to be profitable.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
ConeFusion said:
That would be sad news. To some degree I understand that major manufacturers focus on cars that appeal to the masses. But if they completely stop making cars that they can't sell to millions, our selection of cool cars will get very small.
Hello!!? Did no one read my post?

Sad day when Honda stopped making the Prelude :(
Sad day when Acura stopped making the Integra :(
Sad day when BMW stopped making the Z3 :(
Sad day when Nissan stopped making the 300ZX :(
Sad day when Mazda stopped making the RX-7 :(

Oh, but then they made follow-up models... but wait, why would Honda do that with the S2000? They can't follow it with another sports car! That wouldn't make any sense! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
transio said:
Hello!!? Did no one read my post?

Sad day when Honda stopped making the Prelude :(
Sad day when Acura stopped making the Integra :(
Sad day when BMW stopped making the Z3 :(
Sad day when Nissan stopped making the 300ZX :(
Sad day when Mazda stopped making the RX-7 :(

Oh, but then they made follow-up models... but wait, why would Honda do that with the S2000? They can't follow it with another sports car! That wouldn't make any sense! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Steve, I love how easy it is to set you off :D :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I wonder if these cars have a natural life cycle anyway and then they get replaced by a new model.

:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
transio said:

Well, 5 years ago, as I recall the question was "Why would 'Honda' do that (market a $30,000+ sports car in the US) in the first place?". Answer - Honda's 50th anniversary centerpiece - whether the rumors at the time that it would only be offered for a year or two were just hype or had any basis in reality, I admit I'm not fit to comment on.

So, it's probably a legitimate concern if it's true; there's no guarantee there'll be a comparable replacement with the "Honda" badge - for the US, it might become the NSX's baby brother in the Acura line, where many felt it could have gone in the first place.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I'll see if I can get any inside info;)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here is a rather long thread on the demise of the NSX and the possibility of the S2000 riding off into the sunset....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1427231

Seems a bit odd though to discountinue the S2K having recently trumped the Boxster and others in C&D.

Its my guess the Elise intro has only a minor if at all any influence on this; besides a rumor like this should help clear out any dealer inventories.

·
Registered
148 Posts
transio said:
Even the M's?
To be honest yeah. The inadequate chassis was overwhelmed by that great engine.

Really disappointing car all round imho, although the coupe M-coupe had its merits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually I had an M Coupe and loved that car. Quirky little thing but great fun to drive. As for looks, you either loved it or hated it, there was no in-between.

I think it would be a big mistake for Honda to discontinue the S2000. It's a car that sells pretty well, has appeal to all ages and is an easy platform to keep fresh (unlike the all-aluminum NSX).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts