The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Officially the rolled-up roof fits on the 'shelf' behind the seats.

Never managed it on my car though :D

And I suspect that the 'padded' softtop rolls up to a larger package.

Still.. The luggage area is deceptively large. It's reasonably deep and extends to the sides of the car.

Never found much problems with putting the top in the back and a lot of other stuff.

Very good tip on packing in an Elise: put all your stuff in soft bags! This allows you to squeeze and push the things into all the corners of the luggage space and behind the seats.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arno said:
Very good tip on packing in an Elise: put all your stuff in soft bags! This allows you to squeeze and push the things into all the corners of the luggage space and behind the seats.

Bye, Arno.
I travel a lot on business and I highly recommend the bags that allow you to put clothes in them and then they seal like a ziploc bag and you roll out the air through one way valves. They do an incredible job on shrinking fleece, sweaters, socks etc. I bet they will be very useful in the Elise :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zvezdah1 said:
Just back from LA Show,
New top rolls up to about a 4-5"diam roll approx.

Stow it in the trunk.
Chris
Great! The picture of the Silver Elise showed a HUGE roll that concerned me. Your estimation makes me think it is not much bulkier than the standard top (which I have looked at rolled up in a 111S).

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Arno said:
Officially the rolled-up roof fits on the 'shelf' behind the seats.

Never managed it on my car though :D

And I suspect that the 'padded' softtop rolls up to a larger package.

Still.. The luggage area is deceptively large. It's reasonably deep and extends to the sides of the car.

Never found much problems with putting the top in the back and a lot of other stuff.

Very good tip on packing in an Elise: put all your stuff in soft bags! This allows you to squeeze and push the things into all the corners of the luggage space and behind the seats.

Bye, Arno.
Think it would be possible to fit a 16" donut-spare,
either inflated or uninflated, in trunk?
-ridgemanron-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
I agree that the trunk is deceptively large. If you look at just the opening, it doesn't seem very big. But if you look rearward toward the brake lights, you'll see that there's much more room all the way back to the taillights and towards the sides (as Arno stated).

I think a space saver 16" spare tire might fit. I am a little concerned about not having a spare also, but I've decided that it might be easier to hide $250 in the trunk, add a can of "Fix-a-Flat", and leave a cell-phone charger in the Elise. That way if I do have a flat that the "Fix-a-Flat" won't cure, I can call AAA and buy a new tire.

Bob K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
For grins,

I actually rolled up the touring type soft top from the silver car, walked over to the blue car which had the trunk open and put it in. The rolled up soft top fits in the trunk very easily. And if you shove it all the way rearward, it disapears under the rear opening completly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
rtking said:
I think a space saver 16" spare tire might fit.
It would get very tight and you have to take care not to put too much pressure on the clam from the inside out as this will crack the paint and top layer of the fiberglass.

The S2 clams are still fiberglass, but they are produced in France using an industrial style production process with stainless steel moulds and high pressure resin injection.

As such they are much thinner/lighter than the S1/Exige clams which were mostly hand-laid and also have little to no gel-coat.

This thinness/lightness does mean that they can be a little more fragile when it comes to pressure on the panels themselves, but the lack of a normal gel-coat on the fiberglass means that 'spiderweb' cracks in the gelcoat around damaged areas is almost not present.

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,063 Posts
Not to mention: where do you store the wheel/tire with the puncture once you get it off?? (which, of course, is all dirty, muddy and covered in brake dust...)

There's no hope in getting one of the rear tires in there!

Bye, Arno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
Arno said:
Not to mention: where do you store the wheel/tire with the puncture once you get it off?? (which, of course, is all dirty, muddy and covered in brake dust...)

There's no hope in getting one of the rear tires in there!

Bye, Arno.
Good point!
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
I tried placing the rolled up touring top behind the seats. Not really possible unless you can drive the car with the driver seat pulled forward. Those of you who are over 5'4" are not going to be able to pull this off.

The shelf behind the seat will accomodate some small bags.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top