The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the following pic, I need to the blue piece to be pretty derned straight (it was bent in shipping). it's pretty strong &, if possible, I'd rather not scratch the metal. any tips or tricks to getting this done other than taking a set of vice grips to it?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've had good luck straighting things like this using my 12-ton press in my garage - basically pressing in the right place while propping the piece up on blocks of wood.

First, remove the plate from the equipment. If you don't have a press, I would clamp the end in a vise after wrapping the end with a rag (or rubber pads if you have them). Then slowly pull in the direction necessary to straighten it. Work your way from the most bent end to the least bent part, by slowly applying pressure. You have to move where you are clamping and where you are grabbing the metal to straighten it - Don't pull one one end with the other end clamped, because you will just get a big bend in the middle going the other way...

Grabbing it with vise grips would be my last resort if you want to preserve the paint finish.

Shouldn't it be covered by the shipping insurance?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
If you're speaking of the bent corner, use your vise, put duct tape on the jaws of the vise then close the jaws on the bent area until flat, it's probably going to damage the paint, ie chip when you return it to it's original shape.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Remove it from the unit first!

I like use a large vice as a pressing tool and use plastic jaw covers to protect the paint.

·
Registered
758 Posts
BrianK said:
In the following pic, I need to the blue piece to be pretty derned straight (it was bent in shipping). it's pretty strong &, if possible, I'd rather not scratch the metal. any tips or tricks to getting this done other than taking a set of vice grips to it?

Stick a 'Fragile' label on it, and ship it with FedEx :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Is that glue coming off the back, or are you pulling LED sheaths or light pipes?

The AMT8 has like 19 LEDs on the front panel, so some caution is in order.

Any chance you could get the seller/shipper to replace it? You probably won't get a perfect result no matter how you repair it.

I wonder if you could take it to an auto body shop for a quote. They do things like unbend metal and matching repaint all the time..

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ground Loop said:
Is that glue coming off the back, or are you pulling LED sheaths or light pipes?
LED sheaths... and good eye on the AMT8. ;)

thanks for the info, guys. I'll give'er a go. I'll probably give UPS a call too. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts