The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a recommendation for fiberglass repair for my Elise in Houston? My understanding is that the Lotus Fiberglass is a special resin composite and requires some experience for a proper fix. The repair is needed in the passenger side sill near the bottom plate. It will likely need filler work also and possibly reinforcement on the back side. It needs to be fixed soon before the crack continues to spread.

I just bought the car and this damage was NOT disclosed and NOT noted on the PPI that I had done by the Lotus dealership in Austin. I noticed it when I was picking something off of the garage floor. Needless to say I am twisted off because this could have been something I negotiated on the price I paid. Now I have damage to fix which, will likely include paint work, for a car that I clearly paid too much for.

Any recommendations will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
Katy Coach Works does the body repair for Star Motor Cars I believe. I have a similar crack, but I haven't shopped options yet. A Katy owner took his to a boat hull repair shop.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendation. I have yet to call Star about the issue.

I have two additional recommendations from the LOST group. I will need to start calling around.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got screwed by the PPI, not so much the seller. Bummer.
I would agree. This should have been obvious on the lift. It is clear that a "repair" had been done where it had been painted by the extra paint where the body meets the undertray. What is unclear to me is whether or not the fiberglass had chipped before or after I purchased the vehicle. Since I didn't see it before, I think that it was likely after I purchased the car.

If this can't be permanently fixed, due to the location of the crack, and becomes a recurring problem, this will either be an expensive repair (replace sill body panel) or a big loss in value versus what I paid. Bummer is not the word that came to mind...... more like many four letter words. :mad:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts