The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Lotus owner-wannabe in Nashville TN here, and I'm curious about the best way to test drive an Exige before purchase. Tentatively I'm looking for an S260, hopefully 2010 if I can find one, but I'm quite tall.

I'm 6'4" and quite thin (155 lbs), so before I just drop money online to get one shipped out to me, I want to make sure I can actually drive one first.

I've sat in the Final Edition Exige so I know the headroom is enough for me, but my big ole feet cause me some concern with how close together the pedals are, so I really just want to drive one to make sure. For obvious reasons though, most any Exiges that dealers might have are the Final Edition ones that aren't really available for test-driving since they're all in showrooms.

Do you guys know if the interior specs/size are the same or similar from the Final Edition compared to the 2009 or 2010 Exige?

Thanks!

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I don't know for certain about interior space, but every one I have been in is the same. I typically drive barefoot, in socks (car is cleaner than the socks) or in Piloti's. If you've spent time in formula cars, you'll feel like you have LOTS of room. If you are used to the Escalade, you'll learn with a smile. :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The only 2010 260's that are in North America are the Sport 260's. Sport 260's are rare and getting rarer. Not something you will find for sale all the time.

The Sport 260 was first offered in 2009 which is the only year they were available to North America in the original body style. There are a total of 25 of them. Currently 2 are in Canada/Alaska (1 Isotope Green and 1 Chrome Orange). The 2009's were available in all colors and there is a lot of variation and uniqueness among these.

There were 30 Sport 260's imported here for 2010. There are 2 currently in Canada (1 Sky Blue and 1 Arctic White). This is the year the body style was altered with squared off front oil cooler openings, 2 piece splitter and fixed (wobbling) spoiler. Colors were primarily limited in North America to Ardent Red, Arctic White, Phantom Black and Carbon Grey - there is a lot less variation and the 2010's grew in weight and had an ECU revision (for CO2 - shaving off a second in 0-60 times).

There were 3 2011 Sport 260's that managed to get into the US. Carbon Grey, Arctic White and Phantom Black.

The Sport 260's are fairly different than the final editions. Carbon fiber, a few mechanical, frame and brake differences - lighter, more balanced and track oriented.

You asked about fit - the Sport 260's have FIA approved HANS compatible carbon fiber seats (almost an $8000 retrofit). They are narrower and more snug in the hips than the standard Exige seats. If you are too large, they may be uncomfortable.

The closest 2 Sport 260's currently for sale to you are in Chicago at Fox Valley. They have a Phantom Black 2010 and a Storm Titanium 2009. The 09 is a fairly modified car - missing a passenger seat and AC. The 2010 has a less than stellar finish (black can be hard to take care of and maintain and this car has its share of swirls). If compelled and committed to the Sport 260, it may be in your interest to travel there to see how the fit is for you.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Oh and the final editions are not really comparable to the Sport 260's. The final editions are really nothing more than a 240 with the later 260 tune and a plaque. The final editions do not have the carbon fiber dash, sills, interior like the Sport 260. The final editions have a back window. The final editions do not have the lighted IC tubes or accusump. Final editions have 1 piece rotors, no SS lines, heavier wheels. The final editions have same 240 subframe, no carbon splitter, spoiler, side vents, roof, hatch or access panels.

As I said, really all the final editions (including the RGB) are nothing more than 240's with a different ECU tune. All else - the same.

So sitting in any final edition is like sitting in any other Exige. Seats, dash, interior - all the same

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info!

I was going to say, driving in socks seems like what I'd end up doing, but I didn't know if that was a faux pas of some sort.

I already have some Pilotis so I'll probably just try with both and see what feels better. Also, narrowness of the seats doesn't bother me, I have like a 31-32 in waist, haha.

I knew the 2010 Exige had all the extra carbon fiber in the body, which is why I was more interested in those rather than the Final Edition. And speaking of the guy selling his 550-mile Exige, I already found him (actually how I found out about this forum) but he'd already sold it. I was really interested in the Carbon Grey precisely because of what you mentioned, the black is so difficult to maintain, but I'd much prefer a black 2010 to another color 2009. The 2010 body style just appeals to me a lot more.

My family lives in Central Illinois; traveling up to see the 260s in Chicago might be a good idea, and it'd give me an excuse to see them, too.

EDIT: Hey Vishus, you said only 3 of the 2011s made it into the US...I checked out that Fox Valley Motorcars site that had the 2010s you'd mentioned, and it seems that they also have 2 of the 2011 260 S, one in Chrome Orange and one Arctic White.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Driving in socks made me laugh a bit. I almost always am wearing steel toe work boots, about the worst thing available if a person wants to be able to feel the pedals :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an excellent idea, Dave.

I'm sure somewhere around Nashville there are a couple Lotus owners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, all right. I was under the impression that the Final Edition was only available in the matte black.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Nope - there are two Final Edition versions for the Exige (three sort-of including the RGB).

There are 30 Final Editions that were available in any of the current colors and then there are 25 Matte Black (all identically equipped). All total, there are over 75 final editions including the 2011 RGB's in North America. There are 15 Elise SC final Editions that were available in Ardent Red, Aspen White, Chrome Orange and Carbon Grey. In the US and worldwide, these so-called special editions actually are the majority of 2011 production. In some instances, it would be equally as rare to find a standard version. Lotus kind of got out of control this year with these.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have size 13 feet. I can drive my car fine in about 95% of the shoes i own. Flip flops and square toed dress shoes dont work though unless you want to trail brake every time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have size 13 feet. I can drive my car fine in about 95% of the shoes i own. Flip flops and square toed dress shoes dont work though unless you want to trail brake every time

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I too have size 13s.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and have a greater appreciation for the 2009 - 2011 Exige S260, not only in rarity, but also in performance and features.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Thanks - but you may not know that thread is incomplete and really doesn't have the full story. Since we aren't allowed to talk about the other forum on here - I can't really tell you where a much more comprehensive and current version is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That other thread is excellent, though I'm somewhat intimidated by your comprehensive knowledge of all things Exige.

I will be bookmarking that registry.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Thanks - but you may not know that thread is incomplete and really doesn't have the full story. Since we aren't allowed to talk about the other forum on here - I can't really tell you where a much more comprehensive and current version is.
Oh, I know :D.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts