The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my horn stopped working. I have an Elise Steering wheel on the car ('03 Esprit) for the last two years and the horn has worked fine. Not sure when the problem started as the car was in winter storage and then in the shop for some minor work. I tried switching the relay with another one to see it that was the issue. Didn't change anything. Thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
938 Posts
Shame...its a damn fine horn!
Cant wait to scold people with it.
Sounds like a train horn that has Gods hand squeezing on the Locomotive testicles.......................if a
Locomotive had testicles!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
<SIGH> (not aimed at you Dlamps).

Have you tested the horn itself? Put 12v to it to confirm it works.

Checked fuses? Replace even if look good

Failing that, remove steering wheel and check their, run wires to horn wires through to 9v battery and on to small light bulb. Press horn buttons, light go on?

I seriously doubt it is the steering wheel though other than wire(s) to it came undone.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Do you have the stock steering wheel? The switches definitely are known to fail, but I would think that one would still work even if the other was bad. It could also be a bad rotary connector, which is located behind the steering wheel. This supplies power to the air bag also, albeit via separate circuits.

Edit: Never mind, I just read that you have an Elise wheel. How did you make the horn connection?

There is a 20A fuse before the relay, it is located "beneath the driver's side fascia". Which I assume means somewhere under the dash. There is also a 15A fuse for the alarm in the same location.

Does the horn work if you set off the alarm? If it does, you can rule out the relay and fuse, and you're left with the horn switches and rotary connector. If it doesn't, then it's either the relay or fuse. Or the horn itself, but there are two horns, so also unlikely.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sanj. Found the fuse and will replace it tomorrow. I'm sure that's it as the interior light is out too.

I got a little confused since the book referenced the relay. I'll let you know if that's not it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts