The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
purveyor of lightness
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... here's the deal.

Three years ago I was on track, bracing myself against the dead pedal going into a left-hand sweeper when suddenly my dead pedal decided to unglue itself from the chassis (and started flopping around my feet which was rather scary).

Anyway I've been driving around ever since without one... and have recently thought that it would be a good idea to reattach it.

I don't want to order a tube of the very expensive betaseal from Lotus just for this small piece of metal so I'm wondering if it would stay put if I used some JB Weld (or something else) and a couple large dead rivets...

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I think 3 or 4 rivets should hold it.
I'd try just the epoxy (clean both surfaces very, very well just before applying it) rather than drilling holes and using pop rivets. The aluminum of the chassis is very thin and may not be strong enough to just use pop rivets. Of course if the epoxy alone fails, then you could re-do it and add the pop rivets later... :shrug:

I know that most people swear by JB Weld, but I've never had that much success with it - but "gluing" a flat piece of aluminum to another flat piece of aluminum shouldn't be too hard to do....

·
purveyor of lightness
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that most people swear by JB Weld, but I've never had that much success with it - but "gluing" a flat piece of aluminum to another flat piece of aluminum shouldn't be too hard to do....
I just know that I press VERY hard when bracing myself / braking and really don't want a relapse :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts