The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Motoman's website regarding this subject and hearing many others opinions(from ET) on this subject, I am of the opinion that an easy break-in might not be the best answer. I for one would like to see my car with less than 10 miles on it at pickup so I can break in the engine properly(ie-the way I want to). This guy states that the first 20 miles on the engine is the most important and that in order to get a good seal on the rings, you should run it hard from the get go. Now I realize this is a very controversial area so many will have differing oprinions Im sure. I bet our cars get run pretty hard before they even make it to the US at the factory.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
We broke our first car in very conservatively. I think the second one we'll be a little more agressive with. Not saying we'll rag it out and go against Lotus rules....just be a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
There are lots of differing opinions about break-in, but I doubt anyone's willing to back their opinions up with cash if I have engine problems in the future.

So, the only opinion that really counts is the Lotus' via the manual.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you read carefully the car's manual, you'll see that you've got a certain degree of freedom regarding the engine's break-in. However, keep in mind, that you're spied by the car's own ECU :), and all your bad and good habits regarding driving during break-in period, will be dumped on a sheet of paper by Lotus OMD II Scanner .

It's up to you as always to select the correct break-in way that can be in-line with the car's warranty...

just my 2 cents,

Theo

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I hit redline many times, spent 17 seconds above 7500 RPM, and was in V V at least 20 times in the 1st 1000 miles. Not a problem with Lotus. No standing starts, which is a concern, and I spent my time in the cams accelerating, I did not cruise above 4K. My engine seems strong.

I think you can let 'er rip a little, just use some common sense. Heck, except for autoXing, I really haven't changed the way I drive it even now. I want the car to last forever, no point in tearing it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts