The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one shine light on this for me...

first, the horse is doing all the work

the person gets the metal:shrug:

where is the athleticism? the rider needs not be in shape, or particularly good at anything to do well(as it is the horse doing everything after all)

how is horse back riding at all equal to the level of ...say... badminton..

ive seen some silly sports this last two weeks, but horse back riding! come
on...!

i guess it makes me mad to watch a guy like that bolt guy with a gold metal around his neck and standing next to him a horse back rider with the same achievement, also around the neck... and all he did was ride a friggn horse.. it lessens the value i think of great, world class athletes...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
On the plus side for you, horse eventing is the Olympic sport in which the human participant is most likely to be killed.

Tom

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the plus side for you, horse eventing is the Olympic sport in which the human participant is most likely to be killed.

Tom
well that does make it more exciting! kinda wish it would happen more often...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I won't let my wife read this- She competes in cross country, and I have to say I understand where you are coming from, but on her behalf (and all other horseback riders), there's a WHOLE lot more to it than just hangin' on tight- The rider is basically "driving" the horse, and unlike our cars, the horse has a mind of its own- Basically, good riders have to train every day to keep themselves and their horse sharp and in shape- Here's my wife BTW:

6.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Now THIS should be an olympic sport. Judged on a combination of speed and how many times you can drag your knee in the dirt.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts

where is the athleticism? the rider needs not be in shape, or particularly good at anything to do well(as it is the horse doing everything after all)

on...!

i guess it makes me mad to watch a guy like that bolt guy with a gold metal around his neck and standing next to him a horse back rider with the same achievement, also around the neck... and all he did was ride a friggn horse.. it lessens the value i think of great, world class athletes...
You obviously have no clue how hard some of the equestrian events are to perform......I'm not a horse person but my fiance is and I can attest that is not as esy as it looks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree, but then how is shooting an olympic sport?

A 500lb guy that can shoot for a gold medal might break the podium. Not exactly athletic.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts

A 500lb guy that can shoot for a gold medal might break the podium. Not exactly athletic.

It's the trained skill that earns him the medal, same as in horse riding I suppose.

It's no different than golfing where 50+ year old dudes compete with the best of 'em, and fatties like John Daly. You don't have to be an amazing athlete, but the level of skill required to compete is very high.

·
Registered
274 Posts

on...!

i would say you have no clue and that horse back riding is very physical. look at the ass legs and arms on girls who compete ( see many fat rodeo cowboys or girls?? not really.). i have 3 horses and ride and when people take the position that it isnt physical to ride a horse i get them on the horse and make them ride ( not just a slow trail ride) they are generally wiped out and sore for days after

·
Registered
274 Posts
Horse Riding - The Physical benefits
By its very nature, horse riding influences the whole person and the effect on all the body's systems can be profound. Whether the event is show jumping, dressage, cross-country or hacking along woodland walks, the unique combination of the horse and its movement with the rider produces an extraordinary effort on all the systems of the body.

As the horse moves the rider is constantly thrown off balance requiring that the rider's muscles contract and relax in an attempt to re-balance.

This exercise reaches the deep postural muscles of the trunk and pelvis and the adductor muscles of the thighs. Also, depending on the speed of the horse, other sets of muscles are working strongly such as the quadriceps, hamstrings and glutei’s during rising trot.

Horse riding, especially trotting and cantering increase both the respiratory and circulatory systems therefore it is considered to be cardiovascular exercise. Indeed, in an article obtained through the Internet (Calorie control Council - Fit Facts) the total calories used per hour by a 150 pound person during horse riding were similar to those used during jogging (6mph) and cycling (9mph) (315-480 calories per hour).

Riding a horse requires a great deal of co-ordination in order to get the desired response from the horse. Repetition of the patterned movements required in controlling the horse aid to quicken the reflexes.

As well as improved co-ordination and relaxation, riding stimulates the vesibular system by the movement of the horse and it's changes in direction and speed. Proprioception has also shown to increase due to activation of the proprioceptors in the muscles, tendons, ligaments and joint.

To conclude, horse riding is a wonderful form of exercise, which stimulates the cardiovascular system as well as all the body systems.

Although riding is a strenuous exercise, it is perceived as enjoyment, therefore the rider has increased tolerance and motivation to lengthen the period of exercise.

Lisa McFarlane
Senior 11 Physiotherapist

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I like horses, I dont like riding them for the simple fact that if some fat guy threw a saddle on me and tried to get me to take him everywhere I would be pissed off!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have two words for you: Rhythimic Gymnastics

Maybe there is some asthetic nature to it (if you're into that kind of thing) and you have to be very bendy, but a "sport"........nah

At least you have the anticipation that the horse might throw someone off (it's like down-hill sking - you only watch coz you think they might crash), but watching someone bend through a hoop or wave a ribbon :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

and all he did was ride a friggn horse.. it lessens the value i think of great, world class athletes...

Ignoring the obvious fact that you haven't ridden a competition level horse, what you say is the equivalent of claiming that Michael Schumacher doesn't deserve the medal or trophy because the car is doing all the work! He's just sitting there, not really an athlete, etc... :thwack:

Riding a horse is like driving a car, you have to have it under control, understand its capabilities, as well as its limitations, and judge how to best navigate a particular course or track without falling off or injuring yourself or the horse.

Horses don't have replaceable clams and it rarely just "buffs out" :D

I have tremendous respect for horse riders. In some specialities, such as dressage, appearing to do nothing is the whole idea. You're trying to make it look easy when in fact it takes really amazing skill and control of the horse to do well.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

Awwww, c'mon....One event for a fat guy isn't asking too much....

Maybe they could combine the 2 events.....horseback riding and shooting....kind of like skiing and shooting in the winter Olympics.

·
Registered
308 Posts
How about synchronized swimming - what a friggin joke - they should be competing at Wally World...anything with judging should be a demonstration sport, with plastic medals....:mad:

Jim

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
In keeping with the origins of Olympic sport, I believe that the only events allowed in Olympic competition should somehow be useful in killing people. Skills like running, jumping, and throwing spears have always been useful in war.

In its defense, horsemanship skills have historically been of value to a warrior.

Of course, Ronnie Slaughter (pictured below) was only able to qualify for the Special Olympics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I definitely see the points.

It's definitely a sport, but at the same time, it's truly awkward because when you think about it, it's not man vs man , or man vs nature - it's man on animal!

Every other sport is determined by the most athletic or most skillful athlete or team.
(or by a panel of supposedly un-biased judges)
The horses in Equestrian events are a significant factor - whereas I'm sure not all horses are created equal.

- what really baffles me is why there's still Curling in the winter olympics. How on earth did that become an internationally played [email protected]#?
(*was that ever part of warfare!?!? :D)

*also, are the outfits they wear in equestrian really functional?
why aren't they requred to wear a helmet and leathers instead of those silly outfits!?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts