The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to getting a diesel passenger car in the states that dont allow them (NY & CA) I believe...:shrug:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You have to buy one used. Some dealers bring in (previously sold) low mile units to put on the lot.

·
Banned
874 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Used diesel cars and SUVs can be brought into California and sold and registered if they have at least 7,500 miles on their odometers.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought a 03 Dodge Ram diesel over the winter. Registered as a passenger vehicle, not a "commercial vehicle".
You can do the used thing,

·
Registered
140 Posts
Used diesel cars and SUVs can be brought into California and sold and registered if they have at least 7,500 miles on their odometers.
You should be able to bring in a used passenger diesel vehicle as long as it has 7,500 miles on it's odometer. No it doesn't have to be 10 years+ old. I think it is the same for NY as for CA. You can actually buy a new diesel passenger car that's not 50 state legal, but just have it registered in another state (hopefully you have family or a friend with an out of state address you can use). Let them drive it to 7,500 and then you should be able to register it in NY. Or drive it yourself in NY with out of state tags (kind of sketchy).

Which diesel are you thinking about getting? I thought VW, Acura and Mercedes were coming out with 50 state legal diesels within the next year... diesel power!!!

good luck,
larez2

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
My mom wants an AWD good mpg car, so Merc, BMW?
I don't know about NY, but currently diesel is more expensive than gas in CA. It's $4.99+/gal here. And new diesel passenger cars aren't sold in CA because they do not pass the emissions here which means they pollute more. So, what would the advantage of getting a diesel be? I'm just wondering, not preaching as I could careless. We have a diesel truck and only drive it when necessary due to the fuel costs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not sure about New York, but there is a sneaky way to get a Diesel in CA. Basically there is an examption for buying a non CARB vehicle new and bringing it back.

You need to drive a car in your name over to the State you wish to purchase in. Then the car meets with an unfortunete end, either a major mechanical or collision problem that the repairs would exceed the value of the car. You are allowed to then buy a non CARB car, and bring it home and register it in CA. You need a letter from a mechainic/body shop showing the car in not economically repairable, but my guess is the dealer could find plenty wrong with whatever wreck you bring over. The idea being if your car is wrecked you need to be able to replace it.

Time to buy a $250.00 car! :evil:

I'd check to see what the restrictions are first, but I came close to doing this to get a vehicle once.

·
Banned
874 Posts

·
Banned
874 Posts
I don't know about NY, but currently diesel is more expensive than gas in CA. It's $4.99+/gal here. And new diesel passenger cars aren't sold in CA because they do not pass the emissions here which means they pollute more. So, what would the advantage of getting a diesel be? I'm just wondering, not preaching as I could careless. We have a diesel truck and only drive it when necessary due to the fuel costs.
Diesel lasts twice as long and the engine it uses also lasts longer. Unless diesel was moe than 2x the price of a gallon of gas it's pretty much worth it.

·
Banned
874 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
My mom wants an AWD good mpg car, so Merc, BMW?
My daily driver is a 2007 VW Golf 2.0 TDI 4Motion. It's AWD, fuel-efficient, and has a decent set of comfort features. I'm not sure if they sell these in the US (it's called a Rabbit there, right?) but it's one of the best "normal" cars I've owned for the money.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diesels get 15-20% better MPG. There is more energy in diesel fuel than gas. Thats why I'm asking.

The fact that you registered the diesel pickup as a pass. vehicle in NY doesnt matter. Its a commercial vehicle which means it has a VIN # that shows as legal in all state records. People need diesel trucks like yours for work. People dont need diesel cars and they put out more emissions so they are illegal in the 2 crapiest states in the country.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Just got 58 ( yeah FIFTY EIGHT ) miles/gal with my Golf TDI last week on a trip. Pretty crappy around town tho.... I only get around 48-50. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts