The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check my cams for damage, but am not to mechicaly savy.
Does someone have a step by step of what and how to remove whatever I need to take off to look at the cams?

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Simply pull the coil packs out
Remove injector cover
Zip out the 10 or so 10mm head (m6) bolts that go around the valve cover
Remove both breather lines (drivers side)
Remove both 10mm nuts (m6) that attach the oil drain hose to the cover (passenger side).
Lift up the cover pulling the drivers side straight up. That's important! Then pull the cover to the rear so that studs going to the oil drain clear the drain flange.

Michael

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
great thanks! Do I also have to remove the four black plugs pictured in the bottom of my picture? Do I just remove the four bolts on those too? Thanks!

the coil packs are the 4 large "plugs" in the center of the valve cover. they have 1 bolt each and you just lift them straight out.

you do NOT need to remove the bolts that are circled at the top of the picture that was posted.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the coil packs are the 4 large "plugs" in the center of the valve cover. they have 1 bolt each and you just lift them straight out.

you do NOT need to remove the bolts that are circled at the top of the picture that was posted.
so the bolts circled in green in the pic below are the ones i need to remove?
And I dont need to remove the plugs/bolts at the top of the original picture posted in the large picture above

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Correct

·
Registered
179 Posts
sent you a PM with my phone number, call me if you need any help

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I have a lot of trouble seeing the scored lobes in these pictures, even on the ones that are known to be bad, I think b/c of a crappy monitor.

Gently run your fingernail across the lobe and see if it is smooth. I don't see any scoring but again my monitor is not the best.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i couldnt feel any scratches when i ran my nail across them.
the only problem seemed to be the finish was coming off and they looked like a matte have in the spots where it wasnt shiny

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
i couldnt feel any scratches when i ran my nail across them.
the only problem seemed to be the finish was coming off and they looked like a matte have in the spots where it wasnt shiny
The cam lobes in your photo look fine. The matte gray finish is the original finish on the lobes when the cam is brand new and as the lobes bed into the followers they either become shiny or scored. Shiny is good, scored is not.

Did you rotate the crankshaft to check the rest of the lobes that are turned away from view in the photo?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts