The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they put the inputshaft seal on the inside of the gearbox to make life harder. It wasnt leaking but thought id do it anyway.

Generally I can work this stuff out but im having trouble. I can get it about an inch split but wont go any further.

Theres a massive cap on the back that I havnt removed (needs about a 1 inch hex). Everything else ive removed.

Anyone got any tips/photos

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You have to remove that cap and take out the two rings holding the upper bearings in place. I did it with a big pipe wrench.

·
Illegal Alien
4,987 Posts
So they put the inputshaft seal on the inside of the gearbox to make life harder. It wasnt leaking but thought id do it anyway.

Generally I can work this stuff out but im having trouble. I can get it about an inch split but wont go any further.

Theres a massive cap on the back that I havnt removed (needs about a 1 inch hex). Everything else ive removed.

Anyone got any tips/photos
Why fix what ain't broke when the work can have greater implications.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I wasn’t 100% sure it wasn’t leaking. It was wet on the gearbox side but was more like a film of grease than oil. The clutch has got so hot that the throw out bearing has flung grease everywhere.

I wasn’t going to put everything back together without replacing all the lip seals on gearbox and engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts