The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just drove my buddy's 98 NSXt (13K miles). he's added Bilstein shocks, 18/19 SSR GT3s and an Espelir exhaust.

well this was my first drive and I came away thinking I could definitely live with a used NSX for the 50 large I plan on spending on an Elise (whenever that may be ).

is anyone else a prior owner or thought about this as an alternative? It has a classic (some say dated) look and it drives as easily as an Accord (except that limited rear view).

the exhaust is a one of a kind here in the states as Espelir doesn't offer an NSX exhaust for the states. It sounded awesome! made the car sound like a V8 to me but didn't completely mask the intake hiss. Aggresive but not obnoxious.

sigh, I want my Elise but the NSX is a definite option in my book since the majority of the depreciation is already built into the price...

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the comptech supercharger does seem to be a popular option with the nsx crowd, but the performance numbers out of the box are pretty respectable too...

how fast does one have to get across an intersection? I don't think many of the guys upgrading their nsx's are racing their cars - seems more of a bragging rights thing to me...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you can find a well cared for, low mileage NSX that hasn't been modified, it's a pretty safe proposition. Mark is right -- most owners have modified their NSX's in an effort to get more power. For the sake of reliability, I would try to find a bone-stock car.

The NSX, as those who are familiar with them will confirm, is an outstanding car. Most purists will point you towards the coupe, as the body structure is more rigid than the targa version.

Simply put, you're not going to lose your shirt on a used NSX -- if you do your homework. Try NSXprime.com or other sources for more info.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I certainly thought about it. I rented an NSX just after I moved to LA (after graduating from college and having money for the first time in my life). The NSX is a very livable car - easy to get in & out of, reliable, good power down low (around town engine speed), and is surprisingly forgivable for a mid-engine car given its length. It's not nearly as much a "pure sports car" but it's not supposed to be - it's a GT. You can fill the trunk to the top, stow the top under the engine lid & drive across ountry in supreme comfort.

It's an outstanging car. Tough decision. I prefer the Elise, obviously, but the NSX is on my short list.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have had 2 nsx . '92 and '02. Both were awesome cars but lacked power as well as handling. I took my bone stock nsx to moroso track in PB and could not believe the understeer these cars had. The o-60 times were ok but nothing like the comparable gt cars. After the '92 I bought an esprit and had so many problems that lotus took it back ang gave me a new one. I am going to give lotus another chance, by buying the elise which should be here next week will see. As far as buying a used one go for it . Very few problems and relatively inexpensive to repair.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am actually flirting with going the other direction! May consider selling my NSX to get the Elise (similar color).

We shall see! Honestly a tough decision.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The NSX is a gorgeous car. I've always wanted one. Earlier this week, 3 Elise owners (myself included) joined a local meet of the NSX club -- 14 NSXs. Very nice.

But compared the the Elise, the NSX is a BOAT! :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have an NSX (in fact, I met my wife in the NSX club 6 years ago). Compared to an Elise, it is a luxury car. The NSX is a totally liveable car. It is not the compromise the Elise is. Even though the price is the same, it does not fall into a comparable category (to me) any more than my F350 Dually does. This despite that they are all about the same price (with a used NSX).

NSX:
faster in a straight line
Sexy, exotic (to me)
More comfortable ride
More space (set of golf clubs fit in trunk)
More reliability
Knife-edge handling
Great sound (with mandatory exhaust change)

Elise:
Better and more predictable handling
more sporting purity
more "English" for good or bad

F350:
More torque
More steel ($/ pound is MUCH lower)
More tires
More seats
More capacity
More more

Ara :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
maserati

anyone in here have any experiences with maserati cars? i love the way they look but never drove one. are they more trouble then theyre worth? unreliable?

·
Registered
9 Posts
to supra2nv-trading cars

I have a beautiful black/black Elise with touring package. All told I paid 49000. It has 300 miles and is spotless. Want to trade for your NSX?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: to supra2nv-trading cars

gvoeller said:
I have a beautiful black/black Elise with touring package. All told I paid 49000. It has 300 miles and is spotless. Want to trade for your NSX?
Thank you so much for your offer. Unfortunately I would only consider either Titanium or Graphite colors for the Elise. Still debating as well if I am willing to get rid of my "refined" NSX for what is essentially a go kart (dont mean this in an offensive way).

Besides, I feel my car is worth more than $49k, but on the flipside so is yours considering the unavailability of the Elise.

Again I appreciate the offer.

Jack

·
Registered
409 Posts
Would an NSX make an appropriate winter car to supplement the Elise if snow driving were kept to a minimum?

:) :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
you know, I am seriously having second thoughts about getting rid of the NSX. Took it out for a drive today and reminded me how much I love this car. Also, all the "imperfections and small problems" the Elises are having are scaring me a bit.

FYI.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
supra2nv said:
you know, I am seriously having second thoughts about getting rid of the NSX. Took it out for a drive today and reminded me how much I love this car. Also, all the "imperfections and small problems" the Elises are having are scaring me a bit.

FYI.
looking at your sig, you're spoiled by problem-free japanese cars!!!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Jack,

You're quite correct about having reservations. The NSX is light years ahead of the Elise in its reliability/liveability.

There's a reason Lotus sells the number of cars it does. We Lotus lovers console ourselves with pedigree/exclusivity as we tackle yet another problem with our cars...

Hang on to your NSX -- it really is one of the all-time greats. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
raggedy1 said:
looking at your sig, you're spoiled by problem-free japanese cars!!!!
ditto!!! the one comfort I have with the elise is the drive train with the mindset that "the car is so simple, what else could go wrong?"....guess I was wrong.

I love the Elise I must say. "comfort" issues dont bother me. It is the little flaws that bug me more than anything.

Jack

·
Registered
46 Posts
Goose said:
Jack,

You're quite correct about having reservations. The NSX is light years ahead of the Elise in its reliability/liveability.

There's a reason Lotus sells the number of cars it does. We Lotus lovers console ourselves with pedigree/exclusivity as we tackle yet another problem with our cars...

Hang on to your NSX -- it really is one of the all-time greats. :)
Thanks for the compliment on the NSX. I love a few things vs. the lotus.

1) the styling is proven, and a proven classic. The darn thing is 14 years old (in styling) and still turns heads everywhere I go!

2) It's a Honda!!!!! need I say more?

3) production is done....no new NSX (Honda scrapped the HSC), and there are only 9k or so NSX's on the road in total with only 150 more per year (in U.S.). So no risk of NSX's flooding the market (I worry about this with the Elise, maybe througha licensing agreement with another manufacturer).

4) I have already taken the depreciation...it should be stable from now on...especially with no replacement and the color I have which is 1 of ~94 in the U.S.!

Still thinking. The Elise is tempting:) I guess I can always put my deposit down and decide in the meantime!!!!

Jack

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Supra2nv, I recently sold my NSX. It was an early automatic
(main reason I sold it). I have gravitated towards the race track over the years and the NSX (particularly as an automatic) isn't a very good track car out of the box. It feels rather heavy, is slightly prone to understeer, has substandard brakes (compared to others in its class) and feels underpowered to me. If you are willing to spend a lot of money you can make the NSX a good track car, but it is already a superb grand tourer. I think of the Elise as a totally different type of car than the NSX. If you are willing to give up comfort and Honda reliability you get a true track car with even a base Elise: lighter, quicker and more engaging than the NSX. If you want an exotic-looking and reliable daily driver, hang on to your NSX. If you want a track or Auto-X car or just something more esoteric, get the Elise!
Rob- NSX is definately not a winter driver.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts