The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
There should be two bolts at the pivot points on each side of the pod or one long bolt that is accesed through the bonnet side. Also need to disconnect the rod from the motor and it should come right out.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In true Lotus fashion, nothing is simple, and everything has more than one purpose. The hinge for the front bonnet is threaded, and two bolts pass through the headlight buckets into the bonnet hinge. On the outer sides of the buckets, a nut and bolt pass through the bucket and a pair of ball joints. It sounds simple, until you try to put it back together with all of the washers that are used in between all the parts. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Pod Removal & Bonnet Support...

The inboard bolt passes through the bearing plate towards the centerline of the car and is threaded to the rod which supports the whole bonnet (a sort of hinge or pivot). On the outboard side the pod bolt is accessed (with difficulty) from the inside of the front "fender". It may be easier to manage the whole removal process if you remove the bonnet (the fiberglass "lid") from it's support/pivot bar. That is only four bolts (don't lose the shims!) and it will relieve most of the weight on the bar and make unbolting and re-bolting the pod back to the body much easier, especially if you are working alone.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually just needed to remove, lube, and tighten a few things and the headlights sit firm again. I found after the first one that I did not actually need to remove the buckets, although I started to. I was able to reach the underside adjusting rod point by just lifting up on the bucket.

I was working alone and soon found that the hood is hinged at the same point as these buckets are, luckily I did not scratch anything as the hood sorta fell into my finish on the nose area when it was in the up position when I did the first one, but not real hard. I never would of guessed thats how the hood or "bonnet" is attached to the car.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
There are washers between all of the parts. They are more accurately called shims because you have to use various #'s of them and thicknesses to take up any play and keep things from moving around. When you take it apart you need to account for which ones go where but when you reassemble you may have to adjust anyway. Try to split the adjustment equally on both sides of each headlight pod, ie, don't put all of the shims on 1 side. Do not overtighten the bolt or things will not move freely.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts