The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I normally don't preach this... but you might wanna try out the search function... there are a bunch of ideas to be found that way.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Here is my solution to the front plate issues here in Canada

Attachments

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Paul MD said:
I normally don't preach this... but you might wanna try out the search function... there are a bunch of ideas to be found that way.

Perhaps, I missed them to but virtually all plate threads that I have read are elise specific. I have talked to Robert from BWR and he thinks that with minor modification their plate bracket will work. But as of right now the elise mounting is not the same as the exige do to the different grill and possible other small differences. But again, maybe I missed the exige plate mounting thread and if so please point me in that right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
umm, I did. almost all of them are elises, and wouldn't work on the exige because of the lip.:rolleyes:

Paul MD said:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Using the BWR bracket on a Elise with the GUT splitter. Should be quite close to what you would need for an Exige. I angled the license plate bracket up a couple of degrees to clear the splitter and put some foam tape on the back of the license plate in case it ever comes in contact with the splitter.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
pafable said:
Using the BWR bracket on a Elise with the GUT splitter. Should be quite close to what you would need for an Exige. I angled the license plate bracket up a couple of degrees to clear the splitter and put some foam tape on the back of the license plate in case it ever comes in contact with the splitter.
I am going to contact BWR again to see if they have anytime to fiddle with it. I know Robert said the he would when he got back to the shop.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
....in a plastic bag behind the drivers seat

·
Registered
666 Posts
Here in Virginia we're an enforce-the-ugly-front-plate state. Mine's afixed with magnets. I went to Radio Shack and bought 8 little brick magnets (about 2.5 x 0.5 x 1 inch) for $1.20 each and a pack of J-B Weld (epoxy glue-type stuff--about $2) from Wal-Mart. The front grill detaches easily with a couple of latches allowing access behind the front plate area. I glued 4 magnets inside the clam behind the plate area and 4 corresponding magnets on the back of the license plate (VA plates are aluminum) being sure to match the polarities. Then I put a strip of foam tape on each of the plate magnets as a scratch guard. This way the clam remains pristine and the plate pops off with a good tug. It's plenty secure...at least up to about 105mph. You can adjust the plate height as you like it by placing it higher or lower (on the Elise anyway) on the unseen mount magnets. I've had mine pop off twice from bottoming out on a turn into a parking lot--the plate just comes loose and skitters across the pavement--no damage to the clam, mount or plate. (Of course, you gotta get out and sheepishly retrieve your plate, but it's better than holes in the clam or tickets. :eek: ) That wouldn't be a problem for you though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cup Holder- Any pictures?

·
Registered
666 Posts
We're off topic, but...This isn't a great pic, but it's all I have. It slides out from under the dash right in front of the shifter, under the A/C controls. It ain't much. It would hold a can of Coke in an emergency. It's just an aluminum ring (bearly visible) with a loop of leather across the bottom.

EliseCupholder.JPG

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
WhitePlume said:
Here in Virginia we're an enforce-the-ugly-front-plate state. Mine's afixed with magnets. I went to Radio Shack and bought 8 little brick magnets (about 2.5 x 0.5 x 1 inch) for $1.20 each and a pack of J-B Weld (epoxy glue-type stuff--about $2) from Wal-Mart. The front grill detaches easily with a couple of latches allowing access behind the front plate area. I glued 4 magnets inside the clam behind the plate area and 4 corresponding magnets on the back of the license plate (VA plates are aluminum) being sure to match the polarities. Then I put a strip of foam tape on each of the plate magnets as a scratch guard. This way the clam remains pristine and the plate pops off with a good tug. It's plenty secure...at least up to about 105mph. You can adjust the plate height as you like it by placing it higher or lower (on the Elise anyway) on the unseen mount magnets. I've had mine pop off twice from bottoming out on a turn into a parking lot--the plate just comes loose and skitters across the pavement--no damage to the clam, mount or plate. (Of course, you gotta get out and sheepishly retrieve your plate, but it's better than holes in the clam or tickets. :eek: ) That wouldn't be a problem for you though.
Ok,this could be my answer. Any pics?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Plate magnets

I don't have a working digital camera right now or I'd post a few. The things to keep in mind are these:

1. Glue the magnets to the back of the license plate first. For Exige I expect you'll want them glued across the bottom half of the plate so the finished product rides above the splitter.

2. The magnets are strong enough to slowly pull together during gluing and mess up the alignment. Figure out a way to hold them apart while the glue dries.

3. When dry the plate will need to be bent in a slight curve for all the magnets to rest flush against the clam.

4. Match the polarity of the magnets intended for the inside of the clam with the magnet they will correspond to on the plate. You don't want some attracting and some repelling. Make sure you apply glue to the proper side.

5. Hold the plate against the clam and use the magnets themselves to align and stablize the gluing of the inner magnets. You'll basically be doing this part blind. I certainly couldn't stick my big head through the grill to see what I was doing. (Perhaps a mirror? Didn't think of it at the time.)

Not counting drying time it takes all of 5 minutes and costs about $12. Cheap and easy...that's my style.

·
Registered
226 Posts
hatchy said:
Because I just dont see how it's going to fit and look even remotely acceptable.
I used the Lotus-dealer supplied bracket and bent it to fit the lettering so that air flow would not be restricted. I let the dealer mount the modified bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow unless you got some a-hole cop in your area and always tickets you where you park your car... pay the fine and for fix-it tickets used two sided tape, go home and take it off

Just looks ugly on our cars imo, kinda ruins it by putting the plate on :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts