The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put Hoosier R6's on their LSS wheels? 16 x 6.5 front and 17 x 7.5 rear?

Stock Advan A048 on Stock LSS
-----------------------------

16 x 6.5 12 lbs - 195/50 (23.6" diameter) 19 lbs
17 x 7.5 14 lbs - 225/45 (24.9" diameter) 21 lbs

Hoosier R6 on Stock LSS
-----------------------

16 x 6.5 12 lbs - 205/45 (22.8" diameter) 17 lbs (rec wheel 6.5-7.5")
17 x 7.5 14 lbs - 225/45 (24.7" diameter) 19 lbs (rec wheel 7.0-8.5")

I've been looking at other wheels/tires and nothing really grabs my attention over the stock LSS wheel. The Denag are heavier and only get me .5" wider which isn't that helpful as far as tire size choice goes maybe slightly more sidewall support. With the marginal increase in wheel width the Lotus supports (without additional modifications), a wider and heavier wheel is mostly likely going to hurt lap times not improve them (weight).

Since I'll be dropping the ride height a little (about 1 inch, maybe a tad less) I figure these diameters would help ensure no tire rub issues and stay pretty close to "stock" diameters so I don't run into any ABS issues. Since I'm not doing top speed runs I figured slightly smaller rear diameter would be ok.

So my current train of thought is stay with the pretty good LSS wheel and but on better rubber (Hoosiers) to get the best handling potential. With the exception of the wheels I saw at ForcedFed (no, not the PIA ones) and the RAC Monolites (11.5 & 13.5) at Sector111, I'm just not seeing great wheel packages out there that will really show lap time improvements.

Comments?

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've seen Hoosier A6 & R6's on LSS wheels at HRM. Give those guys a call to confirm sizes, but I think you're correct. Sherman is the sales manager (914-939-7200).

Hunting Ridge Motors

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks will give them a call as I'm pretty sure this is the route I'll go.

Just called my local Lotus dealer and got price on the Cup Car wheels/tires. Hope you folks are sitting down for this:

Front wheels $850 each
Rear wheels $975 each
Front Advan racing slicks $315 each
Rear Advan racing slicks $355 each

Grand Total tires and wheels: $5401 (includes CA tax) or $900 for a set of 4 Hoosier R6's

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
It has also been noted that hoosier are faster than the yoko slicks because they are an endurance compound but the yokos are lighter and last longer.

Curious to see how you like the hoosiers on the stock wheels, probably going that route as well.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Has anyone put Hoosier R6's on their LSS wheels? 16 x 6.5 front and 17 x 7.5 rear?

Stock Advan A048 on Stock LSS
-----------------------------

16 x 6.5 12 lbs - 195/50 (23.6" diameter) 19 lbs
17 x 7.5 14 lbs - 225/45 (24.9" diameter) 21 lbs

Hoosier R6 on Stock LSS
-----------------------

16 x 6.5 12 lbs - 205/45 (22.8" diameter) 17 lbs (rec wheel 6.5-7.5")
17 x 7.5 14 lbs - 225/45 (24.7" diameter) 19 lbs (rec wheel 7.0-8.5")

I've been looking at other wheels/tires and nothing really grabs my attention over the stock LSS wheel. The Denag are heavier and only get me .5" wider which isn't that helpful as far as tire size choice goes maybe slightly more sidewall support. With the marginal increase in wheel width the Lotus supports (without additional modifications), a wider and heavier wheel is mostly likely going to hurt lap times not improve them (weight).

Since I'll be dropping the ride height a little (about 1 inch, maybe a tad less) I figure these diameters would help ensure no tire rub issues and stay pretty close to "stock" diameters so I don't run into any ABS issues. Since I'm not doing top speed runs I figured slightly smaller rear diameter would be ok.

So my current train of thought is stay with the pretty good LSS wheel and but on better rubber (Hoosiers) to get the best handling potential. With the exception of the wheels I saw at ForcedFed (no, not the PIA ones) and the RAC Monolites (11.5 & 13.5) at Sector111, I'm just not seeing great wheel packages out there that will really show lap time improvements.

Comments?

Thanks, Rob.

How did these work out?

I have LSS wheels and don't want to buy new rims yet but need another set of tires, mostly focused on track use. Did you end up going with the Hoosiers or some other option? Looks like I'm 3 years behind the curve...

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
HOLY 3 year thread revival!!!!

As far as Cup car wheel prices, dealers were selling them for about $3300 when I bought 4 sets.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
HOLY 3 year thread revival!!!!.
Hehe, yes. But Rob is still active here so interested in his take. I have these Hoosiers in my shopping cart on Tire Rack so interested how this turned out...still two grand less than Cup Car wheel option!

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoosier R6 or A6 work fine on stock LSS, if you run lots of rear camber I recommend you get some of these 0.190 spacers rear and 0.125 front.

Working on Hankook C71's right now. Plan to try the Yoko slicks later this year. Hoosier R6 or A6 seem to work much better under braking but that could be do to C71 fronts being a taller/narrower tire. C71 are cheap, just wish they had a better front tire size.

·
Disingenuous Minion
637 Posts
Thanks! Took the shims off the front and have lowered the dampers by 2cm in the rear so have some negative camber there too (without removing shims). Ordered the Hoosiers for now. Have two track days the next few weeks and experimenting a little. Interested in your take on the alternatives.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hoosier R6 or A6 work fine on stock LSS, if you run lots of rear camber I recommend you get some of these 0.190 spacers rear and 0.125 front.

Working on Hankook C71's right now. Plan to try the Yoko slicks later this year. Hoosier R6 or A6 seem to work much better under braking but that could be do to C71 fronts being a taller/narrower tire. C71 are cheap, just wish they had a better front tire size.
I use the 0.190 spacers in the rear but didn't need to use the 0.125 spacers in the front... but I'm running the RACs (which have more aggressive offsets). Even with the Hankook C71s I get some "tell" marks from rubbing on the rear chassis... not enough to be concerned about...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts