The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this belt off with the engine out of the car.....it was tight, and me being the impatient type took it off without unloading a tensioner. I bought the same size belt, routed it via the owners manual, and now there is a good 2 inches of slack. i tried turning the bolt on the tensioner per the manuals instructions but it does not budge. any advice on what i need to do?

TIA

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I would say that either your tensioner is broke or you have the wrong belt or you didnt get the belt run correctly on all the pulleys.

The tensioner is spring loaded, so there is no turning it up to 11

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say that either your tensioner is broke or you have the wrong belt or you didnt get the belt run correctly on all the pulleys.

The tensioner is spring loaded, so there is no turning it up to 11
The belt is exactly the same length as the one I took off. I measured them side by side.

May I ask what you mean by saying turn it up to 11? Also how would I know if this tensioner is broken? Do I need to loosen up the 17mm bolt just below the 19mm stationary bolt?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I routed the belt correctly. Anyone have a diagram of how the belt is supposed to be routed with a Katana kit?

Also should the tensioner be able to move up and down if not belt is on it? I tryed turning the stationary bolt clock wise, and it doesnt budge? How is it spring loaded? All I see is the little shock which is attached to the head and the block. I guess Im confused as to how this thing works..

HELP!!

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Give me a minute

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Here you go!

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go!

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I dont have it routed correctly. Now o n to my next question...My tensioner doesnt budge when trying to turn that dang stationary bolt. What may b e causing this?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I dont have it routed correctly. Now o n to my next question...My tensioner doesnt budge when trying to turn that dang stationary bolt. What may b e causing this?
It should move when you rotate clockwise. Remove the black shock. The tension arm should move back and forth if it's installed correctly. Maybe the shock is frozen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it fixed, the shock proved to be stuck. Took her off, put it in a vice, compressed it, and she gargled to life. The shock compresses now and the belt is now properly tensioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts