The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up a second set of wheels to use for street duty, and so, now I can get a very aggressive track tire, but the problem is, I have no good way of getting these tires to the track, so I'd just drive on them. It looks that while it's a bad idea to do so, Hoosiers are technically DOT tires, so I should be ok (in the legal sense) driving them to the track.

Have any of you guys done this? How fast do these wear out? My round trip to my favorite track is ~380 miles, would I basically wear them down on the commute? I doubt street driving will heat cycle them, and I doubt a leisurely drive will wear them too much, but I thought I'd check with this forum for any personal experiences.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
No way ! Defeating the purpose !

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
buy a little harborfreight trailer and get a BOE hitch for the Lotus !

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
OR: store them at the track......OR: get someone to put them on their trailer...

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Recently picked up some similar tires (Hankook Z214-C71). To date have only used them at Laguna Seca. Have family close by so dropped them off and only put them on before heading out to the track, about 35 miles round trip. Have done 3 dates that way, with sticky tires end up with lots more pick-up then the RA1, 048 or R888, to the point the balance is off.

With the kind of miles you would be putting on them, lots of wear just getting to and from the track. Also while technically DOT legal they come with the disclaimer- not appropriate for highway use. Definitely not ideal, BTW first time I’m running sticky tires and loving them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have driven to a nearby track several times with Hoosiers on the rear and the fronts in the passenger seat. I figure it's the fronts that wear fastest. Works okay, except I can't get into sixth gear.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have driven to a nearby track several times with Hoosiers on the rear and the fronts in the passenger seat. I figure it's the fronts that wear fastest. Works okay, except I can't get into sixth gear.
Usually the rears that wear fastest.

Maybe fronts on the back, backs in the passenger seat?!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Usually the rears that wear fastest.

Maybe fronts on, backs in the passenger seat?!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Don't do it. I did this with some far less sticky DOT track tires that were nearly dead and had enough heat cycles to justify just wearing them out on the street. I put them on the car for my normal daily commute at the time (55 miles of highway each way). In a week's time, I picked up maybe 5 or more nails, screws and whatever else might get thrown from the sticky front tires directly at the sticky rear tires, who caught the pointy objects. I doubt you'll make it to the track with hoosiers that even in R form are far stickier than the tires I had.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided against it already, and bought a set of Yokohama A005's, which preclude street driving. I'll figure out ways to get them to the track.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Yeah, 380 miles is way too far for Hoosers. I'll do 12-15 to a local autocross. Further than that, it's truck and trailer.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, the Yoko A005's are astounding. I've never driven on slicks before. They've got as much grip over R-comps, as R-comps have over $50 all-season tires from China.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts