The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Houston later this month with my wife and 2 small kids. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel (appropriate for families), preferably within walking distance to Jones Plaza? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff-
Would you recommend one over the other?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
They are both about the same caliber. Lancaster is a little more ornate and boutique,Magnolia a more trendy (I thinks some of the more high profile celebs stayed at the Magnolia during the Super Bowl).

A couple of others include The Alden-Houston and Hotel Icon.

Lancaster is closest to Jones Hall and rest of Theatre District, including Hobby Center,Bayou Place/Angelika and The Aquarium. Alden and Icon are further north and are closer to the Market Square part of downtown,which has some restaurants and the oldest buildings in Houston such as wine bar La Carafe.

Magnolia is further east and the farthest distance from Jones Hall. It is close to the Sambuca Cafe, which serves up Jazz music most nights.

I live about a mile away,PM me if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I'd recommend any hotel as far as possible from Houston.
:D

(ducks and runs)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Magnolia gets my vote Ian and Sambucca is a nice place!

I wouldnt say either hotel is geared towards families. . . what are you going to Houston for?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you absolutely have to stay in downtown? There is a resort out in the woodlands and also many nice hotels out in the Galleria area. Unless you absolutly don't mind being abandoned in DT Houston after hours as Toad says, you will want a car. The only after hours kid thing to do in DT is the over priced (in my opinion) aquarium. There is ample parking around Jones Hall at almost anytime, so a car here is not a problem.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Do you absolutely have to stay in downtown? There is a resort out in the woodlands and also many nice hotels out in the Galleria area. Unless you absolutly don't mind being abandoned in DT Houston after hours as Toad says, you will want a car. The only after hours kid thing to do in DT is the over priced (in my opinion) aquarium. There is ample parking around Jones Hall at almost anytime, so a car here is not a problem.
Very true. . . the Resort at the country club has a great pool for the kids and you can always get in a couple rounds of golf on the Gary Player course! When are you going down to Houston?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going on March 29th for a persian new year festival. I guess I thought it would be nice to be able to walk to it, but if you all would suggest something further out that would be more fun for the kids, it might be worth a drive. How far out is the Woodlands and where would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toad, I tried to send you a pm but your box is full. :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going on March 29th for a persian new year festival. I guess I thought it would be nice to be able to walk to it, but if you all would suggest something further out that would be more fun for the kids, it might be worth a drive. How far out is the Woodlands and where would you recommend?
Woodlands is pretty far out, the Galleria area is probably a better choice if you want to avoid long drives. Lots of stuff to do in the Galleria area as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Galleria has a lot of shops, malls and restaurants...not my scene since my kids would be bored to tears, but it depends on what you like to do. It is about 15 minutes from DT.

The Woodlands is about 30 minutes from DT up I-45.

Another area that I thought of is near the medical center. There are lots of museums there and the zoo. It is connected to DT by rail, which makes it convenient. You can scope areas out using this site.

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/gmap.php

1 - 13 of 13 Posts