The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just washed my car and noticed a few cracks here and there.. none more than an inch or so but I’m wondering if this is just a common Elise thing or something to worry about.

example pic attached
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
1,208 Posts
From my understanding they are pretty common. These cars are fragile and have been around for a while. I found a few very small ones on mine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The body is wafer-thin, but I can't see how cracks could form in that location my themselves. Any chance you live in a college town where bimbos sit on the clam and take selfies when it's parked?

·
2006 Exige
1,303 Posts
The body is wafer-thin, but I can't see how cracks could form in that location my themselves. Any chance you live in a college town where bimbos sit on the clam and take selfies when it's parked?
This reminds me of when I was in college, I went to my car (not a Lotus) one day and saw footprints running up the front, over the roof, onto the wing and off the car. Luckily no damage, but that made me mad. I know people sit on cars too for pictures or whatever. The Elise is one car I would not want anyone putting their weight on. Evenly distributed though, as the downforce is, the body can take it.

So yeah, my vote is that something caused that minor damage on your front clam. It is hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like at the end of the crack there is a small piece missing as well. ?? Maybe it got bumped when it was off of the car or even damaged when removing/installing it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Lotus didn’t use much or any fibres, mainly resin. Hence why linear cracks rather than glassfibre stresscracks.
Lotus went to injection molding from hand layup/chop strand with the Elise. You will notice body panels are uniform on the inside, not thicker or thinner. Consistent.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
1,163 Posts
Just washed my car and noticed a few cracks here and there.. none more than an inch or so but I’m wondering if this is just a common Elise thing or something to worry about.

example pic attached View attachment 1302425
No cracks are not common.They will happen if you bump something or back into something.Any time you bend fiberglass to far it will crack. I can tell you my year car has very strong clams and body panels. I have had my clams off and they have sufficient mat in them.We don’t have bumpers so if the guy before you so much as bumped something at 1mph it will do damage.There is no easy fix so just enjoy your car.Pretty cool color by the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.