The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I accidentally bought a set of A6's instead of R6's from Tire Rack. :eek::wallbang:

So - are these good for time attacks or even regular track duty on a cool day or should I get rid of them?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would get rid of them. Even on a cool day they will get slick very very fast, and will become dangerously unsafe.

The A6 are meant for autocross, in which the runs generally last under 1 minute and there is ample cool down time. Even so, people cool their tires with water after a one minute run.

So, after being on the track for 20 minutes your tires will be very hot and slick. Assuming you survive a track day on A6's, the tires will probably be useless. They are only good for about 60-80 Autocross runs, which translates to about 60-80 one minute heat cycles.

You shouldn't have a problem selling them. What sizes are they?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would get rid of them. Even on a cool day they will get slick very very fast, and will become dangerously unsafe.

The A6 are meant for autocross, in which the runs generally last under 1 minute and there is ample cool down time. Even so, people cool their tires with water after a one minute run.

So, after being on the track for 20 minutes your tires will be very hot and slick. Assuming you survive a track day on A6's, the tires will probably be useless. They are only good for about 60-80 Autocross runs, which translates to about 60-80 one minute heat cycles.

You shouldn't have a problem selling them. What sizes are they?
Negative. I run a6s on my MX5 for 20 minute sessions with no issues whatsoever, and the MX5 is heavier than the Elise/Exige by 5-600 lbs.

My times on a6s are significantly better than R6s to boot, and times do not drop off significantly toward the end of a session.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Negative. I run a6s on my MX5 for 20 minute sessions with no issues whatsoever, and the MX5 is heavier than the Elise/Exige by 5-600 lbs.

My times on a6s are significantly better than R6s to boot, and times do not drop off significantly toward the end of a session.

James any theories as to why this is the case? Chili stated the same thing about the A6's.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Where do you guys live that you can take A6s to the track? For me, they get slick after 2-3 autox runs if you don't cool them.

Do you know something that Hoosier doesn't?

·
Registered
709 Posts
James any theories as to why this is the case? Chili stated the same thing about the A6's.
I suspect that the compound is slightly stickier and at the same time, a light car just won't overheat it. Probably nothing too complex - Grassroots Motorsports found the same thing, more or less.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It is my understanding that the "A" tires are a slightly softer compound from the "R" tires. When you autocross you get what, 3 x 30 second runs? Not much time to get heat into the tires, so with the softer compound, they will work better quicker.

In road racing you have a tire that takes more heat due to being put through the ringer a little longer, so in order to keep them consistant through a race (even enduros) they create a compound for that.

R'elise me, There are a lot of Elise guys that swear the A tire is the one to use due to the weight of the Elise. They say it comes to temps quicker hand keeps that temp more consistently.

So if I were you, I would mount those suckers and have fun!

Are you racing or just HPDE/Autocross? if the latter, you are fine. Have fun with your gumballs! Even if you are actually racing, I am sure you'll be OK. Your tires MAY not last 8 weekends, only 7, but you will love the Hoosiers.

Have fun.

Dave

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Looks like we have mixed opinions, but the "A6 OKAY" crowd seems to have a clear majority.

I can't argue with the fact that people have actually run A6s at the track since I personally have not.

I'm just passing on the information that my Vette buddies gave me when I asked them the same question.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
no issues with A6s on track here. infact my friends that drive corvettes in SCCA T2 run A6s instead of Rs

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looks like we have mixed opinions, but the "A6 OKAY" crowd seems to have a clear majority.

I can't argue with the fact that people have actually run A6s at the track since I personally have not.

I'm just passing on the information that my Vette buddies gave me when I asked them the same question.
Likely we're both right ;) I suspect a 'Vette (I assume you mean Corvette, not Chevette :) ) puts lots more heat into a tire than does an MX5 or an Elise.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, this is a great lesson then. I can't wait to try mine out on the track.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, the corvette guys go through tires so frikkin fast anyway, I bet they figure who cares ;)

FYI, I have a dealer account set up with Hoosier, if you need tires, I can get them for you at about $100 a set less than tirerack. Shipping is usually in the $48 range.

Dave

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool! I do track days and short races with them. I actually planned on using R888's to keep it a more even playing field with my class in LCS (NA Mod) since most of the other cars are driven to the track. WTF - I'll try 'em and let you know what happens. I've got maybe 170whp and the car is 1800 lbs wet. It's still cool out here so I suspect it'll be OK. Has to be better than R888s. Thanks for feedback!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I accidentally bought a set of A6's instead of R6's from Tire Rack. :eek::wallbang:
You should sell them to me for half price so I can use them on track. No, I mean I will use them at autocross only.

But seriously, excelenet tire for track. Faster than an R6 but wear faster. I only have 7 15-20 minute sessions on mine and I can see light reflecting off the steel cords with a bright light on the outside edge of the tire on the outside rear tire. Make sure to rotate them if your track abuses the outside tires. For me, I heat cycle out the R6 before they wear out.

·
Registered
856 Posts
R'elise Me

How did the tires treat you? You happy with the decission to keep them?

As for the 888 tires, this is what the spec miata guys are saying:
Spec Miata Community: R888's tire wear concerns

I feel the same way as them (having tried the R888 on my Lotus).

I feel that the grip is fine, no complaints there, and it is REALLY good in the wet, but I feel like the tire looses grip as it gets down to the wear bars, and it gets there pretty quick. Not sure if it is due to cycling out the rubber or if the carcus has a different compound closer to the innards, but I am not a fan of the R888. Maybe as a street tire, but not as a track tire. Too great a drop in stick and it happens pretty quick, even while you are on the track.

My 2 cents on the R888.

Dave

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A6's rocked on the track. Way better than R6 - but they wear super fast - 2x faster than R6's. track temp was mid 70'sF and I couldn't get tire temp over 170F with 26F/29R psi hot. Really, cost aside, this is the best track tire for our cars IMO.

·
Registered
330 Posts
A's are great on the track. You will only get 8-9 heat cycles out of them before they fall off bad. Lots of the IT guys in SCCA use them for 45 min. races. They are about 1-2 seconds quicker than the R's. Lots of fun!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts