The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2011 evora and it's terrific

So wondering how such an outstanding product with rich heritage is effectively bankrupt ?

What do you think...?

Steve

·
Back to the Future, again
6,154 Posts
Name the last time you saw any advertising from Lotus. Now, if you have even seen one, think about what impression it made.

Personally, I have not seen one advert outside of what I found on YouTube, and all the ones I have seen are horrible. Nothing close to the lifestyle marketing approach by Ducati or Harley, and nothing slick or memorable like the Jaguar ads from the 90's which fused music and artful compositions together with moving cars.

·
6,154 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Name the last time you saw any advertising from Lotus. Now, if you have even seen one, think about what impression it made.Personally, I have not seen one advert outside of what I found on YouTube, and all the ones I have seen are horrible. Nothing close to the lifestyle marketing approach by Ducati or Harley, and nothing slick or memorable like the Jaguar ads from the 90's which fused music and artful compositions together with moving cars.
I've seen a lot of full page Evora ads in most, if not all of the top 4 or 5 car magazines in the US over the last year. They are pretty slick. Of course, print media is becoming less and less relevant.

I've never seen a Ducati ad.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Those "True character" ads before the Evora, with the faceless people. Impressed me because they were memorable, and extremely inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
How bad is lotus marketing? Look at questions which most lotus owners have to field.
What is it? What is a Lotus? Where is it made? What does it cost? Etc.. ..
There is a significant lack of product recognition the general public. Oh, the public will look at the car, and they like it. But as a rule, the general public does not know the product well enough to actually ask for it. Hardcore gearheads know of Lotus, and a few make it a goal to purchase one. I was exposed to my first lotus in the early 1980's, found it on a used car mart (Lotus Elan S2). After looking at it's construction I was curious who this Colin Champman fella was, watched the company wax and wain over the decades. Eventually I purchased an Elise. Just seeing a lotus back in the 80's set me on the path to eventually purchase one, not any clever marketing ploy on the part of lotus management. Even in a gear-head environment (like the SCCA) there are a lot of misconceptions about Lotus. They see the cars turning solid times, but somehow mistakenly believe they will have to shell out 50k for a stock used elise (which is beyond what they want to spend on their driving hobby). At this point I don't see lotus having the budget which would be required for the media blitz to "educate" the public on their product. Just as important, if the public is "won over", lotus does not have the production capability to support a large public demand. Many people have to wait months for their customized lotus to be built. Imagine what would happen if orders doubled, or tripled. Yes, lotus would eventually ramp up production (with the usual quality control issues associated with expansion), and the newly won over public would be angry over the delays and quality issues (effectively un-doing the gains from the media blitz). Lotus is placed in the market in the polar opposite of a sweet spot. Their volume is too large to use a "caterham business model", and their price/profit model doesn't match larger manufacturers (such as ford, chevy, toyota..etc), they are not coveted enough to use the Lamborgini/ferrari model. They are, in essence, in no-man's land. I saw the announcement of the new models as an attempt to tap into the lambo,ferrari market (higher hp and higher price), I don't know if that attempt would have worked, but it looks like the door on the "5 new models" is closed now. If I were at the helm, there is one market I would avidly chase. They need to sell rolling chassis to the US market and partner with a US engine manufacturer (The ultima gtr business model). This allows them to get around expensive crash testing requirements, and EPA engine requirements. The cars would be CARB exempt. This way, gear heads could have the car they want (higher HP than available lotus cars), and perhaps with suspension upgrades for the rolling chassis. Just my long-winded 2 cents.

·
6,154 Posts
I've seen a lot of full page Evora ads in most, if not all of the top 4 or 5 car magazines in the US over the last year. They are pretty slick. Of course, print media is becoming less and less relevant.

I've never seen a Ducati ad.
Ducati has cut back on the adverts a bit but in the 90's and early 2000's, every motorcycle magazine had a full page ad, usually the back cover, featuring a Ducati "PEOPLE" ad.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I see Evora ads in Road and Track that are so so.
I see Ducati ads all the time in motorcycle magazines.
Is printed media passe?
Lotus is too small to do TV ads really.
Lotus' appeal was light weight and high(ish) performance, the Evora isn't light and the performance is very good, but not great.

I would love to see an LS3 Chevrolet mid-engined Lotus.
Take the Elise aluminum tub with a normally aspirated 436HP or 505 HP Chevy engine in the middle, bigger tires and brakes, 2800 lbs for the street.
The LS3 has an all aluminum (and plastic) lightweight, low CG construction. Can you imagine a 211 track only car of 2400 lbs. with 436-500+ HP? It could be done for $80K easily.
I'm dreaming, but ...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I've seen Evora ads in Road and Track and in Car and Driver.

Actually I was a bit excited about that since I thought Lotus was not doing any ads.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I would love to see an LS3 Chevrolet mid-engined Lotus.

Take the Elise aluminum tub with a normally aspirated 436HP or 505 HP Chevy engine in the middle, bigger tires and brakes, 2800 lbs for the street.
The LS3 has an all aluminum (and plastic) lightweight, low CG construction. Can you imagine a 211 track only car of 2400 lbs. with 436-500+ HP? It could be done for $80K easily.
I'm dreaming, but ...
They kinda sorta built that car in 1998...right down to the (then Lotus designed ZR1) Corvette engine!
Of course, they only made one or two for the street.

Google Image Result for http://www.fastestlaps.com/photos/Lotus_Elise_GT1_Type_115_488f66a57632c.jpg

·
6,154 Posts
I've seen Evora ads in Road and Track and in Car and Driver.

Actually I was a bit excited about that since I thought Lotus was not doing any ads.
Now think to what was memorable about the ad. Is it because you know the car and brand already? What if you had no idea about the brand or the car? What thoughts, emotions, or feelings did the ad bring up? What stuck out in your mind?

·
Registered
320 Posts
The best form of advertising for Lotus is for them to build great cars and have the car magazines and enthusiasts like us rave about them.

Ferrari, Aston-Martin and Lamborghini dont advertise at all and they sell cars, so why does Lotus have too?

Realistically the crapper the car the more you have to advertise it to persuade people who dont want or need it to buy.

Thats why Chrysler and GM spend so much on commercials.

·
Registered
320 Posts
They kinda sorta built that car in 1998...right down to the (then Lotus designed ZR1) Corvette engine!
Of course, they only made one or two for the street.

Google Image Result for http://www.fastestlaps.com/photos/Lotus_Elise_GT1_Type_115_488f66a57632c.jpg
The current Toyota/Lexus DOHC 4 valves per cylinder5.7 V8 is a better powerplant than the GM pushrod V8 and it has Lotus engineering DNA, it would have made an excellent Esprit powerplant.

It also sounds great at high RPM, has a real exotic sound to it (as did the original LT5/ZR1 powerplant)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The best car promotional piece ever IMO. Whoever can take the essence of this and put it into a 1 minute commercial will have a winner.

·
6,154 Posts
The best form of advertising for Lotus is for them to build great cars and have the car magazines and enthusiasts like us rave about them.

Ferrari, Aston-Martin and Lamborghini dont advertise at all and they sell cars, so why does Lotus have too?

Realistically the crapper the car the more you have to advertise it to persuade people who dont want or need it to buy.

Thats why Chrysler and GM spend so much on commercials.
Aston actually has commercials and ads, just not here. As for Ferrari and Lambo, they have a waitlist without advertising and with such a small customer base, where can they advertise that is not going to be a waste of money pitching to a demographic that won't be their customer anyway? Any regular car enthusiast magazine readership will consist of about 90%+ of people that can't afford those cars anyway. It'll be as useful as advertising yachts in the latest issue of inner tubing monthly.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No ad hit home harder than Clint Eastwood's crystler ad at the super bowl, but thats because of America's emotional attachment to the automotive heritage and the current economical condition, not necessary about a specific vehicle and its a pretty easy layup when you talk about that, instead.

Anyway, I prefer Lotus didnt advertise and let word of mouth do it's job. I thoroughly enjoy driving a vehicle people dont see on the road ever.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
niclipse,
It is to my advantage for Lotus to perpetuate. It all comes down to parts availability. I would like it if they had a larger customer base, even if it made my car less exclusive. Ten years from now, when an idiot pulls out in front of you and you bend an A-arm, you may see it my way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts