The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For purposes of getting an RPM signal into a data logger, how is that achieved on an Elise? I have the RacePak G2X logger, and am spliced onto one of the fuel injector wires as a way to get a pulse. This works OK, but sometimes on up shifts, there seems to be a spurious noise spike that registers in the logger as a rev peak of 20K or so (obviosly false). So I wonder if anyone knows of a cleaner way to pick up an RPM signal?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yep, get the MSD Tach pickup, works like a charm. That picture in the link above is excellent. BTW, the MSD does need +12v. I didn't bother switching it, connected it straight to the battery (well, with a fuse).

·
Registered
11 Posts
is it possible to tap onto this wire near the dash rather than going all the way to the engine bay? i have a used Defi rev gauge sitting around and it says that it can be spliced onto the rev signal. i am trying to see if i need the MSD Tach pickup for this gauge

Thanks a million

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is no wire for the tacho to the dash.
The information is sent via CAN-Bus data packets so the is no "pulsed +12v" feed like you get on older cars.
You could tap the can bus but you'd need something like a "canverter" product to decipher the can-bus and turn it into a normal +12 feed. It's possible but considerably more expensive (canverter is somthing like $500).

I like the MSD approach as it's just a clip with no cutting or anything.

According to MSD the ignition pickup will work with +5 to +24v and will always output a +12v signal.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Google tells me there are many people using an MSD inductive pickup with traqmates

when I first installed mine the pickup unit was clipped over the wire I wanted on cyl 1 but it was laying next to the coil from cyl 2. This caused a sparatic idle that smoothed when revs picked up....I adjusted the positioning of the unit so it wasnt laying next to the other coil and it works perfect now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts