The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was inspired by my line in the Timing belt has snapped thread.

"While a reasonable price was a factor it appeared that the highest price was not the most important factor to the seller as mention of a local buyer and the ability to complete the work to get the Esprit on the road came up numerous times."

The question is would you accept a lower price for your Esprit if you felt that its new home would be better as in the car would receive the proper care and attention in a respectful manner?

Or

Could you sell it to anyone who would pay more or the asking price knowing that there was a high probability that the car would end up trashed or wrecked by neglectful actions and/or through reckless driving?

So how attached are you to your car or would it just be a straight forward business deal when time comes to sell your car?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Great Question.
While I never owned a LOTUS, I was dedicated to 2-928's for 15 years and there was almost always some anomaly going on with them.
I totally empathize with what your saying.
Yes. I did sell sell my GT for less knowing that it went to another 928 fanatic.
I'm sure I'd do the same with a LOTUS..if she was good at least half the time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just do it..... right !

I prefer to have the work done regardless of what the sales price may be.
This is something that responsible owners need to do and do correctly.
Doing a bodge on a Lotus ( or any mid-high end car is just wrong ).
I am selling my Final Edition Esprit and will lose over $8k in 7 months on the deal, but the car is right and I can sleep at night.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just wrapped up my 4th summer with my 94 Esprit. Other than being down 1/3 of one summer with a bad fuel injector the car has met all my needs, been very dependable, very useable and I have really had fun.

I got it for under $20k (w/24.5K miles) and while I should look at doing a minimal timing belt and tensioner change next spring (ended this year with 28743...so 4k miles in 4 years) I'll probably push it until 2015 if I keep it all next year.

So, to the question... If something really bad happened early next srping and I was looking at $5k or more in repairs I would dump it. I got a great deal on the car and I have gotten a lot for my money in my 4 years that even dumping it in the mid teens ($) because of mechanical issues would have been money well spent.

I'm certainly not the type of owner to just run a car into the ground and toss it when it's done, but I'm a realist too. For me there is no sense in paying for service or repair that is equal to or greater than 30% of the cars overall value. Having also owned a ferrari for 12 years you see that kind of stuff all the time. Owners who spend $30K on a car that even with the service is overall worth $40K-$50K is just not smart... IMO

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you need to read he actual question again.

In short would you sell to the the high bidder knowing that there was a good probability that the car would end up in the hands of an undesirable owner or would you sell for less money knowing the car would end up in the hands of a responsible owner.

·
Registered
66 Posts
you need to read he actual question again.

In short would you sell to the the high bidder knowing that there was a good probability that the car would end up in the hands of an undesirable owner or would you sell for less money knowing the car would end up in the hands of a responsible owner.
I would let it go for a lower price to a responsible owner given the option.

I basically did that with my 308 in july. Buyer had a specific price limit, but in talking with him he was as excited about the car as I was when I first bought it 12 years ago and knew he would take good care of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will never sell this Gym.. maintenance can be expensive but with the right mechanic you will get by.. anything you love it worth it right !!. to answer the question if I had to sell it , which is neveer I hope, it would have to be to someone that knows what he / she is getting into and know how to drive it first and most of all lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Reminds me of something I read recently: "High Bidder - The person who owns something that every one else thought was worth less..."

Once I get my top end rebuilt after the timing belt snafu, I plan to do the seats, see how much I've got into it and take it from there. My other two cars I've had for five and eight years so I've got no problem holding onto it for a while. Given it's age, I am worried about the citroen transmission, so it probably won't be driven as much as I'd like to. If I do sell it, I'm thinking I'll go the ebay route, so no telling who it would wind up with it, but they'll get a new timing belt and newly covered seats and a fresh front suspension....

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,098 Posts
So how attached are you to your car
I'll answer that, by saying that I've owned my 1988 Esprit since 1993. :cool:

Every time I drive it I just feel so, CONTENT. (More so lately, since the other day, I drove it for the first time in two years. Then, the snows came... :( )

I think the PO of my car sensed my automotive passion. Maybe that's why I was able to negotiate a good price. :huh:

(No, that couldn't have been it.)rotfl

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll answer that, by saying that I've owned my 1988 Esprit since 1993. :cool:

Every time I drive it I just feel so, CONTENT. (More so lately, since the other day, I drove it for the first time in two years. Then, the snows came... :( )

I think the PO of my car sensed my automotive passion. Maybe that's why I was able to negotiate a good price. :huh:

(No, that couldn't have been it.)rotfl
I would say that many of us can tell within minutes if we are talking to a fellow car guy. I do believe that such a person can probably negotiate a better (fair) price. Other than the fact such a car person would probably be very knowledgeable and tracking the current listing and actual sell prices. I would much prefer to sell a car to a car guy rather than someone who just happened to be able to afford the car. There is also a downside in that many do get so attached to their cars it affects their judgement and over price their cars on the open market. Any way the car guy to car guy is the preferred transaction and the way I buy cars. I think I need the confidence that the car has been routinely diagnosed and maintained that leads to the feeling the car has been properly represented at the time of sale.

Cal H

1 - 10 of 10 Posts