The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did the Stan's and Reinforcer mods, for my ability, I rated the difficulty level as 3. Trying to decide if I should just have a shop do it, expected labor cost to be about $400-$500.

For reference, I installed headers and electric cutouts on a 2002 Z06 by myself in the garage many years ago.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
The Letsa is not difficult but it is a bit tedious. The additional work to do the cables would not be much

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
Thanks!
I'll check them out.
Do you recommend that I change the cables as well? Will that increase to the difficulty level?
There's alot more disassembly to replace the cables. You have to remove them from the shifter mechanism and get under the car to reroute, which is a bit tedious but not hard. If your cables aren't damaged, you might want to decide if you want to do it now or wait. But the new cables are much higher quality and avoid the eventual wear that the original cables will experience.

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
At 50K miles when I replaced cables with SCC cables the difference was very noticeable as was the wear on the old cables. You can see the elongation of the pivot hole in this photo.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
You need to remove the cables from the trans end to do the Letsa, by definition. You should remove the console to allow adjustment after.
So the only increase in complexity is fishing the new cables through.
Not nothing but not that difficult, although I did not bother

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My console has been off for a few days. No plan on putting it back on. I'm waiting to find one in the used section. I think I'm just gonna do the LETSLA for now.
Thanks,

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
As we do alot of transmission rebuilds, I have a couple comments on the LETSLA. Basically, great care must be taken that it is setup correctly such that the lever throws are right. Many, many times transmission issues were caused by incorrect setup. I am not bashing the product, it seems to be well-built, just that it needs to be installed carefully and diligently with lots of testing to make sure it is right. If you have a shifting issue and you just installed a LETSLA, it is the first place to look!

·
Less is Better
2,678 Posts
As we do alot of transmission rebuilds, I have a couple comments on the LETSLA. Basically, great care must be taken that it is setup correctly such that the lever throws are right. Many, many times transmission issues were caused by incorrect setup. I am not bashing the product, it seems to be well-built, just that it needs to be installed carefully and diligently with lots of testing to make sure it is right. If you have a shifting issue and you just installed a LETSLA, it is the first place to look!
Do you have any tips or suggestions?

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
Do you have any tips or suggestions?
Unfortunately, not really. Mostly, just verify that the cable throws in all the gears are sufficient and that the neutral position is respected and not reloaded one direction or the other. This can cause accelerated synchro and fork wear.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm reading some older threads and a few people recommended that the rear clam be removed. I'd prefer not having to do that. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just picked up my 2008 Elise SC from my local Lotus dealer. They installed the entire Ultimate ShiftR111 Package with cables and everything. They charged 4.5 hours and it was worth every penny. The installed seemed like it was very time consuming and challenging given my current tool collection and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
I just did the Stan's and Reinforcer mods, for my ability, I rated the difficulty level as 3. Trying to decide if I should just have a shop do it, expected labor cost to be about $400-$500.

For reference, I installed headers and electric cutouts on a 2002 Z06 by myself in the garage many years ago.
Thanks,
Mine was the first customer install of the LETSLA . 2007 Exige. Troy developed it for/on the 05 Elise I sold him. Drove to his house so he could install it. He told me I could install it, but I preferred he do it. He had a few challenges, especially in adjusting the thing.

At the end of the day, it's just’ unscrewing some things, then re-screwing others. There are some tight places and things you have to do by feel because you can’t see what you’re doing.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine was the first customer install of the LETSLA . 2007 Exige. Troy developed it for/on the 05 Elise I sold him. Drove to his house so he could install it. He told me I could install it, but I preferred he do it. He had a few challenges, especially in adjusting the thing.

At the end of the day, it's just’ unscrewing some things, then re-screwing others. There are some tight places and things you have to do by feel because you can’t see what you’re doing.
I like tinkering, so "unscrewing some things, then re-screwing others" is the fun part for me, but what I'm kinda worried about is the adjusting the cables part. Seems like it's a subjective thing, different people prefer the throw differently. I'm not sure if any damage to the trans will happen if I adjust the cables to my liking, but it's not the right way,...

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
157 Posts
I like tinkering, so "unscrewing some things, then re-screwing others" is the fun part for me, but what I'm kinda worried about is the adjusting the cables part. Seems like it's a subjective thing, different people prefer the throw differently. I'm not sure if any damage to the trans will happen if I adjust the cables to my liking, but it's not the right way,...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did mine years ago with no difficulty. Here is a golden hint. If you want to lift and remove the center console to adjust the cables at the front, you may not need to , but if you do then after removing the alloy handbrake sleeve the handbrake lever won’t lift high enough to remove the console. If you remove one rear tire and simply disconnect the cable at that end the the handbrake lever will lift to nearly vertical and it is easy to get the console out. I ran the LETSLA with stock cables for years and it was great. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
5 Posts
I installed the LETSLA on my 2005 Elise this weekend. The installation was straight forward using the install instructions and watching ‘me73’ videos. Thanks me73! This was an addition to my SHIFTR111+, SSC shifter cable and SSC gate cables that was installed last month. Well worth an upgrade from the stock shifter.
IMG_3300.jpeg

1 - 20 of 50 Posts