The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Texas!

Long time Lotus admirer, soon to be Lotus owner. I am currently a "Viper" guy, having owned 3 generations of them over the better part of the last decade. I enjoy cars that give me a visceral, connected, and largely analog experience. At the same time, I'm an engineer working in a R&D background so I'm a huge nerd and absolutely love tech. Probably explains the dichotomy of the current garage pairing.

Not even 5 months ago it had come down to the i8 vs an Evora GT, and we ended up picking the i8 (it was a very very difficult decision as the cars both spoke to us for different reasons). Had I bough the Evora GT, I frankly would have been extremely disappointed with the Emira launch--having felt like I made an ill timed purchase. Emira is taking everything I loved about the Evora GT, turning the dial to 11, and packaging it in an absolutely stunning wrapper inside and out. Knowing Lotus's strategic vision, it seems to be now or never for an ICE car from them. The morning of the 6th as they announced the car I just had that feeling--like this is going to be something special. I have never bought a new sports car--as I've never felt the value was there. Something felt different here, and I picked up the phone. I'm 2nd in line at my local dealer, and hopefully will be getting one of the first allocations.

A German, an American, and a Brit will have to coexist in our garage.

·
Administrator
6,787 Posts
Welcome to LT!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice garage! How long do you have to wait until your Emira gets here?
Anyone's guess is as good as mine. I'd imagine end of Q1 '22 at the earliest--based on prelim info from my dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are none.:ROFLMAO:

Honestly for good roads, you have to get into the hill country.
San Antonio Hill country is definitely the most "famous" region for good driving roads in Texas. You'll hear people talk about the "Twisted Sisters" route all the time.

I wouldn't say there are no driving roads in Houston, there are plenty, you just have to temper your expectations a bit. Probably the best roads in town (about 45min North of downtown Houston) are heading north from Montgomery on FM149 into the Sam Houston National Forest. Running from Montgomery to the Andersen courthouse is a popular route for local sports car and bike owners. Another excellent route is the FM3090 "loop" from Anderson. There are many many other roads in that general area to explore, these are just 2 of the examples.

West of town (passed Katy TX), there are some fun roads around the San Felipe de Austin memorial site heading out from Brookshire on FM359, then west on FM1458.

Here's an older video of me running some of these back roads;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
off topic - what garage door is that? And do you have a picture of it closed? Love the fact that it doesn't take up over-head space!
It is a Tmax roll-up door, and I absolutely love it, both for its appearance, and the full ceiling height (I have 10'4" ceilings).

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise, Touring Pack
29 Posts
Awesome garage and cars! I've found that a lot of Viper guys are Lotus guys too. Both visceral and analog and very true to themselves type of cars. I have watched a few of your YouTube videos and your car is a beast!

I almost pulled the trigger on a gen II GTS a bout 2 years ago but got my Elise instead. I'll get a Viper one day to park along side the Elise!

Welcome to LT!

·
Registered
496 Posts
@Miatawoman , that route going through Pattison is a good one. There is another good one near Hempstead and some towards Richmond as well. The curvy roads tend to be linked to a creek or river, otherwise it is mostly a straight, grid-like road system, especially south of I-290. Consider joining Lotus Owners of South Texas, which is the local owners group.

Reactions: Miatawoman

·
Registered
93 Posts
On the rollup door, I am in DFW area, in need of a new door soon. My garage is air conditioned and I need the door to be insulated and sealed when closed. I am also planning for a lift in the future. Does this door fit the bill? How good is the insulation?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the rollup door, I am in DFW area, in need of a new door soon. My garage is air conditioned and I need the door to be insulated and sealed when closed. I am also planning for a lift in the future. Does this door fit the bill? How good is the insulation?
I have no idea how well insulated the door is, this is something you may have to call and ask Tmax--I've dropped their website link in a previous reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts