The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the opportunity to buy an Elise but the car stinks - and that is an understatement. Got a headache due to the smell on a test drive. PO had the dealership remove the front clam, power wash the car, remove the interior and bleach that, then 'fumigated' the car with industrial Lysol. Dealership said they found a dead mouse in the ducting... Anyone know if you can ever get that smell out? After the car is closed up in the sun or when you use the ac it still smells faintly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
yea, there is stuff that will kill the odor but it might be hard to correct. Possibly just need to remove the ducting at clean it where the animal was..... could be some of the mouse stil in there

You should be able to buy some spray chemicals to kill any odor at a local janitor supply or do some searching for some DIY methods. I haven't use it but I heard from a fellow funeral director (yea... I own a funeral home) that coffe grounds will eat up odors......

Almost 20 years ago when I use to sell home and car audio we did a big system is a POS S10 blazer..... all decked out with the latest and greatest of stuff and would play frequencies under 20 hz..... quite a experience to hear. Anyways.... the owner won his first audio competition.... partied... fell asleep in his S10 in his garage and was found a few days later..... it stunk really bad.... but with some cleaning etc it was odor free.....

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
That's why you have to try and kill the mice outside the car before they take up residents.
These cars are like giant hamster cages for mice , you have nook's and cranny's in that they love to roam through and set up house.
You must kill them before they invade...:ST:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
My buddy owned a car dealership, and occasionally they would receive a gross smelling car in trade - this is dangerous, but works - sort of the same way they do dry cleaning. Grab a saucer and pour some (alittle) gasoline into it carefully place it in the footwell of the Elise. Completely seal/close the car. Wait two days - open and air out car - voilla! You have just dry cleaned your interior! Realy works, but you need to be really careful because if you ignite those vapors you will be bragging about the Elise, 5 alarm fire edition. Probably disconnect the battery first.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I owned an automotive detailing business for a number of years in Orange County CA. I can tell you from experience, removing the death scent fro a car can be rather difficult.

Unfortunately, an ozone machine won't help in a situation like this. You have organic molecules all over the interior of the car that are decomposing. Ozone works well when trying to remove scents like cigarette smoke only.

You need to use a chemical that will break down organic-based scents. High quality pet odor removal products (Pet-Zyme comes to mind) will likely work well in this situation. The catch is, you have to get the product on and in every surface of the interior of the car....and you will likely have to go through this process a few times before the scent is completely gone. If you miss any surface, on the first warm humid day, you will smell the dead animal.

1. Remove interior, launder floor carpets, allow to dry, spray with enzymatic cleaner, launder again, dry reinstall.
2. Clean seat upholstery (if you have leather, DO NOT USE enzyme based cleaners!). To do this properly, you need to remove the upholstery from the seat so you can get at the cushions directly. I'm not sure how/if this is possible in a Lotus.
2. Remove all ventilation hoses and the heater core. Depending on what the hoses are made from, you can possibly throw them in the dishwasher. A safer choice would be to toss them in a bucket with a diluted solution of the enzymatic cleaner and clean the insides of the hoses w a scrub brush.
3. Vac the inside of the heater core thoroughly. Make sure there is no loose organic matter stuck in the heater core fins. If someone turned on the vents before the mouse was removed, you will likely have all kinds of disgusting stuff stuck in the heater. Spray the inside of the heater core with the enzymatic cleaner. Do not immerse this piece in liquid...you will ruin it if you do. An easier solution would be to buy all new heater hardware from hoses to the heater core.
4. Remove vent covers from dash, clean and scrub as described in step 2.
5. Reassemble. Run the vents and spray Lysol into the air vent intake.

A large percent of what you are smelling is likely originating from inside the heater core and hoses. Be sure to thoroughly clean these areas.

I would typically spend a whole day dealing with a car like this. I would also charge about $800-1k for this service. So if you decide to buy this car, make sure you get the proper discount.

***Please test all products on a hidden part of your cars upholstery before using it widely throughout the car. I've used Pet-Zyme on numerous stinky cars with no issues but never used it on a Lotus.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My buddy owned a car dealership, and occasionally they would receive a gross smelling car in trade - this is dangerous, but works - sort of the same way they do dry cleaning. Grab a saucer and pour some (alittle) gasoline into it carefully place it in the footwell of the Elise. Completely seal/close the car. Wait two days - open and air out car - voilla! You have just dry cleaned your interior! Realy works, but you need to be really careful because if you ignite those vapors you will be bragging about the Elise, 5 alarm fire edition. Probably disconnect the battery first.
Seriously? This is terrible advice. Never do this to a car! Other than the fact that it is an absolutely HUGE fire hazard, the volatile compounds in gasoline could easily discolor or ruin the plastics inside a car. Plastics are petroleum based after all.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Have the opportunity to buy an Elise but the car stinks.
What dealership is this at? I'm not looking to buy, just curious.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Seriously? This is terrible advice. Never do this to a car! Other than the fact that it is an absolutely HUGE fire hazard, the volatile compounds in gasoline could easily discolor or ruin the plastics inside a car. Plastics are petroleum based after all.
It seriously works! And i believe i said something about the fire hazard.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
I had one go to its reward in the Elise a couple years ago. Searched with mirrors and several of us sniffing to no avail. Eventually found it when removed a front well liner:

Capturew.jpg

Looked like an Egyptian mummy.

Before this the smell was of the custom Trim Shop leather :D
Will never get all the smell out :( I try to mask it with tire and brake aroma.

We have mouse traps all about the garage now. Only caught one all Winter.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Had a mouse family in mine, all dead behind the radio area. Took the dash apart and ended up using vinegar Windex followed by Lysol disinfecting wipes to clean up the droppings and the urine trail, followed up by a good dose of Ozium spray behind the dash area (can be purchased at any auto parts store). Left it open in the garage with a fan blowing through the car for about a day, and voila..no more dead mouse smell. For your case I would definitely replace at least some of the ductwork (inaccessible areas for cleaning). Also be careful of the dealer Ozone treatments. They can break down your plastics over time (and Lotus plastic is frail enough as it is). Good luck and PM me if you need any help. There are some great tutorials on here for the dash removal.

later
Corvus

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ewwww XHILR8N!

I was eating my breakfast!

I also had a large nest inside my dash (made of all lotus fibers!) on my last elise.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts