The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I've had the car for about 2 years now with no issues. I know rattles and squeaks are apart of the car and I understand that. But there's a very noticble rattle coming from the back left portion of the car and only at idle. Any bit if throttle makes the rattle go away. What could be causing this? I uploaded a video so you can get a feel for how it sounds.

https://youtu.be/vNBfggJGgww

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The bolts on my heat shield rusted out once. The noise was more of a rattle as I started the car and it continued a bit as the car stared to move. Once the car was moving it disappeared.

I've never had an issue with my muffler but many others have had some of the muffler support brackets crack. But I think that caused vibrations at other speeds, not just idle.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Start touching things with your hand, (obviously not the hot stuff)
When you touch the panel rattling it should stop, but likely very likely it's one of the following
1. Diffuser
2, Exhaust
3. Exhaust heat shield
4. Rear panel that the exhaust goes through.

Just need to start getting your hands on things as it's rattling and see how putting pressure on different peices changes / affects the rattle. Once you find it, just secure the panel better (tighten screws/bolts) or make a little isolator (most people use rubber peices but be careful near the heat)

I had a horrible rattle that made that one seem tame, I honestly thought something was coming apart and it was just my exhaust tip rubbing my rear panel delete. Had to do a road trip and was pulling my hair out so I folded and put a small peice of aluminum foil and stuck it between the exhaust tip and the panel. Totally silent the whole trip. When I got home I adjusted the tip to give it some more clearence.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The exhaust lower bracket cracked would be my vote. If you have a stock rear motor mount, it is a matter of time before that lower support bracket breaks. You need get the covers off the bottom of the car and push up on the exhaust manifold to see the crack.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Assuming you have gone ahead and touched the obvious parts on the outside(diffuser, rear panel, license plate area, etc..), my vote would be the heat shield/exhaust area. You will need to drop the diffuser panel and take a look. Good luck with your search.

Gabe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts