The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, I've got a Rev400 S2 Elise, I'm terrible at working on cars and have no business doing it. That doesn't stop my from trying though. So I recently went through a Mishimoto Sandwich Plate install because I daily my Elise. So oil coming up to temperature quickly is important to me.

Now that the sandwich plate appears to be working as expected, I decided to try and install cheat temp gauge @exigegus suggested (Thanks for the help!) Yes it says water, but I was told it was fine. I can change that later. That said, I have the gauge currently installed as seen in photos, but it seems like temperatures are not read accurately, I'm getting 240 before I even hit 160/185 on the stock water sensor, and when I'm driving it around I can see as high as 280. I realize I could clean up this install a lot, but before I go nuts doing that, I'm wondering what I need to investigate to properly install it first.

I tried going through install videos on youtube, but all seemed to assume I had an idea of what I'm doing.

5w-40 full syn if it matters and again rev400 if by chance that is expected with those.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Are the sensor and the gauge a matched pair???

·
Administrator
3,919 Posts
The sensor you installed is for that water gauge and isn't universal to other gauges. If that maker has a oil temp I bet the sensor will be different. Pay a few bucks more get a good gauge set that matches for whatever you install and do it right...one time.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sensor you installed is for that water gauge and isn't universal to other gauges. If that maker has a oil temp I bet the sensor will be different. Pay a few bucks more get a good gauge set that matches for whatever you install and do it right...one time.
I have no problem with spending the money, just cared more about what works than anything and I had a confirmed user of this method on this forum. I'll look into something better. Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,919 Posts
Your method is fine same as mine. Just wrong gauge and sensor.

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
177 Posts
Hey all, I've got a Rev400 S2 Elise, I'm terrible at working on cars and have no business doing it. That doesn't stop my from trying though. So I recently went through a Mishimoto Sandwich Plate install because I daily my Elise. So oil coming up to temperature quickly is important to me.

Now that the sandwich plate appears to be working as expected, I decided to try and install cheat temp gauge @exigegus suggested (Thanks for the help!) Yes it says water, but I was told it was fine. I can change that later. That said, I have the gauge currently installed as seen in photos, but it seems like temperatures are not read accurately, I'm getting 240 before I even hit 160/185 on the stock water sensor, and when I'm driving it around I can see as high as 280. I realize I could clean up this install a lot, but before I go nuts doing that, I'm wondering what I need to investigate to properly install it first.

I tried going through install videos on youtube, but all seemed to assume I had an idea of what I'm doing.

5w-40 full syn if it matters and again rev400 if by chance that is expected with those.
Thanks!

View attachment 1284511 View attachment 1284512 View attachment 1284513
You might try connecting it up and testing with a known temperature first. Eg., to a bucket of water, and compare with a grill thermometer, and vary the water temp. Sounds more like a connection problem.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You might try connecting it up and testing with a known temperature first. Eg., to a bucket of water, and compare with a grill thermometer, and vary the water temp. Sounds more like a connection problem.
duh. Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Good suggestion about the ground. There’s no reason a gauge and sensor labeled for water shouldn’t work, I assume calibration should be right since they’re sold as a kit. The gauge could also just be faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. So I tried two other ground locations I could find on the forums here, the bolt under the dash that holds the AC surround, then the passenger side allen bolt that holds in the seats. Both produces the same results:

Gauge eventually creeps up and settles at 160F at approx the same time as the normal water temp reads 185, however, not really any higher. So it seems I just moved the range to lower. Guessing I have it grounded properly and now I have an issue elsewhere.

I'm going to try measuring it against a control and some other electrical stuff I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Not to sound insulting or anything but I agree with @Catsailr27. Your car has an expensive mod (Rev400). Why not monitor such vital data with a proper gauge from a reputable company? Even if you get this gauge to work; it may not be even accurate or reliable. Just my opinion.

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not to sound insulting or anything but I agree with @Catsailr27. Your car has an expensive mod (Rev400). Why not monitor such vital data with a proper gauge from a reputable company? Even if you get this gauge to work; it may not be even accurate or reliable. Just my opinion.
fwiw, I don't find that insulting at all. I'm just also tinkering and learning. So I may do that after I get through this weirdness. Just running out my patience.

Seems like i'll upgrade to the AEM one that GRP sells if I give up on this one.

Don't really wanna blame the Equus gauge. I'm sure it's my dumb error.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
fwiw, I don't find that insulting at all. I'm just also tinkering and learning. So I may do that after I get through this weirdness. Just running out my patience.

Seems like i'll upgrade to the AEM one that GRP sells if I give up on this one.
From my experience autometer makes quality gauges too. I’ve had an autometer oil temp gauge for about 6 years now with no issues at all. This is my set up.

·
Registered
368 Posts
@ DAaaMan64, maybe try to connect your sensor to your oil pan if you have an aftermarket aluminum one? Maybe you can get a better ground between the pan and sensor? And make sure your pan is grounded if the sensor requires it?

Also, what's the difference between placing the temp sensor into the oil sandwich plate versus the oil pan? I scoured all the different threads here and it seems most people place the sensor into the pan...or at least that what my searches show.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you check the ground on the sensor? I would simply make the test by putting an additional wire around the sensor thread to the battery ground...

PS: AEM use a sensor with 2 wires (Signal and Ground), so you wouldn't have this kind of problem. In your case the second wire is your chassis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts