The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the horn on the Federal Elise?

Is it going to be decently LOUD, or a feeble meep ?

I want to be sure that the soccer moms can hear me as well as see me, so I'm just wondering. Do we need to start planning to add air horns, or are they not needed?...

I'm assuming that they will be the same as "regular" Elises.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
866 Posts
Great question! I am currently driving a TT, and although the horn sounds good from inside the car, it does sound weak from outside. I hope the Elise sounds a little bigger than it is!:D

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Honda S2000 is a pathetic meep. I'm embarassed to even hit the thing. I've gotten in the (bad) habit of just avoiding people without bothering to let them know I'm there. I'd love to see a Ferrari-esque air horn on the Elise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I tried to honk the horn on the Racing Green Federal Elise on Saturday. It wasn't hooked up (nothing happened).

-Eric

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
TimMullen said:
wondering. Do we need to start planning to add air horns, or are they not needed?...
[/B]
Air horns remind me of my first car (a P1800). I had put air horns on it, which made it louder, but the problem was that people never thought it was coming from my car, they'd look around for the semi. :rolleyes: So while a meep may not sound too macho, and you can always aim for louder, people will at least be looking for a small car when they hear it.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transio said:
Honda S2000 is a pathetic meep. I'm embarassed to even hit the thing.
My Miata's is like that - one of the first things I did to it was install a set of air horns.

I also installed a set of Maseratti (brand) air horns on my Elan 25+ years ago after the first time someone cut me off in traffic. They have saved me more than a few times. I wish I could still find the Maseratti air horns - those things were loud (and I think they were the factory optional ones available for the Elan).

Anyway, that's why I wondering what the Elise will have. I'd rather not have to change things if I don't have to...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My old Esprit had air horns -- really did sound Italian...:)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
TimMullen said:

I want to be sure that the soccer moms can hear me as well as see me, so I'm just wondering. Do we need to start planning to add air horns, or are they not needed?...
Another factor is that with cars being sealed these days (AC, heat, smog, etc) and stereo blaring they might not hear any horn, even a good one short of an air horn.

·
Registered
154 Posts
my favorite non-air horn:
hella supertone horns. LOUD and 2 tone that sounds great -

european type of sound.

Robert

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have ferrari air horns fitted to my elise. sound awsome. the elise standard horn is referred to as "sad cow horn"....

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tonyyoshi said:
the elise standard horn is referred to as "sad cow horn"....
Not good news...:( :(

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,645 Posts
I have a pair of these fitted to my Miata. Oh yeah, they're loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
MickOpalak said:
I have a pair of these fitted to my Miata. Oh yeah, they're loud.
I had a set like that once.. they were uber-loud. Very nice. As a bonus, the compressor takes about half a second to come up to full volume, so if you leave your stock horns in place, a quick "toot toot" tap on the horn would engage only the quicker stock buzzer. Perfect for a friendly salute or that little reminder that "The Light Doesn't Get Any Greener Than This".

Hold the button down for full semi-truck power.

The only problem was that after a few years, the vinyl hose kinked itself and choked air. I had to keep repositioning it. So try to make the hose runs as long and straight as possible.

I might try the Griots next.

Does the factory alarm in the Lotus use a seperate siren or share the stock horn?

Is there room in the front for a horn like Griot's? The multipiece airhorns are easier to squeeze in, but I'd prefer a one-piece.

Last, where is the fusebox on the Elise? Is the horn relay in there? It's easiest to tap the horn right into there off the stock relay.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I have a set of air horns sitting in my garage.. never made it into my p1800 all thoose years ago..

available for pick up in Leesburg va. by any chrome orange elise that should need them :)

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I've got a pair of FIAMM "Freeway Blaster" horns, which replaced a set of Hella air horns, which replaced the lame stock horn on my Miata.

I'm not sure if they're any louder than the air horns, but they have a lower, discordant sound. I think they are more likely to jolt someone to consciousness.

I've never seen a nautilus-style horn with an air compressor like that Griot's horn before. All the ones I have seen are direct electric-drive.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Bad news, y'all-the horn on the Elise is indeed the feeble meep....

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
dug around in my boxes last night, in fact, they are Maseratti air horns i have sitting around... red plastic horns w/ silver compressor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts