The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or at least make sure that it stops sitting on top of my car at night?

My Neighbours Cat has taken to sitting in the middle of the soft top. From his point of view it's soft and hammock like. From my point of view the soft top is covered in fur, and I'm worried about the top sagging.

Short of killing it (my wife would never forgive me) Any suggestions for keeping it off the car?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you could get one of those sprays that smell like something cats don't like.

You could also get a car cover which does not solve the problem but at least protects the car.

I vote for kill it and don't tell the wife ;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
check previous thread titled car covers and cats it had lots of ideas

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fur is hardly the thing to worry about.

Cats I have known that climb on cars leave foot prints on the paint/glass and if you're really unlucky, their claws can leave tiny scratches in the paint.

Build a garage?

Otherwise a thick outdoor cover is a good bet.

Best,
John

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Its not the cats fault. Its the owners fault.

Please by all means dont harm the cat. Can you try and find out who owns the cat? Go to them and let them know what their cat is doing and tell them that you are afraid you'll have to call animal control on the cat if they dont keep it in doors.

If you scare the cat away a few times chances are it wont come back unless its a really nice cat ( well adjusted to people) and is non plussed by yelling. A good soaking with the garden hose would be excellent too, wont harm the cat, and almost gaurantee it wont come back.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
How about waiting until you see it lying there, then hitting the panic button on your alarm?

ed

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I will tell you about my solution that I read about to keep my neighbors dog from takinga dump on my lawn. I sprinkled hot peppers on the boundary of my lawn, there are no health problems associated with this but it did teach the dog a lesson. Maybe something similiar for you?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
EdHahn said:
How about waiting until you see it lying there, then hitting the panic button on your alarm?

ed
I like this, but likely to wake up the appartment block. ( leave for work at 6am)

The owner of the cat is the next door neighbour. I'm not keen to make things unpleasant for her. After all, the garage is communual and she has access to the Elise.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Steve W said:
The owner of the cat is the next door neighbour. I'm not keen to make things unpleasant for her.
You mean you're not keen on making things unpleasant for yourself. Killing her cat (the topic of this thread) would make things significantly more unpleasant for her than addressing a real concern to her in a social manner.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This is what I did for my mom's car: I bought a Superweave material car cover. It's thin and a bit slippery and the cats don't like it. Apparently my NOAH car cover is fluffy and those cats LOVE just digging their claws into it and sitting on it.

I think Shinoo (Sector111) offers a car cover in the same material. I'd get that, put the aluminum foil (or something firm like cardboard) over your soft top. That should keep the cats from getting too comfy on the Elise.

Also... check your fenders. On my cars, the neighborhood cats loved sliding down the fenders and put long scratch marks into the paint. Unfortunately no amount of polishing ever got the scratch marks out. That's what prompted me to get car covers...

Bob

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I wouldnt make things unpleasant at all. I would be very friendly and just let her know. She may not know her cat is doing that and may be receptive. You could leave off any threats, just let her know whats going on.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts