The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I post this to gain insight on how these cars holding up as they aged.

Pls if you have a 30K+ mileage Exige pls reply with your experience regarding unscheduled maintenance on drivetrain, chassis and just about anything on this vehicle. I heard this cars gets track and some are DD and weekend warriors. Why 30k miles? Planning on buying an 07 Exige S and i see Exiges with 30K miles.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just oil changes, and tires for me. Make sure the car you buy doesnt have any fiberglass repair anywhere. It seems most have at least one injury.

·
Registered
58 Posts
50 000 on my exige and no problems at all. Just the normal service stuff oil, brakes, tyres etc.

My friends has 97 000 on it and it runs beautifully.

Of my 5 loti nothing has ever gone wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Popcorn- it's a Toyota engine. The rest of the stuff has been covered here thoroughly. Just read.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
They're about as beat up as an Elise with similar mileage.

There are cars which have spent 30+k miles on track which probably are a little more beat up than a car which barely has seen second cam.

It's all relative.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys,

Thanks for all the responses except to EXIGED.

The reason I asked is i'm coming from a different platform (car) and have read in that forum that others got a used low mileage car and end up regretting it. One reason is that they didn't know the car and impulse buying landed them a car with issues. They are not mechanically inclined and paranoid everything they hear and smell about their new used vehicle. I am very unfamiliar with these Lotus and have been reading as much as i can so i can be well informed when i pull the plug on buying one of these Exige.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you are in California near San Jose, you can come over to Dietsch Werks and we can perform a buyers inspection for you :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Klint,

I'm down here in San Diego but if ever i find one Exige close by you I definitely going to swing by your shop. I drive up to see my sister who lives in Palo Alto from time to time, this gives me reason to drive up there. Will pm you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't think some buyers regret buying them because of maintenance issues - don't assume that. When you see these 2005 30K mile Exige/Elises on the market, they are probably being sold because the seller needs money or a bigger car or room in the garage. And some people may get tired of the harsh ride and lack of creature comforts. I don't think it has anything to do with reliability.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,718 Posts
I'm at 64,500 miles and no problems at all. I've driven it all over this country and do 2 - 3 track days per year in it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to know from the first responder to the latest post that these cars are nothing different from another vehicles with pros and cons. Even "Exiged has something nice to say about these cars :up:. OBTW "exiged", i read your build and its inspiring if ever i end up with a N/A. I think i'm set with an 07 Exiged S with as high as 30k. Now i just have to nail down the exterior color. Titanium grey, chrome orange, Light blue like this guy ;), and red are A+. For some reason I still want a track packaged. Can someone pls tell me why i should and should not get one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Experienced

Ok I just came from the Euromeet here in San Diego. A owner of an 05 Elise was kind enough for me to drive his car. He had just bought that car for a little over two months. Luckily, this car was modified with a Katana supercharger. Boosted 2000lb vehicle is like being catapult on a C-2 cargo plane on an aircraft carrier. I didn't want to bury my foot to far down since its not mine. I asked a lot of questions from all the Elise/Exige owners and what i heard convinced me more of buying these cars. While i was out driving, my wife told me that there was a chrome orange Exige that left the event and she said its beautiful. Decision, decision.....:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Westrock,

When you say body wear you are talking just the outer skin and not the chassis right?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Keep in mind this is basically the same engine as in the Toyota Celica and some of those engines have close to 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great cars, far less maintenance than any of my Porsches.....even though my Exige only has 4200 miles on it, I don't expect any issues that can't be easily handled in the comfort of my own garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts