The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've been to Houston before, and driven a few times and found it different from what I'm used to (ie. free for all with the lanes on the freeway)but I arrived here last night and got a taxi from the airport to Briar Park and FFS, I've never been so scared in my life....... The guy was a complete loony, doing 70+ with inches to spare from other vehicles, darting from one lane to another into gaps just big enough for the car........ didn't have any change for the tolls.......and still expected a juicy tip at the end. Please tell me this isn't what you guys put up with on a daily basis, especially not in an Elise. The way this guy was driving he would never have spotted a tiny plastic car sitting below his level of vision. Anyway, back to the airport tomorrow afternoon.......if only there was a kind Lotus owner out there who happened to be going in the direction of the airport around 2pm..............

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
He Moved there from Michigan !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey 111Robin, I'm a native Houstonian and know, from experience, like ridng a motorcycle in Houston, keep some "space" around you when driving your Lotus in this town. Too many morons without drivers' licenses, insurance, and, more critical, driving skills and sense. YES, ITS SCARY!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
if only there was a kind Lotus owner out there who happened to be going in the direction of the airport around 2pm..............
Nah, you don't want to go back to the airport in an Elise. Nothing is as terrifying for the uninitiated as being surrounded by all the gigantic SUVs wobbling alongside you on the highway...and, besides, where would you put your bags?

Welcome to the U.S. BTW!

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think this guy qualified on all the above counts Nikki. Are there any decent twisty roads around Houston where you can get away from the loons on the freeways ?. It can't be much fun driving in that accident waiting to happen every day. Weather's nice though, considering I had to de-frost the car before I left for the airport and my Liz's have been off the road since October (yeah I know, what a woos but I don't see the point in trashing the Elise on salt covered roads)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Welcome to Texas, where signs and signal lights are merely advisory, and turn signals are a challenge.

Jerry

·
Registered
321 Posts
When I'm on my Duc or in the Lotus I drive with plenty of cushion on the freeways. I've had to throw more than a few ball bearings towards the windshield of ******* drivers. They back off real quick after that. I only do that on the bike though.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Incoming picture of texas taxi cab sitting on top of LB exige....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chaos rules!

IMHO the freeways in Houston are no worse than any other big city around the world. LA, Chicago, London, Paris, Munich, Amsterdam, Milan, Mexico City, I've driven in them all and each has some aspect of navigating traffic that is unique and takes some getting used to.

My Exige is my daily driver and yes I keep my distance and drive defensively, but I do the same when driving my '92 Chevy S-10 pick-up. Being aware of what is going on and avoiding 'bad situations" does not mean I don't use the acceleration peddle liberally at times!:shift:

As for the ride in a taxi, it is basically, Get in, strap down, hold on and shut up. TADTS

Hope you had a chance to get out and enjoy the city a bit. Some nice Spring weather.

Too bad you won't be here this weekend. The local Lotus group is having a track day and it should be pretty fun.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Trust me, you'll stop complaining once you've had a cab ride in Beijing or Shanghai.

There is not much that fazes me anymore ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
IMHO the freeways in Houston are no worse than any other big city around the world. LA, Chicago, London, Paris, Munich, Amsterdam, Milan, Mexico City, I've driven in them all and each has some aspect of navigating traffic that is unique and takes some getting used to.

My Exige is my daily driver and yes I keep my distance and drive defensively, but I do the same when driving my '92 Chevy S-10 pick-up. Being aware of what is going on and avoiding 'bad situations" does not mean I don't use the acceleration peddle liberally at times!:shift:

As for the ride in a taxi, it is basically, Get in, strap down, hold on and shut up. TADTS

Hope you had a chance to get out and enjoy the city a bit. Some nice Spring weather.

Too bad you won't be here this weekend. The local Lotus group is having a track day and it should be pretty fun.
A friend of mine that moved up here from houston told me "you pretty much have to be speeding, drinking, and shooting a shotgun to get pulled over in texas..."

I dont know how true that is but when I was in texas traffic did seem to move a lot faster and a bit crazier but nothing too crazy. now my vote for worst drivers would have to be pre-big dig boston, where the combination of angry drivers and all day rushhour seems to bring out the very worst in people.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Obviously your friend musn't have lived in I-59 north in Houston. There are so many cops on the freeway you are bound to get a ticket if you're speeding! We don't have a lot of twisties around Houston, at least that I am aware of, but the car is still a blast to dirve. We live up near Intercontinental Airport and I love to run the Elise up an down the BW. By the way, if anybody knows of good Elise roads near NE Houston, please share!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sk,

A while back I led the club on a fun run out in the NE area. Found some real nice twisty bits and the roads, for most of the way, were in excellent condition at the time.
Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can dig up the route and road numbers.
We stopped for lunch at a neat country resturant where the food was excellent and cheap.
The roads back were equally as fun and most were worn out by the time they got back.

Al B
lotus Owners of South Texas

You should try and make a club meeting once in a while. If you have, sorry, I'm really bad with names.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yeah.. the taxi drivers here are just practicing to drive the city busses.. They're all morons..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I'm just too much of a hick, haven't really driven in many large cities. Next time I'm in town if there are any Lotus events on I'd be glad to tag along,

Robin

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have a friend who lives in Houston who says that using your turn signal makes you a 'driver that other drivers will take advantage of'. He tailgates, doesn't signal, and drives like crap. He, of course, thinks he is a great driver.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I have a friend who lives in Houston who says that using your turn signal makes you a 'driver that other drivers will take advantage of'. He tailgates, doesn't signal, and drives like crap. He, of course, thinks he is a great driver.
Just for everyone else's reference: I don't live in Houston.
:)

Hmm... wonder if he was a recent African import. DFW taxi services seem to attract a lot of these fellows and they've been driving for about as long as they've been here.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Did you pay by credit card? If so might want to check your statement as they sometimes input the taxi faire twice,common scam by the taxi drivers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts