The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title how do HPD and state troopers treat you, when driving your lotus? The reason for the question was when I owned my gtr I would be pulled over just looking like I was speeding, how are you guys being treated ? Any interesting stories ( the good, the bad or the ugly)?

Lotus noob

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
No trouble on my end... Have had them follow me for a few miles and chat with me at intersections about the care but nothing intrusive/aggressive. Maybe I have just been lucky so far!

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
They tend to look down on them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
198 Posts
You're in Houston, go.lotus is in the DFW area. I live in DFW (don't have a lotus) and visit family in Houston often. My experience in general Houston cops tend to be more jerks than DFW area cops. Every time i've had a run in with one they've had an ego and huge attitude issue. DFW cops seem far more laid back, and in DFW area Dallas cops are pricks more often than compared to anywhere else in the DFW Metroplex.

At the same time, If you aren't from Texas and get a job in text you are moving to Austin, Houston, or Dallas. So they have to deal with everyone and their attitudes and driving habits from everywhere else so maybe they just have to put up with more?.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You're in Houston, go.lotus is in the DFW area. I live in DFW (don't have a lotus) and visit family in Houston often. My experience in general Houston cops tend to be more jerks than DFW area cops. Every time i've had a run in with one they've had an ego and huge attitude issue. DFW cops seem far more laid back, and in DFW area Dallas cops are pricks more often than compared to anywhere else in the DFW Metroplex.

At the same time, If you aren't from Texas and get a job in text you are moving to Austin, Houston, or Dallas. So they have to deal with everyone and their attitudes and driving habits from everywhere else so maybe they just have to put up with more?.
You obviously don't drive through Plano very often... Those Plano SUV guys are ridiculous.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A Lotus Elise is Trooper bait on Texas Highways. I have stopped driving mine to track days. I use an enclosed trailer now. Last ticket I got was a total joke. Do I sound a little bitter?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
How do Texas cops view your car?
With a telescope, I don't drive within 300 miles of Texas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've seen them taking interest on occassion, but haven't had any trouble thus far (almost 3 years of ownership).

The police in DFW can be laid back, but they can also set multiple speed traps within a 20 mile radius, pull you over for going 5 mph over the limit, and follow you around for miles without cause. I suppose the same could be said for most metropolitan areas.

·
Registered
841 Posts
In my experience, if I'm not giving the appearance that I am speeding, I don't get pulled over regardless of how interested the motorcycle or trooper following me seems to be with my vehicle.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
5 or 6 years ago they didnt much like them...kinda used to them by now. However there is a DPS trooper on Hy183 north Austin area has ticketed me three times for no front license plate...always the same guy.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So far they have been nicer than expected. I saw one clock me, when I could have sworn I was 10 over on a side road, he did not follow.

Another time, I was filling up after a spirited drive on 1431 near Austin. There were 4-5 of them at the rest stop (thats why the highway was clear ;-) and one came out and said they were taking bets on what kind of car it was. He had guessed Lotus -- but then asked me if it had a V12 in it!

In general, I find that people are much nicer than the experience I have had in a Porsche or a BMW, where folks go out of their way to cut you off or not let you by.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
its kindof a sore subject :(

I have been pulled over for a few DWY (driving while yellow) in the elise and afew DWW (driving with wings) in the Exige.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got stopped north of Amarillo near Dumas and the trooper first asked in a stern voice, "Is this your car?!" then asked what speed I was going, I replied that I was operating with the flow of traffic and asked what speed I was clocked. It was for 5mph over and he gave me a written warning then followed me for about 10 miles.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've only been pulled over twice, both for "improper plate placement" aka. my plate in the windsheild during trips out of town. Got warnings both times.
I KNOW I have been clocked over the speed limit several times, but I live in podank hillbilly lubbock and I'm sure the law enforcemnt think I'm someone important

·
Registered
657 Posts
Got ticketed twice in Austin....Once for going 38.5 MPH in a 35 MPH zone and once for going 34 MPH in a 30 MPH zone. Says it all for me!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts