The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reluctantly decided to pull the valve cover after hearing about some of the horror stories with this stupid cam lobe issue. All the lobes looked mint except for one. The one on the far right on the intake side had some very minor scraping on it... so minor that I could barely feel them when i ran my finger over the lobe. The 2nd cam still seems strong when i hit "lift" and I haven't had any check engine lights. Do I have anything to worry about here?

(sorry for the pics, there wasn't a whole lot of light in my garage)

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Not a good sign. A few more closeups of #1 would be helpful as well.

I would suggest getting something done about it asap anyhow.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you "scratch" across it with your fingernail, can you feel that it is scored?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and what if I did end up replacing the camshaft... whats to keep this from happening again. are the new camshafts harder? is there a different type that i should install?

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
No 1 is the closest to the passenger side of the vehicle and the timing chain. The lobe with the scratches is the high lift intake cam lobe of no. 1 cylinder. How many miles? There are links to other pictures on this site. Review them. Mine pictures are under "camshaft check pictures"

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
You should be able to feel a groove in the middle or a ridge on the outer ends....that is what mine felt like...I dont know...if you dont feel a ridge...it may be ok...but it does look bad.

YOu might want to look into Piper Cams.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
which one is number 1?
Easy way to tell with the valve cover off is: You see in the pic where it says 'I1'? That means that it's intake-side, cylinder one.

Notably, your car is a 2005. Most of the ones I've seen with problems are primarily 2005s with some 2006s sprinkled in for good measure. In the event that you do replace the cam, break a rocker arm, or get a code (P1301, P1302) let me know as I have a list going in another thread. Sooner or later, I may just start a thread specifically for... 'The List'. :evil:

Also, if you do take your valve cover off again, it might be interesting to find out the alignment of the oil squirter on that cam lobe a la what Nick and Michael (ZTEC and insane) did in this here thread (http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/camshaft-cover-defect-causing-rocker-arm-breakage-p1302-50594/) when Michael's rocker arm ate it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Time for a cam upgrade. A good excuse for one anyway.

wouldn't i need a new tune if I got new cams?

to be honest, I don't think the damage is that bad at all... like I said, I can barely even feel it and it has not effected performance at all and I have not gotten any error codes or check engine lights.

I'll probably replace them anyway, but I don't want to replace them with the same thing if its just going to happen again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
How many miles on your Elise? What is the manufactured date on the car?
It does not look very bad, and it does not seem to have any end ridges.

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
My suggestion would be to keep an eye on that #1 lobe and inspect it at least once a year. I have to agree with the others that this does not look good, but you have a long way to go before that lobe is worn far enough to set codes and/or break a rocker arm. How many miles are on this engine? I have a spare engine with only 1,100 miles on it that has this same appearance on one of the intake cam lobes as yours--looks like it is just starting to go bad.

I can say that the replacement cam in the engine in my car right now has just over 1,000 miles and is showing no signs of any abnormal wear (I just inspected it seeing as my warranty is expiring soon) so I am hoping the new cams don't have this problem too. Good luck, and if you continue to run that cam, keep us updated on the wear.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How many miles on your Elise? What is the manufactured date on the car?
It does not look very bad, and it does not seem to have any end ridges.

I have just over 14k on the car w/ a manufacture date of January 2005.

I really don't think its as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The pictures actually make it look worse than it is.

Have you checked yours yet vampyre? I've noticed that a majority of the people who have this problem are the people that check to see if they have the problem. The ones who don't check seem to be just fine. rotfl

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I really don't think its as bad as everyone is making it out to be. The pictures actually make it look worse than it is.
Better safe than sorry, if you start hearing any distinct valve/rocker ticking, replace the camshaft immediately.

Better than broken stuffs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts