The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seriously, we wanted to keep our cats off of some of our furniture for the same reasons that you want to keep them off your car. My wife bought vibration-sensitive cat alarms called "Tattle Tale" that sit on the furniture and let out an ear-piercing tone with the slightest vibration. It came out of some catalogue, but pet stores may have it.

Just turn on the switch and put it on top of your car or on the hood. Toss your cat onto the car so that the alarm goes off and the sound will scare it away. Do that about three times, and you are done. If the cat tries to get on the car again it will be frightening and unpleasant. We have no more problems with our cats and our furniture.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's audible to EVERYONE!. It is a very loud, piercing tone, but it doesn't last very long (only avout 3 seconds). The alarm has two vibration sensitivity settings. It really works.

My wife ordered it through the in-flight "SKYMALL" magazine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have used this product to train my own cats, and it seemed to work fairly well: http://www.epets.com/catscram.html I attached two suction cups to the bottom of the CatScram so I could stick it onto the cars surface.

I have also used a ScatMat: http://www.safepets.com/petmat.html which sends the equivalent of a static electricity shock to the paws. This might work better on a soft top, but I'm not sure it would survive getting wet.

John

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'm trying the silver foil technique at the moment (it makes the elise look like it's trying to stop aliens reading its mind)

If that doesn't work I'll buy a scat mat.

I love the picture above. Some cats are really brave and stupid.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
NO WAY!!! LOL! I can't believe the balls on some cats.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Four bucks a pound??? That's a bit high isn't it?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
And a two pound cat? One of mine weighs 9, one weighs 12. And the nine pound cat looks almost sickly.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Lame.

Take the time to learn about cats and try to understand their behavior. Your attitude might change.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
So... anyway, to get the thread back on track... to kill a cat, poison is discreet, traps require less effort, but a high power rifle is much more sporting.

Ok, ok... only kidding. My GF has two cats, both of which are too fat to jump on anything, and they stay in the house anyways. i agree with Jenn, though... any animal out stray is the fault of the owner.

Take photos of the cat, especially if you can catch it in the act, and get photos of any damage the cat causes... CYA, just in case they do try to deny responsibility.

Cade

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Steve W said:
For the record 3 strips of foil appear to have kept the cat off the car for the last few days.
Was that foil used to cover the car while baking in the oven?

Sorry, the devil made me type this:evil: :evil:

As for getting to like cats, as posted in another thread, my wife is deathly allergic to cats (she been hospitalized a couple of times for it), so cats are not welcome around my house. We currently have a bit of a problem with some strays that live in the storm gutters, and like to hang around our front porch (in spite of our two dogs). I don't think my attitude is going to change...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
cover the car and atop the cover place sheets of stuff like fly paper. a cat will definiitely not want to be on sticky surfaces. after it learns not to climb up you can go back to normal life with no fly paper. otherwise shoot the fvcker

actually there is an item sold by pet supply places called scat mat or some such thing. a 9v battery provides a tingling shock through a grid of wires. it deters irish wolfhounds and cats quite well. plastic sheet almost the size of an elise top. worked quite well for me to deter some cats.

yeah, here it is...

http://www.petsafe.net/behavior_training/scat_mat.htm

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,325 Posts
"NMRJock And a two pound cat? One of mine weighs 9, one weighs 12. And the nine pound cat looks almost sickly."

Here's one that makes a 9 pounder look like a kitten - it'd leave dents in the hood LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Cats are not indeginous to north america, any one found free outdoors is feral, and subject to local predators such as angry car owners with a .22 rifle.....

But i hope an american SUV doesn't adopt that attitude with my little british import :)

41 - 60 of 84 Posts