The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a valve adjustment. Exhausts were between 0.41-0.45mm which is within the the 0.35-0.45mm spec so I didn't touch them. Intakes were between 0.07-0.14mm and the specs are 0.15-0.25mm so I adjusted them to 0.21-0.23mm. I'm wonder how the cams look because I can see some of wide lobes seem to not have any wear on them and are dark, while all the small lobes are all shiny. Or is that just because the small ones ride on the rollers?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just finished a valve adjustment. Exhausts were between 0.41-0.45mm which is within the the 0.35-0.45mm spec so I didn't touch them. Intakes were between 0.07-0.14mm and the specs are 0.15-0.25mm so I adjusted them to 0.21-0.23mm. I'm wonder how the cams look because I can see some of wide lobes seem to not have any wear on them and are dark, while all the small lobes are all shiny. Or is that just because the small ones ride on the rollers?

Unless there's grooves worn into the lobes, it's all good G....

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
The big lobes will usually look kind of worn even at low miles but you'll usually find they feel completely smooth. If you can feel a ridge between the worn section and the non-worn section with your fingernail then the cam has started wearing abnormally and that cam and its rockers need to be replaced. It's usually only the intake cam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts