The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,324 Posts
Cover the top surface of your car in 1/2" thick layer of Vaseline - works like a charm for cats, birds, koalas, kangaroos and elephants (or so I have been told) :D

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Just hope the cat doesn't find your top to be the ideal place to sharpen its claws. I would also hesitate to take any action that would scare the cat. A rapid take-off won't do your top any good. A panicked cat can do a lot of harm. A small squirt bottle or water pistol is often effective at discouraging a certain behavior, but probably best done with some protective material between the cat and the top.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had this same problem with my M3 when I lived in a condo with a covered carport (not a full garage). My car cover got abused (nearly shredded) by a cat ... and the car got muddied up quite a bit too. It was tough to keep the car clean because I couldn't put the car cover on immediately after parking because the car was hot. I'd wait 1/2 hour .. but it was often too late. The cat was waiting to pounce on the warm hood, epsecilally when it was raining. Then I got muddy paw prints all over.

My ultimate solution was to move to a place with a full garage. Sure, the cat made me spend an extra $300k. And now I don't have the M3 anymore either.

I'm also very allergic to cats --- so my hatred of those nasty creatures runs deep at many levels.

·
Registered
806 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Its not the cats fault. Its the owners fault.

Please by all means dont harm the cat. Can you try and find out who owns the cat? Go to them and let them know what their cat is doing and tell them that you are afraid you'll have to call animal control on the cat if they dont keep it in doors.

If you scare the cat away a few times chances are it wont come back unless its a really nice cat ( well adjusted to people) and is non plussed by yelling. A good soaking with the garden hose would be excellent too, wont harm the cat, and almost gaurantee it wont come back.
no, it is the cat's fault. but i concede that usually it is easier to reason with the owner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most apartment complexes and cities have policies regarding pets, usually requiring the pets to be on a leash. If politely discussing your problem with the cat's owner doesn't put an end to this, you should have the option of discussing it with property management.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
masheen said:
no, it is the cat's fault. but i concede that usually it is easier to reason with the owner.
Actually no, its the owners fault. Cats, as with other animals by LAW have to be kept indoors. Thats like saying that if I let my 2 year old run free in your house or best buy and it knocks a plasma TV over that its the kids fault. Its my fault for letting my kid run rampant because a two year old cant be held accountable. It doesnt understand.

Maybe the cat is looking for somewhere comfortable to lay down outside. It would probably rather be on the couch but it has to make due. My cats love to lay on towels and soft things like that too but mine are indoors where they should be.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
put something ontop of the car that isn't pleasant to lay on. Cut up some cardboard and glue it to a base (also cardboard) so that it sticks up. It's a pain, but it will keep the cat off without putting any smelly stuff on your car.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Its not the cats fault. Its the owners fault.

Please by all means dont harm the cat. Can you try and find out who owns the cat? Go to them and let them know what their cat is doing and tell them that you are afraid you'll have to call animal control on the cat if they dont keep it in doors.

If you scare the cat away a few times chances are it wont come back unless its a really nice cat ( well adjusted to people) and is non plussed by yelling. A good soaking with the garden hose would be excellent too, wont harm the cat, and almost gaurantee it wont come back.
If that doesn't work kill the owners.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The first day I brought home my 1974 Silver Shadow my kids cat (noticed I claimed no ownership) jumped up on the hood. I shrieked and said the appropriate expletives. The cat left a long trail of 3 parallel scratches down the hood.

My solution was getting the cat declawed and build a garage. That was actually choice B.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Humane Way

Aquatic Animal Deterrent
Item #14559
$79.00

The humane, environmentally responsible way to protect your yard. Scarecrow's Motion-Activated Sprinkler Deterrent System works and is easy to use, according to a consumer advocacy publication that recently tested it. Staked into the ground, it protects up to 1,000 square feet 24 hours a day. Uses only water from your garden hose and a battery (runs for two months on one 9V battery, not included). Motion and heat detectors sense an intruder up to 35' away, and a 3-second jet of water is sprayed toward it. The startled animal promptly leaves, and your garden is spared. Sprinkler rotation range adjusts from 10° to 360°

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Here cats are an issue, too. Back in Colorado they were not. I lived on the south part of the city, and any cats left out at night could be heard screaming while being eaten by either a Coyote or a Mountain Lion. Cats almost never made it through a night left out, and either fate was acceptable to me.

Now small dogs got eaten too, and that's just wrong (except for yippers).

We need some predators in PA!!!:D

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I find a good blow to the head with a blunt object works well on cats, rabbits, etc. I'm kidding!

My neighbors cat scratched the hood of our new jet black Z4 a few months ago so I understand the dilema. I like to release the dog on the cats, they never catch them but its fun to watch. I got revenge when he dropped a big load in their front yard. Their dog apparently is really smart. It somehow knew this was pet warfare and returned the favor the very next morning on my lawn.

I've come to like only my own pets. When my dog barks it doesn't really bother me, but when the neighbors dog barks it drives me insane!!! Is that wrong of me? :D

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
LOL. this is all good advice. I've just discovered that a black cat has been chillin' on my civic's sunroof. But i've just moved so it's cool. However, i saw a cat today at my new place scratchin the hell out of its back using a post near my parking spot. The action continues...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: Re: Humane Way

EdHahn said:
Anyone know if that works on people? I have pesky kids in my neighborhood that have egged our house...
Ed, I find the aforementioned blow to the head with a blunt object works well on pesky kids, too...

As far as the cat goes, I agree with a couple of the above posts: have a polite word with the owner mentioning that you're concerned about stretching/damaging the fabric roof, and if that doesn't work, go with the aluminum foil. Just remember to secure it so that the cat cannot simply knock it out of the way.

Jim

21 - 40 of 84 Posts