The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just parked my Miata down the street in a empty cul-de-sac surrounded on three sides by a golf course pond.

I didnt want the car to hit my own house or a neighbors so that seemed the most logical place to put it, my garage is filled with the lincoln and race car and now all the patio furniture and other yard bits.

Being that the Miata was up for sale anyways i am sacrificing it to the storm gods of Frances and if the car ends up tumbled to the bottom of the pond i guess i dont have to worry about trading it in.... On second thought i am actually hoping it turns out just like that, Miata's seem to be tough to sell from the little action i was getting on this car!

So what does it take in damage to get a car totalled? would sinking into a pond do it? or does it have to do a few rolls on the way in?? Perhaps there is something i could "forget" to do to just help it on it's watery jaunt?? Any suggestions??

The bad part to my woes is i tripled tied my sailboat in the slip and that maybe a lost cause, which is a bummer as there are only 4 of these boats from Sweden here in the states that i know of and 3 of them are here in Florida! I spent the last 4 years fixing up that sailboat and now it has little chance with a possible 13 foot storm surge and 140+mph winds.... I just wish i could sink the Miata and put the sailboat up on Land.....

Either way looking real positive at the Insurance out of my two possible loss toys and hoping my new Elise isnt anywhere near the State of Florida right now so i dont lose that before i even get it in my hands!

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Lol...poor Miata!

Why not take the sailboat out of its slip and anchor somewhere with some space around you? Nowhere available for that? I can't imagine it'd be better off in a slip with hard docks on three sides.

Can you de-rig it (to reduce windage - I think that's the right terminology), or is there no time?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If the Miata ends up in the pond, it will be totaled. Insurance companies don't like to deal with water damage so they tend to write them off.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Make sure that you leave enough line on the sailboat to allow for the rising water. If you leave 3 extra feet and the water rises 6 ft, the lines might snap.

I was going to sacrifice old car by parking it in front of my garage door longwise, between the two concrete columns that the doors are mounted next to so that stuff would hit it, instead of the garage door. If the wind pushed the car, it would hit the columns instead of pushing the car into the garage. But then i realized that the hurrican winds will come from another direction and hit the other side of my house. Most wind damage comes from the east or NE with hurricanes.

Too late now but why didnt you take the sailboat into the middle Lake Okochobee and anchor it there?.
All of the gas stations around here are out of gas, I went to Costco and have about 300 bottles of water, soda, beer, and Gatorade and a couple of cases of different dry or canned foods.

We are having a neighborhood cookout tonight to get rid of any extra meat that will go bad if the power goes out. I have my air conditioner set at 60 and my fridge and freezer set at thir coldest settings just in case. One guy on my street has a generator and we will connect it to his "community" refrigerator just in case

Now they are saying that flooding is going to be the main problem since the storm is slowing down. If I see a green miata floating down the road, I'll just let it fo so that you can collect the insurance.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Okay... time to delete this thread... If your insurance company finds it and proves it was delibrate they'll won't cover the loss.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nothing deliberate in damage to a car in trying to mitigate home damage by moving my car to a empty cul-de-sac that i see, cant help that the only empty space i found in my community is surrounded by water on 3 sides!

As for moving the boat, a sailboat on a good day with motor on moves about 7 knots or so, it would have taken me nearly 3 days to bring my boat to lake O, and even then it is a risk to anchor a boat out, anchors break loose and that is the end of a boat then. Unless i could have had it hauled out, which wasnt a option there was over 100 boats on the wait list to use the sling lift! Not much more can be done for it unfortunately, i looked at all the options and did all that i could, guess insurance is there for that reason!

I like the idea of the trailer parks! fortunatly i think finally the people in those tin cans got the idea they dont hold up, they have left the parks along the barrier islands, and now where i keep my boat on that same area it is closed off so i wont be able to even check on it with this extra time waiting for it to hit and may not be let on the island for some time afterwards i am hearing.

Not sure which is worse hurricanes or earthquakes which i just moved from in San Francisco!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts