The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
choi0706 said:
yeah the higher you go in temp (k) the less you see of the road. I'd use 4300-6000k bulbs nothing over 6 cause it usally looks purplish 4300k is white and is what most lexus cars come with.
I believe bmws come with 5000k or something higher than 4300k.

also if you look at cars that come with HIDs they have a reflector inside to make sure the bulb doesnt go everywhere i dont know much about this but i know they are different from halogen housings. Also picking the right bulb size makes a difference also like D2S or D2R
BMW always uses 4100-4300K bulbs. Nobody uses 6000K bulbs from the factory. The light color is dependent on housing optics only. D2S/D2R has nothing to do with bulb size. D2R bulbs have a band across the bulb to cut off some of the light pattern cause these were menat for reflector housing units although most people just get d2S anyway. I have d2S 6000K ultinons on my MDX(reflector) and they work great and have never been flashed. I also had 6000K HID on E36M3 with euro ellipsoids. I had HID on E46 M3 but upgraded to 6000K bulbs just for looks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
xxxotic said:
What is the maximum wattage bulb that can safely be installed?

Most are 55/60, but I have 90/130 bulbs on my other car, and it is a huge improvement. But the plastic socket that the prongs on the bulb goes into started to melt so I replaced it with a heavier gauge but the glass still gets extremely hot.

Would the lenses cover melt since it is not made of glass or would a headlight relay of some type keep the temperature down if I installed tehm on the Elise? Would the bulbs be pulling too many amps and blow a fuse?

anything above 55-60 watts isnt safe IMO. HID only uses 35 watts and lasts 10X as long as regular bulbs. Other than cost, there are only positives IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry for not being here very often... I guess reading ALL forums is a bit too much if there's work to do.

As a coincidence I stubled over this thread and would like to add a couple of things re. the HID conversions.

First of all, the kits which we deliver at this moment are 6000K. We've tested the 7000K items but found out that they are too purple. 6000K is bright white light.

The comparison with the likes of a photographer isn't completely fair. (I happen to be quite a fanatic photographer and did some study into light temperatures.) 'white' for a photagrapher still has a yellow-ish glow in it..

At the end, it's all down to the human experience of the colour. 6000K white is very 'friendly for the eyes'. From personal experience (I've swapped several colour temps in my Elise) I can tell you that 6000K produces less stress while staring in the dark then anything below 6000K.

As for the replacement of the Halogen bulbs for HID's, there's quite some BS spread over the web by people who seem to know what they're talking about. When doing some research on these statements, you'll find out that these people DO have a commercial interest and DO twist the truth.

The truth is very simple. If you buy a car with HID's on it, the system will have slightly different optics, an automatic leveler and a headlamp washing installation.
The Elise simply doesn't have all of that and... the above kit isn't available for the Elise...

Breaking these parts down, the different optics are there for two reasons. First reason is simple. A D2S fillament has a different radiation pattern, the actual 'bulb' is in another place then any standard Hx fillament, so you definately need another optical system. Second reason is the quality of the optics. Looking at HID, a fillament produces up to 3.5x more light then the standard Halogen fillament. Some imperfections in the optics will be visible using HID where they won't be while using Halogen. This is simply becuase there's more light power (lumens) which makes it more visible.

The automatic leveler is introduced because the very first HID system were ouright bad focussed systems. The light patterns were quite bad and when a car hit a bump, it was lighting the complete area. Government demanded the auto leveler to prevent blinding people. (I still have my doubts as the system isn't fast enough and the angles it can operate in aren't big enough, so you can still blind someone with your factory HID setup..)

The last one is a laugh. As there's up to 3.5x light output, a washing installation was demanded for the exterior lenses. Now.. I don't know if any of you had a car with such a system, but I can tell you from experience that spraying water under quite some pressure does NOT remove the dirt. You need to wash the car to clean the lenses.

But hey.. here in Europe, you've got to obey the rules.. :) or? NOT QUITE! :D These rules are for NEW cars. Retrofitting HID is not illegal, at least not here in Holland! The only thing you've got to keep in mind is the radiation pattern of the headlamps. At the end, what you're installing in your car is a brighter bulb.. that's it!
Ofcourse, this can be different from one country to the other, but normally, if you don't blind people, nobody will bother..

One big advantage of the Elise is height of the car. People won't get annoyed by HID lights as the lights as rather low, so you won't be blinding anyone.

As for the power consumption. HID's consume LESS power then Halogen lamps. Installing higher power Halogens might get you into problems. I've not seen the wiring of any US spec Elise, but while looking at the cars outhere I saw wires which I don't even want to use for speakers! Drawing more current through these wires might be pretty tricky as you might melt them at the end..

If you have any questions.. please don't hesitate to ask, or better.. drop me a line on [email protected] I'm not always visiting Elisetalk, so you might be better off sending me an E-mail..

·
Registered
653 Posts
I bought HID kits for both the low and high beams and have removed them. I bought quality kits with hella ballasts both H1 and H7 bulbs.

The install was simple.

However...
Although the bulbs were very bright the effective light was only slightly better than stock.

I replaced the HID ligths with Silverstars and am amazed. The effective illumination of the road is better.

If anyone wants to buy an HID kit from me make me an offer. Each was about $300. No reasonable offer will be refused.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
reganfin said:
I bought HID kits for both the low and high beams and have removed them. I bought quality kits with hella ballasts both H1 and H7 bulbs.

The install was simple.

However...
Although the bulbs were very bright the effective light was only slightly better than stock.

I replaced the HID ligths with Silverstars and am amazed. The effective illumination of the road is better.

If anyone wants to buy an HID kit from me make me an offer. Each was about $300. No reasonable offer will be refused.
did you get the Osram or Sylvania Silverstars?
I know they are the same company, but I've read that the Osram's are Euro bulbs that have a better color temperature than the Sylvanias

·
Registered
653 Posts
The sylvania ones. They are blue tinted but still quite bright.

·
Registered
55 Posts
reganfin said:
However...

Errr.. did you install the bulbs in the rear lights? :D Or having a stake in sales of Silverstar bulbs? :p

I've got HID's on my own car (Elise S1) and installed on a couple of S2's (and driven them in de dark) and have always experienced the difference like day and night.

Telling the world that a halogen bulb would outperform or even come close to correctly installed HID's is a bit silly IMHO. :no:

BTW... have you checked the light pattern of both solutions? If the HID's are incorrectly glued into the base, the effect will be quite bad..

·
Registered
970 Posts
reganfin said:

The install was simple.

However...

there must be another explanation for your observations imo...dont see how silverstars can even compare to decent HID's...I have Silverstars on my daily driver and I think they are horrible...cant tell them from standard halogens...pure yellow..HID bulbs put out 3200 lumens!...halogens are closer to 2000...I bet you have reflector housings and the bulbs were not aligned properly...were they Philips or Osram HID bulbs???...or cheap Korean ones...what color temp were they???....with projector housings, HID's are very good

·
Registered
55 Posts
mact3333 said:
were they Philips or Osram HID bulbs???...or cheap Korean ones
mmm... :rolleyes: now THAT is a bit of a problem.. Osram and Philips do not produce H1/H3/H4/H7 fitment HID bulbs. :huh:

They only produce HID bulbs for D1 or D2 fitment (which is the fitment suitable for HID reflector/lense systems.

The producers of aftermarket HID kits produce their own HID bulbs (or buy them from other aftermarket suppliers). The actual bulb is as low tech as a hammer :) well... if you know how to produce gas filled glass, you are in business.
Biggest problem (which might be the problem of reganfin) is the position of this little 'drop' of gas in the fillament.

We've got several sample kits which we will not sell as the light pattern (and thus the position of the actual light source compared to the lense or reflector) is not correct. Only 1mm is killing here!!

IMHO the big suppliers are not playing the aftermarket game because most countries would have a problem with these kits. You might consider THIS stupid as you leave the market open for all sorts of enterprises which really don't mind about the right position of the lightsource.
At the end, an HID bulb is nothing more then a very high intensity bulb. When you place a correctly positioned lightsource in a decent (existing) reflector, there's no problem at all.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
YvoTuk said:
At the end, an HID bulb is nothing more then a very high intensity bulb. When you place a correctly positioned lightsource in a decent (existing) reflector, there's no problem at all.. :rolleyes:
Except that the decent (existing) reflector is not designed for the light pattern of an HID bulb. It's designed for the standard bulb. The position and the direction of the filament/light source also matters a great deal - especially with small projector lights as installed on the Elise.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I hear this quite a bit -- that HID lightsource is somehow so different from a resistive filament that the light is incompatible.

Is this some impossible technical hurdle for bulb manufacturers to overcome? It seems like a discharge arc could be oriented any way they choose -- vertical, horizontal, diagonal..

If the light needs to come from a specific point in the bulb, why can't we put an arc there?

I know it's always easier to look at someone else's technical engineering and say it's easy, but come on.. light has been in development since Prometheus..

·
Registered
55 Posts
TimMullen said:
Except that the decent (existing) reflector is not designed for the light pattern of an HID bulb. It's designed for the standard bulb. The position and the direction of the filament/light source also matters a great deal - especially with small projector lights as installed on the Elise.
I've described the issue about the positioning of the fllament (we did invest quite a lot of money in selecting the right source for the actual lamps).

The direction of the light source is no issue either. The shape of the HID filament determins the radiation pattern of it. The radiation pattern is 99% the same as a Halogen filament.

·
Registered
970 Posts
YvoTuk said:
mmm... :rolleyes: now THAT is a bit of a problem.. Osram and Philips do not produce H1/H3/H4/H7 fitment HID bulbs. :huh:

They only produce HID bulbs for D1 or D2 fitment (which is the fitment suitable for HID reflector/lense systems.

The producers of aftermarket HID kits produce their own HID bulbs (or buy them from other aftermarket suppliers). The actual bulb is as low tech as a hammer :) well... if you know how to produce gas filled glass, you are in business.
Biggest problem (which might be the problem of reganfin) is the position of this little 'drop' of gas in the fillament.

We've got several sample kits which we will not sell as the light pattern (and thus the position of the actual light source compared to the lense or reflector) is not correct. Only 1mm is killing here!!

IMHO the big suppliers are not playing the aftermarket game because most countries would have a problem with these kits. You might consider THIS stupid as you leave the market open for all sorts of enterprises which really don't mind about the right position of the lightsource.

it is true that neither philips or osram produces anything other than the p32d base but that is the reason why other co's buy the bulbs from philips or osram and re-base them...the capsule, salt crystals and groundbar are still philips and osram...only the base is different and made by the aftermkt companies...now there are co's producing their own bulbs but I would never buy those bulbs..:rolleyes:

by the way, i noticed your kit is 7000K...it must not be osram or philips bulbs cause they dont make anything above 6000K....anything above 6000K and you lose luminal intensity...I have had 7000K and they looked very blue and dark so I switched over to 6000K ultinon system, which are white with bluish tinge and with minimal luminal loss compared to 4300K's.

BTW, the reason why the big co's not getting invloved in making HID kits cause they are illegal...:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
mact3333 said:
s n i p
BTW, the reason why the big co's not getting invloved in making HID kits cause they are illegal...:)
They are if they have not been tested with the reflector to see that they meet legal spec. I just saw in the current issue of Cycle World a street legal HID kit for the Harley V-Rod (IIRC). It includes the reflector, which allows the company to insure that they got it right.

An HID replacement in a QH stock fitting will likely have issues with locating the light source as others have posted.

·
Registered
55 Posts
okok.. as mentioned before, The 7000K was a mistake and has been on the site for quite a while without even seeing it :(

Corrected now, the kit we're delivering is 6000K.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts