The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I waited too long, but I searched today for a hotel in Indy, June 17-20, and came up with nothing that looked all that great. Any locals have suggestions? Last year we stayed at a Fairfield Inn, South Indy (??), and it was ok but boring. I wouldn't mind something downtown this year, or really anyplace within a reasonable distance to the track that's got some character, or is in a cool neighborhood. It will be me and my buddy, we may actually drive there from RI to do the Monday lap around the track.

Which reminds me, has anyone done the lap? It is worthwhile? It would be great to drive the course, but I suspect it will be a rather slow parade around ... not sure if its worth it to drive all the way out.

If we don't drive to Indy, I suppose we could take the rental car around .... Thanks for any suggestions you may have, Steve

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
At this point just find an empty place...what we do is drive to the airport, park at IndyGo to the track and back. It has dedicated route and is very efficient and definitly worth considering.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I recommend renting an RV and staying in one of the fields. We did that for the first 2 years of the USGP and it worked great. You wake up to the sound of helicopters and revving F1 motors. It is a short 10 minute walk from your bed to watch support races, and someone gets tired of watching they don't have to wait until everyone else is ready to leave.

The first year we rented 2 RVs and drove straight through (from Austin to Indy). That wasted a lot of time and exposed us to mechanical risks. We even had a blowout at 3:00 am that took out one of the generators. Pain in the neck, but once we got to the track all was forgotten. Indy is a great track for RVing. The next year we flew into Indy and picked up the RVs there. I plan to do that for any future races I attend at Indy.

Forza Ferrari! (Sorry if that is redundant) :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jefferson, do you remember where you rented the local RV? That's a really good idea! Steve

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have not stayed in a hotel here but I asked around at work and this was a popular vote. Embassy Suites Hotel Indianapolis-Downtown. Downtown INDY is a great place to stay. Just ask Mike Tyson.:D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It must be good ... its sold out! :mad:

I checked them yesterday, looked like a good choice.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
980 Posts
DOWNTOWN HOTELS:
WESTIN
OMNI
HYATT COURTYARD

I think it would be great for us all to have dinner and drinks on Saturday.
The ST. Louis Lotus club will also be in town that weekend. They have a track day set up at putnam park aprox 30-45 min west of INDY.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm .... track day on Monday June 21st. Cold go from the DE to the Speedway for the drive-around Monday night. Now, will my Elise be here by mid June?? And if it is, can I handle a 9 hour drive from RI???

Decisions, decisions .....

Get together saturday night? Absolutely! That's an easy decision!

Steve

·
Registered
980 Posts
If anyone is uncomfortable parking in hotel parking I live on a dead end street in a small town just west of the city.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts