The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to purchase a fully assembled Caterham in the US?

I've been looking at the new R500. It's road legal in England, is that true here also? I guess I wouldn't mind buying one of these.

thanks!
Ara

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Most of the distributors will assemble the cars for you, I know Jeff at British Auto, www.britauto.net does, he built one for a friend of mine. My advice is build the car yourself, it is almost as much fun as driving it! And remember having built it it is much easier to maintain it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Shay2Nak

These are the guys in So Cal

http://www.autocourseinc.com/

They've had an assembled superlight for sale for a while (as in at least a year).

It's not an 'R500' per se -- but you can build/modify these cars to pretty much whatever spec you want. In Cali, land of taxes and over-regulation, you'll have to register it as a kit-car to get in on the street. Have to do this early in the year, as the state only allows 500 kit cars to be registered

I think buiding one would be really cool, too, but I hear it takes a lot more time than they estimate.

I've been toying with the idea for some time, but figure the Lotus is more pratical

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Caterham claims you can build one in 80 - 100 hours, maybe if you have already built several. Mine took something on the order of 250 hours to build, but then I was very picky about the build quality. Before you buy a Super Light R make sure you sit in one and preferably drive one.
Oh, the R500 has a Rover K series engine in it, you would be much better off in the US with a Super Light R (same chassis) and the Zetec SVO engine, that is what was tested in Automobile magazine. The Rover K series engine with 230hp has to be rebuilt every 5 - 10K miles!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info & links!

originally posted by James A
The Rover K series engine with 230hp has to be rebuilt every 5 - 10K miles!
i heard that the engine sounded like it was about to break down, but I had no idea the engine had to be rebuilt that often! Wow!

originally posted by grudkin
In Cali, land of taxes and over-regulation, you'll have to register it as a kit-car to get in on the street. Have to do this early in the year, as the state only allows 500 kit cars to be registered
this is why i hate california. way too many regulations on everything.

another question
Does one have to absolutely use the Ford engines? What if I wanted to install a motor from a S2000?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
man, and I though that put in a motor from a RX-7 or RX-8 would be cool. That hybusa engine would be awesome alone, with turbo it's got to be mind numbingly fast. The RX-8 engine is only 94 pounds. I test drove one and it went to redline without me even noticing several times and quite easily. Too bad the chassis doesn't live up to the engine.

There's Caterham sitting at a classic car dealer here in Pgh collecting dust. Man I would love that thing to be in my driveway. Second only to my Elise. It might be #1 if Jennifer Love Hewitt was in the passager side, especially if she was showing alot of skin. :crazyeyes

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The most awesome Seven I have ever seen had a Mazda race engine in it, unbelievable! At the end of each autocross run the external exhaust system would be glowing red! The thing was so friggin fast it was something to watch. I can't remember the guys name who ran it, it was in the Los Angeles area in the mid seventies he ran all the Lotus club autocrosses and would almost always take top time.
You can pretty much stuff any engine you want into a Seven the real limiting factor is space in the engine compartment and bell housing and gearbox dimensions.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
James A said:
The most awesome Seven I have ever seen had a Mazda race engine in it, unbelievable! At the end of each autocross run the external exhaust system would be glowing red! The thing was so friggin fast it was something to watch. I can't remember the guys name who ran it, it was in the Los Angeles area in the mid seventies he ran all the Lotus club autocrosses and would almost always take top time.
Jim Gallagher.
That was truly an awesome car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts