The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lotus owners, I just got my 09 Lotus Exige but i am having a hard time when i am driving in reverse. I couldn't see anything other than the intercooler when i turn my head back. :shrug: The salesman told me the only way is by looking at the side mirrors. So can you guys share some experiences or ways on how to drive it in reverse? :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Drive it really really carefully. You'll have to use the sidemirrors since the center one is as useless as a box of hair.

There are also some solutions in the aftermarket to add a rear view camera. They cost less than a rear clam, so IMO they're worth it.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I don't have an intercooler blocking my view.. but +1 to the camera, that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I heard using multivex mirrors help. I'm going to get some. I just back up VERY SLOWLY....

·
Registered
605 Posts
So can you guys share some experiences or ways on how to drive it in reverse? :D
I also had a tough time with this until one simple thought came to mind: If a high-school kid with just a few years of driving experience can backup a big, giant delivery van with no rear windows while making minimum wage, I can surely drive this little car in reverse too.

With this thought, I just-figured-it-out. You can too. Go slow at first, get to know your car's boundaries, perhaps get some convex mirrors (Although indulgent, I like the Craftsquare CF Side Mirrors; I had the Multivex Mirrors which were almost as visually wide as the Craftsquares). I also find that it helps to not sit in the car too long between scoping out the back (before getting in the car) and backing out.

Except for people who drive around small children and other small moving things, I really see no need for a rear camera.

Good luck.

(And to anyone who wishes to argue the concept of a kid in a delivery van, you're missing the point--it's just a trick to psych myself into doing something without trepidation... dude, don't burst the bubble. ;))

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, but i think i will get a reverse camera instead of risking the chance of scratching my car :) And its funny that they build the exige with a rear view mirror since we still cant see anything hahaha cheers...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
If you adjust the mirrors "inward" a bit more than usual, the right mirror will pick up where the left one leaves off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you adjust the mirrors "inward" a bit more than usual, the right mirror will pick up where the left one leaves off.

But then you have huge blind spots....and I don't know about you but I tend to drive forward more than backward, so covering those blind spots is my number 1 priority. Seeing things when going in reverse is 2nd.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I just back up VERY SLOWLY....
...this is especially important to remember: the exige's aero package generates over one hundred pounds of lift at high speeds in reverse, greatly compromising handling...

...i suggest keeping it below fourty if you're driving backwards...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Aps63wCaM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/R2Aps63wCaM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks everyone, but i think i will get a reverse camera instead of risking the chance of scratching my car :) And its funny that they build the exige with a rear view mirror since we still cant see anything hahaha cheers...
Don't rely much on b/up camera, since it gives you about 130 degrees viewing angle, so you still don't see anything coming from the side (I was almost hit twice when I thought it's all clear). IMO, the camera helps when used to see if there're any obstacles behind the car, but there's no substitute to turning you head from side to side and checking mirrors.

Edit: I installed my b/up camera screen where the mirror used to be

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have learned to optimize the use of the side mirrors. I also purposefully try to pull in areas that I can drive strait or forward out of. Heck, my new Exige doesn't even have a back window. But I suspect a cameras ability is going to be severely limited if it gets dirty (which the back of these cars tend to do), rain or anything else.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, MHO and all that.

I drove 70,000 + in a van with no rear window and no side windows for the last 4 or so feet of the van. Basically the same view as an Exige. At the beginning, I backed into a couple things, but learned how not to.

1) learn to visualize what is behind you in your head:

I can basically parallel park my car without even looking backwards. I verify the spot is empty going past it. Reverse and know how far from the curb I am by looking at the car in front of me, and know the length and width of my car and how far back the behind car is. Extrapolate what you know and learn to keep the situation clear in your head, if you know what is there, you don't have to actually see it.

When driving or reversing check that the area immediately behind you is clear, then pay close attention that nothing moves into that dead zone. If you know it is empty and nothing has entered, you are golden.

2) Drive backward as little as possible. When backing out of a spot, back up only until going forward will get you out. In the case of 45 degree parking and empty spots, this might be six inches. Never back up until you are facing straight in the direction of travel, you can almost always go straight ahead sooner.

3) Like Vishus_1 said, park so you are facing forward if at all possible, even if it means a short walk. It is just much easier.

take care,

gm

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a backup camera on mine. But as an old habit I always back into parking spaces. As a rule, most people pay the most attention to their driving when parking. Therefore if you spend the attention backing into a parking spot (that you know is empty), you don't have to spend the attention backing out of a parking spot into the isle (that you know probably has traffic coming down it).

This is also the reason alot of companies that have work vehicles require their employees to back into parking spots. In the oil industry this has another saftey advantage, if something goes wrong on a rig that might explode, the workers can get out of the area faster if they don't have to back out of their spots. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
glacialmoraine said:
1) learn to visualize what is behind you in your head:

I can basically parallel park my car without even looking backwards. I verify the spot is empty going past it. Reverse and know how far from the curb I am by looking at the car in front of me, and know the length and width of my car and how far back the behind car is. Extrapolate what you know and learn to keep the situation clear in your head, if you know what is there, you don't have to actually see it.

When driving or reversing check that the area immediately behind you is clear, then pay close attention that nothing moves into that dead zone. If you know it is empty and nothing has entered, you are golden.

2) Drive backward as little as possible. When backing out of a spot, back up only until going forward will get you out. In the case of 45 degree parking and empty spots, this might be six inches. Never back up until you are facing straight in the direction of travel, you can almost always go straight ahead sooner.
Both very real and useful driving tips. And yes, folks who have problems driving with their 2 mirrors on the Exige really need to learn about their cars instead of fitting more irrelevant stuff onto the car. The skills you learn from driving this car will no doubt translate to driving other cars in future.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Here is my 2 cents on a couple of things I just read...

I would HIGHLY not reccommend you ever parallel park an Exige. AVOID IT at all costs. You may have excellent skills to do so, but the other drivers flanking you may not --- and there is just too much potential for a minor (and I mean VERY MINOR) impact to become a major headache.

It also may not be good to back into spots (with the nose pointed out) for the same reason. The rear of an Exige sits much highter than the nose. Most cars, trucks and SUV's sit higher and can not easily see our cars in their mirrors most of the time as it is. The nose of the car just sits so low that it can be invisible to them - especially in congested parking spaces (where you can be flanked by two cars and not be seen until right up on).

Regardless of how mindful we are of our mirrors, everyone else may not and tend to rely on their rearview mirror. If your back end is pointed to the back end of other cars - then hopefully they will be more likely to see it because of its height than the front.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes, I wasn't advocating parallel parking the Exige/Elise. I have done it once or twice, and had no problem, but avoid it at all costs. Most of my blind parallel parking experience was in the van. The idea is a good illustration of how to visualize.

I would second vishus_1 and say not to back into parking spots. When you are backing into a spot with someone on your left and right, and whatever behind you, there are a lot of obstacles to contend with.

When you park face first then back out into the aisle when leaving, as long as there are no cars coming, you have a big empty space to back into. Its easy enough to verify no cars coming, even if you can't see around an adjacent car, you can always back up a little at a time until you can see pretty easily.

I've never tried backing in, it might be easier once I got the hang of it, it has just always seemed safer to me to do it the other way.

take care,

gm

·
Registered
543 Posts
all of the above plus:

(as my dad would say-) while backing up, stop when you hear glass...:cool:

t. a.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts